What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Static line

JanRV6UK

Well Known Member
4iy2xw.jpg

I am contemplating the best way to get my static line past the cockpit on my tip up canopy RV6 - What have other people done ? I am considering a hole at the black X location - Will it possibly interfere with the locking mechanism for the tip up canopy ?

Thought on this and possible other options would be much appreciated

Thanks for that Steve - I have seen that photo before - I was not sure if that was of a tip up or a slider - But I see you have a Tip up - so no interference. I will have a look in the 24 years of RVator. Did not spot it last time I looked. Better look again

Avoid water ....

And make sure water will not come into you line through the static port(s) when it rains, or when you wash the airplane. Makes the altimeter oscillate and the AP disconnect...:eek:
Been there done that.

Norvald

Like Vlad

I ran mine the between the rivets similar to the photo (although a little lower like your mark) on my tipper -7. My skins were on and this was a late decision as the plane was purchased in process. Just pay attention to the path through the top rail as it is very difficult to get in there after the skin is on. Just consider wear points etc. as it passes over the main bulkhead with the spar.

You also may want to consider a wire run on the opposite side, as well, for magnetometers etc. to keep them away from other wiring. Again, it is much easier to prepare for this now. My R/S run is also 1/4 in diameter.

The higher the hole (keeping edge distance in mind) better it matches the path through the rail.

Kudos for thinking ahead, doing this now is exactly the right time!

Norvald

This is UK ... It always rains here :) ... What part of Norway are you from ?? Jeg er fra Oslo. Men naa bor jeg i England.

Bill,

Thanks for that - Yes I am trying to think of the wire runs - I am hoping for some good weather next weekend so I can prime my skins - I am not sure about my electrical system yet but have been putting in a number of "holes" .. So hopefully I should be ok ... Good point about the magnetometer. Doing another 1/4 hole on the other side in the same place might be a good place for it - The hole will be to small for any grommets - but filling it with silicone or Pro-seal with the any wires held in the middle until it settles should secure in place and prevent chaffing.

Some good photos on here about how to get the wires over the spar ... Just need to sort out the rear section .... :)

Jan, How many devices will you have that need a static input? I have 7 in my panel and have decided to run two static lines forward from the ports, one down each side of the a/c. This was prompted by a suggestion from Lucas at Trutrak that my autopilot might suffer from 'lag'.
Steve

Hei
Er frå Stadt, flyr ein -6 bygd i USA eigd av ein kamerat. Fekk som nevnt trøbbel etter regnskyll i Fyresdal. Røret gjekk frå eine static port ned og framover, slik at vatnet ikkje rant ut att.
Og friskuftinntaket på eine sida spaya vatn inn når vi starta opp av tilsvarande grunn.

Ting å tenkje på...

Norvald

Thanks for the advice Steve - I will prep the other side in the same way - Then I have to clear runs should I need to static feeds. Not sure how many static feeds I will need.

Hei Norvald - Som gode ting aa huske paa ! Jeg har floyet till Fyresdal from Oslo - Men det var mange aar siden !

Back