What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Builder Hints

Deburring the inside of flanges with the speed deburring tool

So, I was struggling to figure out how to use the speed deburring tool from Aircraft Spruce on the inside flanges of ribs and spar channels. It is difficult to keep a perpendicular angle in tight spaces. Without the perpendicular angle you risk getting an oblong hole instead of a circular one. Came up with the idea of installing the bit into the end of the 90 degree angle attachment (which comes in the Aircraft Spruce RV Tool Kit as well) and hand turning the shafts that would otherwise be inserted into the air drill. This works out really well. Dunno if someone else already posted this idea or not, but it seemed too "Eureka!" not to share.

20161229_153816_zps52pbnsa8.jpg

Last edited:
Deburring

So, I was struggling to figure out how to use the speed deburring tool from Aircraft Spruce on the inside flanges of ribs and spar channels. It is difficult to keep a perpendicular angle in tight spaces. Without the perpendicular angle you risk getting an oblong hole instead of a circular one. Came up with the idea of installing the bit into the end of the 90 degree angle attachment (which comes in the Aircraft Spruce RV Tool Kit as well) and hand turning the shafts that would otherwise be inserted into the air drill. This works out really well. Dunno if someone else already posted this idea or not, but it seemed too "Eureka!" not to share.

Similar, but my tip ran in Kitplanes.
Run a 1/4-28 die over the shaft of the 90 degree adapter. Screw the adapter into the speed debur handle. Now you have a 90 degree debur speed tool.
2432dcx.jpg

Last edited:
Builder's Checklist

We all know how important checklists are before, during and after flights but consider using one for building as well. Start it early. I use one and it's really handy.
All those little (or big) things you have to postpone for whatever reason should be added to the list. Keep it handy in the shop and scratch items off as they get done. You'll sleep better.
Mine is a spreadsheet. I print the latest and write notes on it like date of completion or new items. When I update my builder log, it gets updated too and a new one printed.
Anything works from a chalkboard to a big poster board or spreadsheet. The point is don't assume you can remember all those little things. There's so many of them.

Wing skin countersinking

When countersinking the gazillion wing spar rivet holes, dont wear socks with no shoes. And if you do, don't wash the socks with your wife's bra.

...idea emailed to me by Terry Ruprecht. Great idea for a thread :)

RV Beginner Builder Hint #1:
When a small shiny tool rolls out of place on the work table, do NOT reach over lightning-like and move it back by the shiny end. It may be a soldering iron.

RV Beginner Builder Hint #2:
Unusual smells in the shop may include burning skin.

Adendum to #1: don't worry about blowing on the glowing end to cool it off - if your not paying close attention - you might smack yourself in the lip.
it leaves a nasty burn.

When countersinking the gazillion wing spar rivet holes, dont wear socks with no shoes. And if you do, don't wash the socks with your wife's bra.

Same for the jeans and tee shirt you were wearing while grinding fiberglass...

Why is it so hard.

Deep thought #1
26 inches on a tape measure looks a lot like 29 inches when looking at the tape upside down. Way different results though!

Sides of the rule

-> One side of the rule is divided into 1/8ths. -> The other side is divided into 1/10ths.

Note which side you're on.

It's impossible for a Sharpie to drop top end down. They always land on the point.

The points are apparently designed to break off and disappear when that happens. It must have taken a lot of development to achieve that result since it reliably happens every time.

Dave

Always keep a supply of those hard to get hourglass shaped rivets on hand!

Pay attention to areas of the drawing where no rivet is to be installed until later in the process.

Tors head screws (100 degree, not hardware store ones) are a lot easier to remove than buggering up a phillips head stainless!

Find a way to keep the cold air from the canopy guide area off your wife's neck!

Gary

It's impossible for a Sharpie to drop top end down. They always land on the point.
The points are apparently designed to break off and disappear when that happens. It must have taken a lot of development to achieve that result since it reliably happens every time.
Dave

The same with ball point pens. But, Only if the cartridge is full. Never happens after the ink is low.

How many licks?

"How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop?"
Or,
How many times do you have to drill into your fingers to find a simple solution.
simpleTool.jpg

Wood block

Even when using a block, It's amazing how often the drill will find a "pre-drilled" hole and zip right through.

It's a good idea, and it works, but...
I've built a lot of furniture. Wood has hard and soft areas. Drill bit may find a soft or hard area and wander off creating an oval hole. Bore a shallow hole in the block so the bit hits dead space when it exits. Still saves the fingers!

Tape to Eliminate Chips in Cracks

We put tape covering places where we don't what chips to land when drilling. In this pic, its covering the gap between the main spar step bar and the flange of the spar itself.

We hope this helps someone.

Cheers!
Mike

Attachments

• 20220827_093438[1].jpg
    20220827_093438[1].jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 210
Tape over rear fuse J-Stringers

We put tape covering places where we don't what chips to land when drilling. In this pic, its covering the gap between the main spar step bar and the flange of the spar itself.

We hope this helps someone.

Cheers!
Mike

I did pretty much the same thing on the J-stringers in the rear fuse - once it's right side up and fitting top skins etc there is swarf / chips all over the place.

Even the best prevention measures can be thwarted.

If you've hung something from the garage door opener track to paint it, don't open the garage door to air the place out.

Even if the paint has dried to the touch.

Sigh.....

Dave

If you have a tip up, left the tip up open and have removed the vice-grips on the garage door track, pray you have already ensured the canopy does not touch anywhere when you open the overhead door, and it automatically closes the canopy for you. It left a barely visible scuff where the door gently pushed on the canopy plexiglass until it fell on its own.

Think about the feeling when your back is turned and you hear that thunk sound.:eek:

RV Beginner Builder Hint #4:
You're going to drill a whole in yourself at some point. Try to use a small bit, so it won't hurt as much. (I didn't!)

#40 didn't hurt (note, that’s the exit wound you see here)

Attachments

• 20220915_212056.jpg
    20220915_212056.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
New builder tip

This is possibly the most important tip of all.
Some days you get the bear. Some days the bear gets you.
It's important to recognize a bad day and change gears before something expensive happens.
They don't happen often and I have no psychology degree. Just learn to recognize it and find something else to work on. Sweep, organize, inventory. Whatever.
It's so weird. When a bad day happens, it doesn't matter what I do, it ends up foul. Even sweeping can end up a mess.
I had one today. Felt it coming. Thankfully, just a couple holes in fiberglass easily repaired. I quit and did something else.

Riveting a Protruding Head Rivet with a Female Dimple Die

A student at the local high school did this on his practice kit. It leaves a grotesquely malformed rivet head. And the dimple die got stuck on it, too.

Don't do this.

Dave

Back