Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE JG View Post
Ron did I see a half snap to inverted in your sequence there??
It sure looked like it at the 1:14 mark.

-Marc
Old 08-13-2020, 09:13 AM

Ok Iím a complete rookie. I have done aerobatics in an Extra 300L (Upset recovery training) but would like to do them in my RV8, after getting some training. Oh I need to finish the build to but thatís a different story.

Here is my question.

Should I have a flop tube in one tank for basic aerobics (Loops, rolls, spins) or can I do all that with normal fuel pick ups? Iím not currently installing inverted oil and donít plan to, at least for now.

Thanks
2020 dues paid
Old 08-13-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn View Post
Ok Iím a complete rookie. I have done aerobatics in an Extra 300L (Upset recovery training) but would like to do them in my RV8, after getting some training. Oh I need to finish the build to but thatís a different story.

Here is my question.

Should I have a flop tube in one tank for basic aerobics (Loops, rolls, spins) or can I do all that with normal fuel pick ups? Iím not currently installing inverted oil and donít plan to, at least for now.

Thanks
You only need a flop tube for extended inverted flight. If you have not built your fuel tanks yet then this might be a good time to put a flop tube in one tank. It's cheap and easy. You can do the entire IAC Sportsman sequence without a flop tube but you should have inverted fuel (injection) to do figures correctly. And you will want at least a half-Raven system to keep the belly clean. For positive G maneuvers, loops, barrel rolls, spins, etc. you don't need fuel injection or inverted fuel/oil systems.
VAF 2021 Donor
Old 08-13-2020, 09:40 AM

Great flying and video. I miss that.
WillyEyeBall
Old 08-13-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronschreck View Post
You only need a flop tube for extended inverted flight. If you have not built your fuel tanks yet then this might be a good time to put a flop tube in one tank. It's cheap and easy. You can do the entire IAC Sportsman sequence without a flop tube but you should have inverted fuel (injection) to do figures correctly. And you will want at least a half-Raven system to keep the belly clean. For positive G maneuvers, loops, barrel rolls, spins, etc. you don't need fuel injection or inverted fuel/oil systems.
Thank you! I think Iíll start small (flop tube) and go from there. I have the SDS EFI system and will check out the half-raven.

Thanks again
2020 dues paid
Old 09-02-2020, 11:43 PM

Why no tail slides? Can you do knife edge passes? Do either of those require pushrods for the rudder? Just curios on what the limitation is.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronschreck View Post
No tail slides and keep the Gs and weight within published limits. Have fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNNKnD2N5sI
Nice routine but some of that just sounds so hard on the engine. Is that you Ron? Is that an AEIO- engine? Obviously has inverted fuel and oil and I would assume and aerobatic prop?
Old 09-25-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antknee View Post
Why no tail slides? Can you do knife edge passes? Do either of those require pushrods for the rudder? Just curios on what the limitation is.
It is a Vans prohibited maneuver because the tail is not structurally designed for the loads. As for knife edge passes, pushrods are not required. The correct rudder input will put tension on the appropriate rudder cable. On my RV-8 you can hear some buffeting and wind noise on the canopy.

BTW, I donít think either maneuver is permitted with the RV-10.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Nice routine but some of that just sounds so hard on the engine. Is that you Ron? Is that an AEIO- engine? Obviously has inverted fuel and oil and I would assume and aerobatic prop?
It is hard on the engine, on everything in fact. It is going to be harder on the aircraft than flying at 1 g level flight. Although the airplane is designed for aerobatics, it will require more maintenance and fixing things here and there.

Flying these figures perfectly requires a lot of practice. In order to nail a 1 1/2 turn spin to within 2.5 degrees of rotation and 2.5 degrees of pitch from a perfect vertical line may require a dozen spins in one of many many practice flights. So much for shock cooling!

Iím 99% sure that an AEIO engine is an IO engine with a Christen inverted oil system.

Hereís my Sportsman Known and Free sequences from the 2018 Nationals:

https://nationals-videos-2018.s3.ama...om/IAC1109.mp4

https://nationals-videos-2018.s3.ama...om/IAC1130.mp4
Old 09-25-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Yes, that's me. The engine is a narrow deck IO-360-B1E with standard compression, constant speed prop and inverted fuel and oil. The prop is not an aerobatic CS (ie: counterweighted hub) but I never found the need for that. Aerobatic routine is typically flown at full throttle, full rich and 2700 RPM. That engine went for 2250 hours and I overhauled it just because the plane was down for a cracked canopy. At overhaul the A&P was surprised at how little wear was evident. Crank, cam and case were all good.
Aerobatics are certainly harder on airplanes flown in one G flight but with proper periodic maintenance you can expect engine to go to TBO and beyond and airframes to last indefinitely.
VAF 2021 Donor