Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2021, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gereed75 View Post
I recently had a thought about the current state of cockpit instrumentation and avionics.

When I built those many years ago, it was in the infancy of reliable glass. For a variety of reasons, I installed a full set of steam gauges arrayed around an early Dynon D10 For primary attitude reference. Included were some fairly “primitive” navcomm equipment - A Garmin GNC 300, a venerable Kx155 with glideslope and a Garmin Mod C transponder ( a 325 I think) a basic CDI, good coupled autopilot. All good, capable and pretty snazzy at the time.

It wasn’t long that the whole shebang was “obsolete” as full featured glass became available. I soldiered on, even flying a fair amount of single pilot IFR.

Then came the first gen tablet based EFB’s. Wow what an advance!

Those tablets have gotten way better. Now no charts ( I carry two EFB’s - they are so cheap, why not have a backup). I have ADSB in and out (working great with my old transponder) That adds up to lots of GPS receivers, the comms are still working great, flying approaches with geo referenced EFB approach plates is a cake walk.

My point?? - in a way I feel like I leap frogged the whole “glass is great” gap. What I mean is that with good reliable basic instrumentation and nav, and good ADSB, and reliable capable tablet EFB’s, I have pretty much every capability that a full integrated glass cockpit has, but never had to actually go there.

In some ways I feel it actually might have advantages over fully integrated glass - it has more redundancy, I probably won’t ever button myself into a screen I can’t get out of at a critical time, it is comfortably old school and intuitive (at least to me)

Not knocking full glass, it is cool. But for those looking to buy older airplanes, or those looking to spend on new glass, it seems to have fewer advantages now than when it was replacing primitive steam gages and “interpret the needles” nav systems.

Am I missing something?
In my opinion, not missing a thing.
Same path for me.
Same thoughts.
I hope to catch up when the open architecture (hardware and software) revolution finally hits and glass is replaced by a HUD, or better yet, glasses. Watching development and think we are getting close.
Paid dues yearly since 2007
Old 01-02-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
I have Foreflight on my iPhone and my iPad mounted on the dash...love it. I also have a full EFIS in the panel in front of me and another EFIS with moving map right next to it. Those things together give me far more flight and performance data than my iPad does, but more importantly it also gives me my engine managment. Additionally, I can send flight planning data to it from my 430W, or I can enter a flight plan into it directly, or I can design a flight plan on my iPad at home, and upload it to the EFIS when I get to the plane. Then, if I want to, I can couple that flight plan into my autopilot. Naturally, my radios are run by the EFIS, so all the frequencies for my next airport come up on the EFIS and all I have to do it touch the screen to switch frequencies. Dizzying. But yeah....iPads are great.
Just think how cool it would be with open architecture so you can run Foreflight right on you EFIS or run your EFIS on your iPad. Or maybe better yet, buy Garmin’s EFIS software and run it on your Dynon.
Paid dues yearly since 2007
Old 01-02-2021, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gereed75 View Post
Not knocking full glass, it is cool. But for those looking to buy older airplanes, or those looking to spend on new glass, it seems to have fewer advantages now than when it was replacing primitive steam gages and “interpret the needles” nav systems.

Am I missing something?
No. At work I fly a state-of-the-airline-art 787, but in GA I designed my panel so an analog airspeed and altimeter were primary, and the Dynon acted as a MFD for NAV, EMS, etc..

The reason I did this was at work I have another pilot (or two or three) backing me up while I interpret what the display is giving me, but in GA flying I want to be able to easily see out the corner of my eye that my airspeed needle is at the 4 o'clock position and I'm safe, I don't have to run an OODA loop to read a tape to decide if I'm high or low on energy when turning base-final and looking for the guy who called on a straight-in approach without saying how far out he was.

I see people loading airplanes up with glass this and glass that, and I can think is "When the **** hits the fan, and you're looking through the soda straw because of stress, are you REALLY going to be able to remember to do all that AND fly the airplane?"

Last edited by Steve Crewdog : 01-02-2021 at 11:30 PM.