What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick travel in roll?

mgomez

Well Known Member
Hi,

Looking at the drawings, I calculated that the stick travels about 20 deg left and right of center to move the ailerons +/- 30 deg. Can any of you please confirm that? My wings are not attached yet.

Thanks and Happy New Year,
Martin

Still waiting

I'm still hoping somebody can answer this question. If you can't measure degrees of stick motion (in roll), then I'll settle for inches, if you tell me the length you trimmed the joystick to.

Thanks in advance.
Martin

Martin,

I can't help with the stick travel you're after, but I needed the same info and did the following:

With the wing in a cradle, attach an aileron pushrod to the bellcrank. Put the aileron in trail and make a mark on the pushrod where it exits the inboard rib. Now move the aileron to full up and make another mark on the push rod. Take the pushrod out of the wing and measure the distance between the marks. Now you can take the pushrod and attach it to the stick and you'll know exactly how far it will need to move. Hope this helps.

Stick travel

mgomez said:
I'm still hoping somebody can answer this question. If you can't measure degrees of stick motion (in roll), then I'll settle for inches, if you tell me the length you trimmed the joystick to.
Just curious, but do you expect a problem in this area?

Sorry, shoulda mentioned that

rv8ch said:
Just curious, but do you expect a problem in this area?

Good point...I probably should've said why I care:

I realize that without the ailerons attached to the stick, the stick travels way more than it will in "real life." Right now, the stick hits my thigh before it moves very far. I'm thinking of installing a center console running from just forward of the fuel valve to the engine controls bracket. My mockup suggests that the edge of the console makes it hard to move my thigh out of the way, thus limiting stick travel. I'm hoping that the aileron stops will keep the stick from moving that far.

I'm trying to decide if a center console is worth the trouble...if it's going to limit stick travel, it most certainly isn't. I'll use the measurement of stick deflection to decide how wide the console can be, and where exactly it can go. Or whether to have one at all.

Next question, obviously is why I want a center console. I don't have a good reason, other than I want one.

mgomez said:
Next question, obviously is why I want a center console. I don't have a good reason, other than I want one.

In my 6A, I wanted a center console also. Then I realized that my right leg would much rather occupy that space for relaxation. Glad I bagged the idea.

However, I know of a 9A with a mighty fine looking center console; but then I have to rest my longer legs over the top of the rudder pedals on long flights to keep comfortable.

Martin,
I see that you are building a slider. Please reconsider a center console. It will make getting under the panel almost impossible. Laying on your back across the spar is bad enough without having a console in the way.
One of my customers has a 2" wide console and even though he has a tip-up, it still takes me twice as long to do maintenance such as working on brakes or anything else in the floor.

mgomez said:
I'm still hoping somebody can answer this question.
Frankly, I'm a little piqued about the lack of answers to this simple question, Martin - I asked this on the Matronics and Yahoo lists and of Van's ages ago and never got a single reply with data. I hereby apologetically add to the list of replies with no data, 'cuz I'm still waiting for it too and don't have wings on.

It would be REALLY REALLY NICE if a few folks with flying planes of different models (-7 and -8 have been explicitly requested) would please measure and publish this otherwise unavailable data that would be so simple to collect. In my mind, it'ud go like this: park on a fairly level surface, hold your level on the stick and hit the stops and record degrees in four directions, then give us your nose-tail attitude off an upper longeron. Five numbers, done deal. Us poor schmucks who aren't flying yet and want to do something that requires the numbers would really appreciate it.

My reasons for wanting the numbers included designing a subfloor mount for my a/p servo, redesigning armrests and panels, knee panel control layout, and laying up a fiberglass -A gear mount cover with storage and water bottle areas. And darnit, I had to abandon or curtail all of above due to the absence of this data.

Anyone who's willing to spend a few minutes to do this, thanks in advance.

Mel said:
Martin,
I see that you are building a slider. Please reconsider a center console. It will make getting under the panel almost impossible. Laying on your back across the spar is bad enough without having a console in the way.
One of my customers has a 2" wide console and even though he has a tip-up, it still takes me twice as long to do maintenance such as working on brakes or anything else in the floor.

Yeah, I thought about that. Even the cardboard mockup makes it hard to get behind the panel. I figure I'll make it removable...still, you're right: it's one more thing to do before you can maintain stuff.

Cheers,
Martin

Martin, for you I walked to the hangar this morning and took some measurments.

With the ailerons centered, the distance from the side wall to the stick center mike button is 12.2". With the stick full left, the distance is 7.0". With the stick full right, the distance is 17.6". Total stick movement is about 10.6" from left to right.

Hope this helps.

It is my judgement, unless you have a very skinny rump room, you will be cramped with a center consol.

dd
RV-7A N707DD

David-aviator said:
Martin, for you I walked to the hangar this morning and took some measurments.

With the ailerons centered, the distance from the side wall to the stick center mike button is 12.2". With the stick full left, the distance is 7.0". With the stick full right, the distance is 17.6". Total stick movement is about 10.6" from left to right.

Hope this helps.

It is my judgement, unless you have a very skinny rump room, you will be cramped with a center consol.

dd
RV-7A N707DD

Thanks, David, I appreciate the effort. I'm pretty skinny. Now, at the risk of asking a personal (and I hope this doesn't get ***'d out), how long is your joystick?

mgomez said:
Thanks, David, I appreciate the effort. I'm pretty skinny. Now, at the risk of asking a personal (and I hope this doesn't get ***'d out), how long is your joystick?

17" down to the bolt in the bell crank. It was cut off so as to clear an instrument sub panel when pushed full nose down - never been anywhere near that extreme in flight. :)

dd

Thanks again!

David-aviator said:
17" down to the bolt in the bell crank. It was cut off so as to clear an instrument sub panel when pushed full nose down - never been anywhere near that extreme in flight. :)

dd

Sweet, David, thank you. That works out to 17 deg each way. So my original calculation of +/- 20 deg was conservative.

Now I can't wait to get home and try it so I can either scrap the center console idea of build it.

Back