Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N42AH View Post
I am using a gmail address and mine still goes to my spam folder because of the lack of information in the "From" address line.

Does anyone have the from address?

Or a solution so I can receive email notifications?
You could create a filter that will mark it as "not spam". You have to do it from a "real" computer, not a phone or tablet (and that includes the web interface from a browser), because the "don't mark as spam" option doesn't appear except on the real computer.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:18 AM

Since it's a little complicated for people who might not be familiar with filters in GMail:

In your Gmail, click the "Gear" icon in the upper right portion of the screen, then choose the "Settings" menu option. A new screen appears. Click the "Filters and Blocked Addresses" link near the top middle of the screen, then click the "Create a new filter" link lower on the screen.

A smaller sub-window will appear where you can configure the filter settings. Under the "Has the words" option, enter "VAF Forums" (including the quotes) and then click the "Continue" link in the lower right. On the next page, check the "Never send it to Spam" option. Click the Update Filter button.

That will create a filter which will cause all future emails with "VAF Forums" somewhere in the email to be placed in your inbox when received, rather than your Spam folder.

I emailed Doug a while back and he indicated there was an update to the forums that would happen at some point in the future which should resolve this, but wasn't clear when. This filter will work around the problem in the meanwhile.

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014 (N88VX reserved)
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)

Last edited by greghughespdx : 09-30-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghughespdx View Post
Since it's a little complicated for people who might not be familiar with filters in GMail:

In your Gmail, click the "Gear" icon in the upper right portion of the screen, then choose the "Settings" menu option. A new screen appears. Click the "Filters and Blocked Addresses" link near the top middle of the screen, then click the "Create a new filter" link lower on the screen.

A smaller sub-window will appear where you can configure the filter settings. Under the "Has the words" option, enter "VAF Forums" (including the quotes) and then click the "Continue" link in the lower right. On the next page, check the "Never send it to Spam" option. Click the Update Filter button.

That will create a filter which will cause all future emails with "VAF Forums" somewhere in the email to be placed in your inbox when received, rather than your Spam folder.

I emailed Doug a while back and he indicated there was an update to the forums that would happen at some point in the future which should resolve this, but wasn't clear when. This filter will work around the problem in the meanwhile.
Thanks, the gmail filter worked!!!
Old 09-30-2015, 12:00 PM

My problems started earlier this year, IIRC. Probably early spring.

Gmail's error message is quite specific, if you look at the email in the spam folder while using the web browser gmail interface (not a client like Thunderbird, etc).

I emailed Doug about this with the specific info several months ago, but never got any response.

Note that 'you' in these messages is referring to the sender (VAF); not us, the recipients.

quote:
Why is this message in Spam? It is in violation of Google's recommended email sender guidelines.
unquote

And details:
quote:

Authentication & Identification
To ensure that Gmail can identify you:

Use a consistent IP address to send bulk mail.
Keep valid reverse DNS records for the IP address(es) from which you send mail, pointing to your domain.
Use the same address in the 'From:' header on every bulk mail you send.
We also recommend the following:

Sign messages with DKIM. We do not authenticate messages signed with keys using fewer than 1024 bits.
Publish an SPF record.
Publish a DMARC policy.
Learn more about email authentication.

Additional guidelines for IPv6

The sending IP must have a PTR record (i.e., a reverse DNS of the sending IP) and it should match the IP obtained via the forward DNS resolution of the hostname specified in the PTR record. Otherwise, mail will be marked as spam or possibly rejected.
The sending domain should pass either SPF check or DKIM check. Otherwise, mail might be marked as spam.
unquote.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:32 PM

It would be nice anyway, independent from the trouble it causes with spam filters, if the e-mails from VAF would include the from information.

AFAIK, this is just a setting in the forum software.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:11 PM

Default It Worked

Greg, thanks your detailed information made it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghughespdx View Post

RV-10 N42AH
RV-9A N42AH - SOLD
Europa Monowheel XS N42EU - SOLD
BH-206B3 N42AH- SOLD
BH-206B3 N43AH - SOLD
Track N42AH/N1FLY
Old 08-15-2016, 11:14 PM

I see it has been a couple years since this thread started. Did anyone ever check with Doug to see what is up with no sender email address for VAF notifications?
1952 Cessna 170B
1947 Aeronca Chief
Old 08-15-2016, 11:20 PM

I just switched to my gmail account. A pain, but it works.

VAF Donation made: 1/28/2020, My RV-7A Build Log
Old 08-16-2016, 03:02 PM

Weird. I use gmail and I don't get the emails. They go to Junk.
1952 Cessna 170B
1947 Aeronca Chief
Old 08-16-2016, 03:13 PM

You can use gmail's 'filter' system (detailed in earlier posts) to force the emails into your inbox or another folder that you specify. It's a kludge workaround, but you can force them into your inbox with some effort. if you use gmail's standard web browser for your email client, you'll get a message bar from gmail above each message saying that you forced the message into your inbox over gmail's warning that something may be wrong with it.

I'm not sure why the owner of this forum won't fix the issue; I'm a member on dozens of other forums, some of which seem to use the same software package, and none of the others have this issue.

Charlie

[ed. The owner (me) is in the process of upgrading the server, so this e-mail issue is on a back burner. v/r,dr]

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 08-16-2016 at 03:35 PM.