Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 10-11-2022, 07:53 PM

Default Life after Laser Mags

My buddy just bought a beautiful RV-9a that has an O-320 and Lasar/Slick mags. It runs great but itís due for the 500hr mag service. Although is still runs great, I donít want the Lasar to fail and Iím thinking about going back to regular mags. Does anybody know what mags and harnesses would be the right ones to order? I donít know if I can reuse the current mag gears, or do we need an impulse gear on the Left side. Also Iíve seen some ignition harness that are excessively long, which ones are better sized lengths?

Last.. whatís the market for a used but good Lasar setup with the special timing buzz box?
RV-8 empenage finished 10-2020

Wings Started.. 11-2020
Old 10-13-2022, 09:15 AM

Tom, does he want to switch to P-Mags? I've had 2 of them on my -4 for a few years now and love them. Cheaper auto Plugs, better starts, 4 knot increase in cruise, among many of the benefits. - Ben
1979 Decathlon (In recovering mode)

KFOK Long Island, N.Y.
Old 10-13-2022, 09:22 AM

I have also run PMAGs on my last three RVs with great success. He can certainly run one PMAG and one Slick and still have about 90% of the benefit of an electronic ignition, if there is an hesitation of for a new system
N258SM RV14A - IO390EXP119 - Out of Paint shop & flying
Dues paid
Old 10-13-2022, 11:14 AM

Slick mags will replace the LASAR mags. You will reuse gears, spark plugs, and spark plug harness. You MAY need something for Tach signal.

Anyone that can work on Slick mags can due the LASAR 500 hour inspection.

LASAR has fallen out of favor by users due to hig cost of parts. Users like me have picked up used LASAR Systems for pennies on the dollar. I can keep my system running the rest of my life without buying expensive new parts. I would not use LASAR on a new project but will keep it working on my 25-year old airplane.

I am not interested in paying for LASAR parts. They can be sold but you may or may not get what they are worth.
3,500+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.

Last edited by RV6_flyer : 10-13-2022 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Add tach signal
Old 10-13-2022, 01:33 PM

I was thinking regular Slick mags, or Pmags.. if I went to regular Slick mags, I may need a spacer for the Left impulse side, and perhaps the impulse gear? I donít know yet, I need to take off the cowl to see whatís on the engine now, but I believe the Lasar use the non impulse gear, and no spacer, right?

Another reason for getting rid of the Lasar is because they seem to cause increased CHT. From what Iíve read, most have CHT increased about 30 degrees. I assume this is due to the advance curve. Will the P-mags also have increased CHT? Could I retard the Lasar mags a little to compensate? I donít like having to throttle back to control CHTs..

Thanks in advance!!

Wings Started.. 11-2020
Old 10-13-2022, 03:07 PM

Tom,

Seems like any ignition system that fits in the mag hole and is driven by the accessory drive gears can be retarded by rotating the ignition system so the timing event occurs later. This is commonly done on Pmags by setting them up a bit after TDC rather than right on TDC.

Check my reasoning on this since it's done off the top of my head: Up to a point, advanced timing will:
1. Increase power at higher altitudes and lean mixtures.
2. Decrease EGT a bit since more of the combustion energy goes to producing power.

Some of the electronic ignitions are a bit too aggressive in their timing advance for those who are based at higher altitudes. An advance that starts to kick in at the MP one sees at 5000' is fine for sea level flyers since they are well into cruise climb at 5000'. An airplane based at 5000' or so is still in takeoff mode when the advance over 25* TDC starts to kick in.

I'm running one Lightspeed ignition on my O-360. LOP cruise EGT's are mid 300's. Field elevation is 4234'. On hot days, a 120 KIAS climb speed keeps CHT's below 400. I feel that having to increase the climb speed is good tradeoff for having increased efficiency at cruise. Therefore, I have not changed my base timing.
Old 10-13-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltruda View Post
Another reason for getting rid of the Lasar is because they seem to cause increased CHT. From what Iíve read, most have CHT increased about 30 degrees. I assume this is due to the advance curve. Will the P-mags also have increased CHT? Could I retard the Lasar mags a little to compensate? I donít like having to throttle back to control CHTs..
Iím having dual PMags installed with my engine rebuild after a prop strike at this yearís AirVenture. I also had some concerns about an increase in CHTs because of the automatic spark advance built into PMags. Those concerns have somewhat been reduced by what I read in the EMag Ďinstallation and operating manualí when setting the timing.

ďCLOCKING: Set timing with the engine positioned slightly after TDC (1-6 degrees). Greater offsets will produce greater retard (less aggressive advance).
Jim Harris, 2008 RV7A, 2nd owner, N523RM (2015) Superior XPIO-360 B1AA2, Hartzel CS prop, Dual GRT Horizon EX with ARINC, EIS, Garmin 340, 335 w/WAAS gps, Dual 430s (non-WAAS), TruTrak 385 A/P with auto-level & auto-trim, Tosten 6 button Military Grips, FlightBox wired to EX, Dynon D10A w/battery backup, 406 MHz ELT., Mountain High O2, CO2 monitor, Custom Interior, TS Flightline hoses, ETX900 Battery.
Retired - Living the dream - going broke!
Old 10-13-2022, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltruda View Post
I was thinking regular Slick mags, or Pmags.. if I went to regular Slick mags, I may need a spacer for the Left impulse side, and perhaps the impulse gear? I donít know yet, I need to take off the cowl to see whatís on the engine now, but I believe the Lasar use the non impulse gear, and no spacer, right?

Thanks in advance!!
They exist both with and without an impulse coupling you will have to take a look.

The last one took off had an impulse with spacer on the left side but I don't know how common an option that was. Would have been a straight swap to a standard impulse mag.

Derek
2022 dues paid
Old 10-14-2022, 09:42 AM

Default Implication?

It sounds like we should always aim for less CHT? So if we retard our mags, we get less CHT (and less power), and this makes things right with the world? If 20 degrees reduces CHT, and 15, reduces it more... A rhetorical question! And I think an odd one given how folks feel about engine size

My data point - I have a Lightspeed. Always had it. 2nd is a Bendix. The lightspeed advances once the % power is below 75% (this is a bit of a simplification). I can't say I've seen excessive CHT due to the Lightspeed advance. Whenever I've seen high CHT it was very high ambient temps, break in hours, or extended slow flight in hot weather. I consider high CHT to be over 400.

I have no interest in pulling the Lightspeed (which gives easy starts) and going back to dual mags.
Old 10-20-2022, 03:20 PM

Looks like we have a mag spacer on the left Lasar/slick mag.. does that mean the gear on that mag will fit up to the impulse coupling on a Standard 4373 mag?

Wings Started.. 11-2020