Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2018, 12:15 PM

Default Anyone want to rehash oil filters?

So, I'm planning on an oil change next week and I'm ordering some parts. Oil, filter, gaskets, run of the mill stuff and I've started looking at filters..

I've always run a Champion CH48110-1 on our O-320B2B.

But, I'm slightly considering a Tempest or a Napa Gold 1515..

Has anyone switched to the Tempest from a Champion and regretted it yet?

Anyone here go from the Champion to the 1515 and regret it?

I'm not so much looking for the "savings" of the 1515, a $25 filter a couple times a year isn't going to crush me, but paying for it "because airplane" is a principle thing for me.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:53 PM

Jim Winings and myself were the original RV guys that discovered the 1515 filter for use on a Lycoming. We studied all the specs and features, did our own tests, and spread the word after a few years of using them successfully. Saving money on the cost is a minor factor. The major benefit is being able to locally source them on a Saturday afternoon when you discover that you thought you had one on the shelf but didn't. That said I use them on all of the experimental aircraft I maintain and I've had zero problems.

Please don't PM me! Email only!

Bob Japundza CFII A&PIA
N9187P PA-24-260B Comanche, flying
N678X F1 Rocket, under const.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Old 04-02-2018, 01:13 PM

Bob, could you explain how you dealt with the nipple on the Champ filter and no nipple on the 1515 filter. Did you install the nipple in the filter adapter and just spin the 1515 filter on and off like on a car, or did you screw the nipple into the filter each time?

Did you get a nipple from Napa Auto parts, or did you use the nipple from the Champ filter?
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2022 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 04-02-2018, 01:16 PM
been here awhile

Been using Tempest filters for several oil changes. The new ones don't require any lube on the gasket.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Bob, could you explain how you dealt with the nipple on the Champ filter and no nipple on the 1515 filter. Did you install the nipple in the filter adapter and just spin the 1515 filter on and off like on a car, or did you screw the nipple into the filter each time?

Did you get a nipple from Napa Auto parts, or did you use the nipple from the Champ filter?
I removed the nipple from an old filter and simply installed it on the oil filter adapter fitting. After that, it's just like a car. That said, the threads are different between the Champion and the Tempest filters. Both will fit the adapter (obviously), but the Champions I have tried do not engage the Napa unit - but the Tempest nipple does.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
RV-8 - SDS CPI - SOLD
Old 04-02-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
I removed the nipple from an old filter and simply installed it on the oil filter adapter fitting. After that, it's just like a car. That said, the threads are different between the Champion and the Tempest filters. Both will fit the adapter (obviously), but the Champions I have tried do not engage the Napa unit - but the Tempest nipple does.
So, just to clarify I'm reading this correctly, going from Champion to Napa requires a different adapter?

Aren't they both 3/4-16 threads?

Last edited by Tram : 04-02-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post

Yes, just like it is on your car.

I double nut an old Champion or Tempest filter and remove the nipple from a discarded filter. If they are stubborn I'll just cut apart the base of the filter. I then shorten the nipple on the lathe so that there's just enough thread to engage all the threads on the filter. That way you're not spinning the filter endlessly while oil is dripping all over the place. Thread the other side into the filter housing using red loctite and the two double nuts. They are 3/4-16.

Bob Japundza CFII A&PIA
N8155F C150 flying
Old 04-02-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
So, just to clarify I'm reading this correctly, going from Champion to Napa requires a different adapter?

Aren't they both 3/4-16 threads?
3/4-16 on the engine side, but the filter side is different between the champ and tempest. In my case the Tempest nipple was required.

I mention this mainly to warn people of the possibility of a difference. Fortunately, the supply of nipples is as close as the trash can of your local FBO.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
RV-8 - SDS CPI - SOLD
Old 04-02-2018, 02:40 PM

I use the Tempest. Cutting the filters open, the Champion may have one additional pleat but the Tempest is a lot less money.

Have not used the NAPA 1515 filter but have friends that have. They will safety wire it using a hose clamp in a similar way I safety wire the hose clamps on my smoke injectors.

IF you need a nipple, they can be purchased and installed like Bob said. They can be purchased cheaper than what Amazon sells them for.
3,500+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:49 PM

Safety wiring oil filters is one of aviation's greatest mysteries to me.

One other, is safety wiring NPT thread plugs.

In either case, if they're appropriately torqued they will never spin off.

There's no provisions for safety wire on the Rotax 912 oil filter.

So why bother?

Bob Japundza CFII A&PIA
N8155F C150 flying