What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DMC AFM8 crimper

Daniel S.

Well Known Member
Before I take the plung, does the DMC afm8 crimper do both d-sub & rg400 pins? If so, which positioning pins so I need?

K13 for both male and female Dsub pins.

I cannot tell you about the BNC. I have another crimper for BNC connectors that has a die for the center conductor.

If all else fails, go to Stein Air and look at his tools. He has a list of the positioners for the proper connectors.

For Garmin High Density pins,it is a different positioner for male and female.

http://steinair.com/store.cfm?tlcatid=28

BTW, I have an AFM8. Dsub connectors are so easy to makeup with this crimper, I use them wherever I need to. EBay is the best place to find one. 5 years ago, I bought the crimper and 5 positioners for ~140.

Last edited:
Before I take the plung, does the DMC afm8 crimper do both d-sub & rg400 pins? If so, which positioning pins so I need?

I have this tool, *love* it...but I do not believe there is a position for the RG400 pins for it.

But it is a *very* nice tool...got mine +15 positioners on Ebay a few years back for about $130.

The AFM8 cannot do coax, the AF8 can crimp the pin on RG400 but you would need an HX4 to do the sleeve.

The AFM8 cannot do coax, the AF8 can crimp the pin on RG400 but you would need an HX4 to do the sleeve.

Which positioner would you use for the pin? I can't identify what the pin is in the DMC documents...and did you mean AFM8, or the larger AF8?

I'd love to use the AFM8 for the pins on RG400 if there's a positioner for it...

Like Alton stated, the AFM8 is a great tool for the D-subs. It took me about 3-4 months of bidding to get everything I need off EBay at a good price. Typical of eBay some auctions got too close to new pricing, but people kept bidding anyways.

I used the crimper from SteinAir for the BNCs. It's significantly less expensive.

I figured I'm only going to do a handful of BNC and TNC connectors, so I could tolerate any nuances on an inexpensive tool. Turns out there really weren't any and tool from SteinAir works just fine.

I really like the AFM8 and since there literally hundreds of standard and high density pins if you are doing your own harness, I was more willing to invest in a special tool.

HX4 with Y205P die crimps both pin and sleeve.
AF8 with TH270 does just the pin on RG400

Last edited:
I'm with Bob. Watch eBay. You can pick up the tool and positioners quite reasonably.

Ever wonder where all these Ebay tools like this come from? I bet 90% of em are stolen from someone's work somewhere....

DMC actually has a booklet for this info

Before I take the plunge, does the DMC afm8 crimper do both d-sub & rg400 pins? If so, which positioning pins so I need?

Daniel,
You will need K41 & K42 to do Hi Density DSub pins. FYI, I can email you a copy of DMC's tool catalog and usage guide. It tells you what tool and positions, do each job. Contact me via email if interested. Click on my user name, [above] to get my email address.
Charlie
PS Lurk like a vulture on EBay and you will eventually find good deals on this stuff. I have a few "doubles" of positioners, I'd be willing to part with.

HX4

Looks like this will also do wire terminal crimping with the Y501 dies. I'm going to use it to do the stall warning (Van's) connections.

==dave==

Lots on eBay Lately

Maybe it is budget cuts, I don't know, but lots of AFM8's out there right now. Hard to get one less than $100. Pass on ones that look very used. DMC will rebuild for $100 flat fee.

Positioners - happily i got two positioners with mine, but neither was of any use, so I took one apart, studied the function made precision measurements and made an insert for a K13 in about 30 min on my lathe. I used small dia solder to establish the crimp depth and it works on dSub's great! My plan is to make new inserts for other pins if needed. They must be very precise. .0005" to dimension or better!

BTW - they can not be fully dissembled, or not without removing some press pins. I sent a rough one back (eBay) since it was not the same as the picture, but the seller happily and rapidly replaced with another one posted. The first one did not cycle smoothly, it had sticky regions. Maybe it stuck in place and that is why it was beat up.

+1 on steinair coax crimper - also they have replaceable dies that handle PIDG connectors. Good cost saving, quality tool.

Back