What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Installing washers or nuts in tight spaces

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
For installing washers, or nuts in tight spaces, you know the kind where you can get a finger in, but keep loosing the part---------

Get a tube of glue stick, the kind that office supply stores sell for a buck or so, your kid probably has some, assuming you have kids around.

A quick wipe of the glue stick to your finger, and -----no more dropped washer or nuts.

Works much better than the old trick of wrapping duct tape adhesive side out on the finger.

This would also work on a strip of alum, or wood ETC.

Now, if I go out and by a case of glue sticks for a discount price---say half a buck each, re label them as "Aircraft Hardware Installation Adhesive", I can sell them for $10.00.

I'm gonna be rich!!!!!!!!

Interesting that you're using a product for the exact opposite purpose it was intended - to keep glue off yer fingers.

Different "Glue"

..A dab of old fashioned automotive grease (or aeroshell if you have the $$$)..works just as good and it's not hard to remove from your hands...:)

..A dab of old fashioned automotive grease (or aeroshell if you have the $$$)..works just as good and it's not hard to remove from your hands...:)

Yep, BTDT. Works well also.

But, the glue stick dries on your finger quickly, just rub your finger and thumb together and it all rolls off. Grease gets all over everything.

Magnetic Finger Glove

I was shopping for some motorcycle stuff and came across a magnetic finger glove from San Diego Sport Cycles, 619-464-6255, part # 21-0016 for $10.90. Can't believe how well it works! It is on my shop bench for the duration.

For those of you that are on tight budget that use grease on your fingers to hold washers to them. Instead of wiping the grease off on a rag or your jeans wipe your finger of on the push-tube bearings or rudder bearings etc. By the time yo have the plane built all of the places that need greasing will be done. Saving both time and money spent on grease.

This will help too!

To get things into tight places you can also use some things that fit better in tight places.

The Mini pattern nuts MS21042 will fit in smaller places than the full pattern nuts. they are just as strong and are temp rated to 450 deg f. that means they can be used in the engine compartment (but not as exhaust component, see ms21043for that).

These are the modern nut that most new aircraft are being constructed with.

If you need a small area washer too use the NAS620 series. They come in a variety of materials.

One thing to watch for is the smaller footprints of this hardware may not work for softer or thinner materials if the tension load is significant. Any proper airframe construction should have been designed to minimize these types of installations, so it should not be a frequent problem.

Holding my mouth right

Kept dropping washers, came on here looking for ideas and saw this thread. Did some thinking on it and came up with these 2 ideas:

1. Adhesive foam on the end of needlenose pliers can hold a washer stack, but very sensitive to a change of pressure.

2. If the above method can't be done without dropping parts, then I cut a piece of cardboard with just enough tape to hold things for positioning.

If there are better ways, I welcome them! :)

Attachments

• Washerstack.jpg
    Washerstack.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 104
Someone (Cleveland? I forget) sells a tool for this, of course. It's a set of metal pieces, the same thickness as the washer, with a hole at one end slightly smaller than the washer. The tool is split right up the middle, so it's a bit 'springy'. Spring apart, put washer in the hole, let it spring back, it holds the washer. Once in place, it's easy to pull the tool off. Worth every penny, unless you actually like having grease or glue on your fingers.

Washer wrenches

Someone (Cleveland? I forget) sells a tool for this, of course. It's a set of metal pieces, the same thickness as the washer, with a hole at one end slightly smaller than the washer. The tool is split right up the middle, so it's a bit 'springy'. Spring apart, put washer in the hole, let it spring back, it holds the washer. Once in place, it's easy to pull the tool off. Worth every penny, unless you actually like having grease or glue on your fingers.

They are called washer wrenches. You can find them at Aircraft Spruce, Wicks, The Yard Store and others.
W_A_1.jpg

They are called washer wrenches. You can find them at Aircraft Spruce, Wicks, The Yard Store and others.
W_A_1.jpg

When installing pairs of washers, like when installing the elevators, it is especially helpful if you can borrow a second set of these from a buddy. Not sure how to do it without them.

Can not compete for best way, but someone recommended super glue to stick the washer stacks together. It works great but only useful after you know the correct spacing.

Also, they make a fancy washer holder. I was busy, did not want to wait - oh . . and cheap, so used a piece of scrap .032, drilled a hole with step drill a tiny bit small, slit the thing with a dremel then filed relief arcs so the washer would only contact at 3 points. 2 points and it spins like a coin.

It took about 20 min to make and has been a go-to tool ever since the build stage. Only one size made.

Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 8.41.16 AM.png

I use a tiny dab of fuel lube on my finger. That stuff is just sticky enough to hold things as heavy as a -4 sized nut to my finger.

Back