What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bending aluminum L-Profile

KayS

Well Known Member
we all use fluting pliers to bend thin aluminum L-profiles inwards. but now i have to bend the L-profile slightly outwards in the other direction where fluting doesn't help.

i could cut one flange, bend the profile and reconnect the split flange with a piece of riveted aluminum. but i like to avoid that.

is there any other way that comes to mind?

thank you
Kay

Form blocks?

Could you maybe start with a flat piece of sheet and use a rubber mallet to bend if over a curved wooden template that matches the shape? Otherwise, 6061 angle is soft enough to stretch bend slightly by hand.

What are you making? here's a simply method

Depending on the structural integrity of such part your making, and you don't own a stretcher, I use a simple method of hammering the flange against a bucking bar of anvil (smooth) with a hammer (also smooth). As you carefully hammer the flange slightly thinner, it will stretch and form a curve in the direction you are desiring. I do this with ribs and such needing corrected and other sheet material parts. Extrusions are a little tricky, but can be done the same way. keep in mind, this is for very gentle bends, and you have work slowly concentrating the hammering on the outer 1/3rd of the flange more so than near the radius. Practice with some scraps first. A final scotchbrite clean-up will finish the surface back smooth.

If you have a pneumatic squeezer install to full diameter flat sets, they are slightly crowned already. Use that to squeeze the flange to flatten and stretch it. The sets will slightly extrude the metal each cycle. Go slowly to ensure it is not over done. It works on 6061 but not sure of success on 2024.

A hand squeezer may work, I have not tried one.

Otherwise, it is hammer and dolly. :eek:

Thank you for the great inputs!!!!!!!!!

the material i didn't mention before is 6061-T6 and the L-profile is used on the wing ribs. i will try the hammer and squeezer method on some scrap. the required bend is really gentle.

i lend my pneumatic squeezer to another guy that started building an RV7 so my hand squeezer must do the job.

btw... the question came up with my new project (hummel ultracruiser). can't afford to build a second RV. i hope that doesn't qualify me to get banned.

again... thanks for the help. this site is great.

Cheers from Germany
Kay

i tested bending with the hand squeezer... works like a charm!

i found out that you can use a simple vise too. just fabricate something that holds the flush dies and you're good to go.

thanks again for the help. i wouldn't have figured that out myself.

Kay

Back