Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 08-17-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
I see. In post #17 I was saying that attaching an AL plate to the rear side (backside) of the cooler, as you did, only raised the oil temps about 10F. Placing the AL foil tape to the front of the cooler is much more effective since it blocks flow though the cooler.

Glad the pic helped.
So far that's the impression I'm getting...that if you have to block off the cooler it's more effective to block it off on the air intake side.

I think I might look into an Anti-Splat baffle and see what it takes to run a cable from that to a knob in the cockpit.
Old 10-12-2022, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saville View Post
I think I might look into an Anti-Splat baffle and see what it takes to run a cable from that to a knob in the cockpit.
I ordered the Anti-splat baffle in advance of doing our first oil change. Although it seems to be really well designed and made - I discovered that with all the added rivets and hard to access screws (up against firewall and blocked by brackets) mounting the duct shroud to the oil cooler - it just wasn't worth the effort. The previous owner used the foil tape over most of the inlet method and we may have to go that route too.
Old 10-12-2022, 08:37 AM

Default 2 Follow-up Questions

New RV6A owner - so pardon my beginner questions...
As fall temps arrive here in Wisconsin we also are having difficulty getting the oil temp up above 160 on 24/24 cruise during late summer Wisconsin flights so we're concerned what it will be like when the cold really hits.
1) After reading this thread I'd like to remove and test our (0-360 A1A) engine's Vernatherm - but even after looking at the provided diagrams (but not while in front of the engine) I'm having a hard time figuring out where it is. Can any one point me to the right area?
2) Due to all the added rivets and hard to access screws (up against firewall and blocked by brackets) holding the duct shroud to the oil cooler - trying to install Anti-splat's oil cooler baffle would be pretty difficult. So alternately, does anyone knows a source for an inline cable controlled baffle (e.g. swing gate) for a 3" hose? I could mount it between the hose's inlet plate and the hose or possibly even inline in the 3" hose.

Last edited by dbier99 : 10-12-2022 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbier99 View Post
1) After reading this thread I'd like to remove and test our (0-360 A1A) engine's Vernatherm - but even after looking at the provided diagrams (but not while in front of the engine) I'm having a hard time figuring out where it is. Can any one point me to the right area?
Exact location depends on which oil filter adapter you have installed. If the standard Lycoming adapter (filter is horizontal, pointing aft), it's #8 in the attached photo. It screws into the bottom of the adapter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lyc Oil Filter Adapter 1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	32106  Click image for larger version

Name:	Lyc Oil Filter Adapter 2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	32107  Click image for larger version

Name:	Dave Prizio Kitplanes.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	32108  
Old 10-12-2022, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Exact location depends on which oil filter adapter you have installed. If the standard Lycoming adapter (filter is horizontal, pointing aft), it's #8 in the attached photo. It screws into the bottom of the adapter.
Thanks, the picture is a great help! Ours is the horizontal mounted filter.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:53 AM

I have a similar issue with my O-360 powered RV6, which has a firewall mounted 7 row cooler, fed with a 3 scat tube. I saw 180* oil temps during my first flights when the surface temps were in the 85-90* range. Now that the OAT has cooled and my engine is broken in (40 hours), Im seeing oil temps in the 145-160 range with OATs in the 45-50* range. I made a baffle to go in front of the oil cooler scat hose attachment as shown:

Click image for larger version

Name:	8621FDC4-B38B-4448-AC95-79C1D5965C51.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	382.9 KB
ID:	32110

This helped a little on the oil temp (5*), but also lowered the #4 CHT by about 10*, which still runs a little hot in full power climbs (385-400). Ill be covering the bottom half of my 3 opening with Al tape like RV8JD has done to see if that helps - still keeping that added baffle.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019/sold2021
RV6/August 2022 build - Flying
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2022
Old 10-12-2022, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hersha View Post
I have a similar issue with my O-360 powered RV6, which has a firewall mounted 7 row cooler, fed with a 3 scat tube. I saw 180* oil temps during my first flights when the surface temps were in the 85-90* range. Now that the OAT has cooled and my engine is broken in (40 hours), Im seeing oil temps in the 145-160 range with OATs in the 45-50* range. I made a baffle to go in front of the oil cooler scat hose attachment as shown:

This helped a little on the oil temp (5*), but also lowered the #4 CHT by about 10*, which still runs a little hot in full power climbs (385-400). Ill be covering the bottom half of my 3 opening with Al tape like RV8JD has done to see if that helps - still keeping that added baffle.
Thanks for the picture! I wish I were that handy with fabrication. Is there a control cable (not visible in pic) that allows you to open/close the baffle in flight?
Also I should have mentioned that the oil temps I mentioned are WITH 2/3 of the 3" opening already taped over with alum tape by the previous owner. I'm hesitant to cover it further.
Old 10-12-2022, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbier99 View Post
I ordered the Anti-splat baffle in advance of doing our first oil change. Although it seems to be really well designed and made - I discovered that with all the added rivets and hard to access screws (up against firewall and blocked by brackets) mounting the duct shroud to the oil cooler - it just wasn't worth the effort. The previous owner used the foil tape over most of the inlet method and we may have to go that route too.
My oil cooler is mounted to the engine baffle so I don't know what the issues would be in installing an Anti-splat shutter between the oil cooler and the baffle.

All this Summer, I kept the airflow blocking plate - which is mounted directly to the after end of the oil cooler - on. I got good oils temps. The highest the temperature got was when I was in a long line of planes holding short, waiting for multiple planes to land between each takeoff. The oil temp got up to 194.

But that means that this Winter, I'll have to do something else to keep the oil warm until I decide whether or not to go with the anti-splat. Maybe tape across the baffle in front of the oil cooler.
Old 10-12-2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saville View Post
So far that's the impression I'm getting...that if you have to block off the cooler it's more effective to block it off on the air intake side.

That has been exactly the same experience as I had. I made a shutter for my RV7A which is available for anyone who is interested that would block the air on the aft side of the cooler but it raised the temp only about 10F.

I switched to a shutter type the blocks the air from the front and it was supper effective.
N258SM RV14A - IO390EXP119 - Out of Paint shop & flying
Dues paid
Old 10-12-2022, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafa View Post
That has been exactly the same experience as I had. I made a shutter for my RV7A which is available for anyone who is interested that would block the air on the aft side of the cooler but it raised the temp only about 10F.

I switched to a shutter type the blocks the air from the front and it was supper effective.
Would love to see a picture/drawing of you shutter. Is it a slide style of flap door style?