Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrogunner View Post
I second the H2O mobile plan. It's $10 for 90 days text only. Works great with kiaotime cellular switch. If you use the app from switchbox control website, the setup is a snap.
Do you have a link? The only plans I find there are $10 for 90 days but then you have to pay for each text an additional $0.5 per text.
Sadly sold my RV-8 N52VM however I'm still trying to enjoy life by creating an airport with FREE campsites for pilots to come visit www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ WHILE WAITING FOR THE HIGH WING RV15 !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot135pd View Post
Do you have a link? The only plans I find there are $10 for 90 days but then you have to pay for each text an additional $0.5 per text.
That is the plan - you don't have to pay $0.05 per text. You have a $10 pre-paid card, and they deduct $0.05 per text until you have used up the $10. It is good for 3 months, so roughly $3/month.
1978 PA38-112
Old 02-05-2020, 01:15 PM

I just ordered a wifi smart plug. Since I mainly use my iPad to fly, I plan to leave the iPad in the hangar running a hotspot to the wifi plug while the iPad stays plugged in full time. In the future, I may get additional plugs to control when the ipad charges since i have it in my head that it kills the battery over time if it's always plugged in...
Old 02-05-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa38112 View Post
That is the plan - you don't have to pay $0.05 per text. You have a $10 pre-paid card, and they deduct $0.05 per text until you have used up the $10. It is good for 3 months, so roughly $3/month.
So if you call it and nobody picks up it won't charge you? The T-Mobile/UltraMobile $3 plan charges you even if the other side ( RTU 5024 ) doesn't answer the call. Are you using it with a RTU 5024?
Sadly sold my RV-8 N52VM however I'm still trying to enjoy life by creating an airport with FREE campsites for pilots to come visit www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ WHILE WAITING FOR THE HIGH WING RV15 !

Old 02-05-2020, 02:05 PM

Ok I ordered the H20 Sim to see if I can get the darn RTU 5024 thing to work.

Old 02-05-2020, 04:23 PM

Default A little Chinglish

I have to admit the instructions are a little "unclear" and it did take me a few attempts. The initial hurtle is to make sure the sim is "talking" to the network. This can be done by watching the flashing light. Less than one flash a second there are not communication (less than one bar issue I guess). If it's communicating it will flash one time per ~ 2 seconds. You need to tell it your phone number by entering the default password (1234) then the phone number you want it to recognize. (Using 001XXXXXXXXXX)After that pretty easy. You need to program it to stay latched when it receives the text message from your phone. I am not sure how not to use a text when you want to turn it on or off but since I get 50 messages per month for $ 1.50 I did not bother trying to figure this out. I even have the system send me a text response when it latches or unlatches. At 3 cents each it's not an issue. There is a APP (Apple) for the unit that seems to work ok.

I also have a Mini Ipad in the dash that I bring in when I'm not flying and could use this as a hot spot (Did this last year) just prefer not to leave the Ipad in my hangar. Plus I wanted to try this out. I found using the Ipad not fully six-sigma and multiple times came to the airport with the heater off. One thing I did (Mentioned in another post) I installed an old electric clock on the wall that starts when the power comes on. Lets me know exactly how long the heater has been on.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:21 PM

I finally gave up getting support from the SwitchBox folks.

I purchased a Verizon Jetpack 8800L and an Amazon Smartplug.

Good news, it works well with the Alexa app. Since Alexa is really a cloud app, it can manage multiple locations, it has no issues with the Jetpack at the hangar and a different IP subnet. You can use multiple smart plugs to remotely control things. It will also allow for Ring cameras and motion detectors. Imagine knowing when folks are in your hangar when you aren?t there?

Bad news, for other uses, I wanted to establish a site vpn from the hangar to the house. There is apparently numerous folks having issue with the 8800L vpn configuration. It basically rejects saving the client.opvn file, so you can?t even enable the vpn.

I would be interested if anyone has successfully configured an used a vpn connection of a Verizon Jetpack.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:02 PM

I bought an unlocked hotspot on ebay ($25), installed a Google Fi data sim in it and connected a smart outlet to the hotspot via wifi. Google Fi data sims are included with the phone plan. The only cost is for data at the rate of $10/gb. Based on the data useage so far it might cost 30 cents/month. Works great.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:05 PM

I purchased a PowerTXT switch from these folks: https://5gstore.com/search/powertxt/ It was $50 cheaper when I bought it last year, but it includes 1 year of cell service. They sent me an email notification that my service was going to expire next month; it cost $25 to renew for the year. I works here in Colorado with temps below zero Fahrenheit. Super simple to set up and use and in a nice looking, small package. Browse around their website for all sorts of other "toys".
best X-mas present I could have hoped for!
paid 'til 10-19
Old 02-05-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmattmul View Post
I have to admit the instructions are a little "unclear" and it did take me a few attempts. The initial hurtle is to make sure the sim is "talking" to the network. This can be done by watching the flashing light. Less than one flash a second there are not communication (less than one bar issue I guess). If it's communicating it will flash one time per ~ 2 seconds. You need to tell it your phone number by entering the default password (1234) then the phone number you want it to recognize. (Using 001XXXXXXXXXX)After that pretty easy. You need to program it to stay latched when it receives the text message from your phone. I am not sure how not to use a text when you want to turn it on or off but since I get 50 messages per month for $ 1.50 I did not bother trying to figure this out. I even have the system send me a text response when it latches or unlatches. At 3 cents each it's not an issue. There is a APP (Apple) for the unit that seems to work ok.

I also have a Mini Ipad in the dash that I bring in when I'm not flying and could use this as a hot spot (Did this last year) just prefer not to leave the Ipad in my hangar. Plus I wanted to try this out. I found using the Ipad not fully six-sigma and multiple times came to the airport with the heater off. One thing I did (Mentioned in another post) I installed an old electric clock on the wall that starts when the power comes on. Lets me know exactly how long the heater has been on.
See? That part about the light flashing is new to me and I've been emailing the darn seller since last week ! Can't wait for the H20 sim to get here now. Thank you !