What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Taping the Canopy

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
I'm closing in on installing my canopy. Fastback 8. The Showplanes instructions say to carefully tape off areas which should not contact adhesive, or should not be sanded prior to adhearing. I've been using painter's tape so far to minimize the residue, but I'm wondering if there is something more substantial I could use? Electrician's tape? Something else?

3M Fine Line

I'm closing in on installing my canopy. Fastback 8. The Showplanes instructions say to carefully tape off areas which should not contact adhesive, or should not be sanded prior to adhearing. I've been using painter's tape so far to minimize the residue, but I'm wondering if there is something more substantial I could use? Electrician's tape? Something else?

I definitely don't recommend electrical tape. Especially if you are in a warm climate. Many have used it but why chance it. 3M Fine Line is designed to handle the epoxies we used and cleaners. They are also designed to lay down a curve without pulling up or away. Use it for the first and second layers. Anything that is just protection after that any tape will work.

Fine Line is expensive but so is the canopy. I think I spent $30 on Fine Line. Well worth it in my opinion. Get 1/2" and 1/4".

I definitely don't recommend electrical tape. Especially if you are in a warm climate. Many have used it but why chance it. 3M Fine Line is designed to handle the epoxies we used and cleaners. They are also designed to lay down a curve without pulling up or away. Use it for the first and second layers. Anything that is just protection after that any tape will work.

Fine Line is expensive but so is the canopy. I think I spent $30 on Fine Line. Well worth it in my opinion. Get 1/2" and 1/4".

Agree. Spend on the 3M. Use electrical over it if you need a wider protection. Nothing worse than a cheap tape failure.

I had the electrical tape on for over a year and it worked fine - no issue. When I had to re-do the aluminum skirt and do a new layup, I used it again and no issues. Im sure fine line will work great too.

The Vans publication for canopy care recommends against using electrical tape long term, if I recall correctly, because some brands of adhesive may react with the canopy plexiglass.

The other recent thread on this topic recommended crash tape film, which is the material that tow truck drivers wrap around broken windows and car parts when transporting a wreck.

My canopy is currently covered with kraft paper held down with high quality long life masking tape, stored up and out of harm's way under a padded blanket.

The Vans publication for canopy care recommends against using electrical tape long term, if I recall correctly, because some brands of adhesive may react with the canopy plexiglass.

The other recent thread on this topic recommended crash tape film, which is the material that tow truck drivers wrap around broken windows and car parts when transporting a wreck.

My canopy is currently covered with kraft paper held down with high quality long life masking tape, stored up and out of harm's way under a padded blanket.

FYI kraft paper is an abrasive. Try it on some scraps.

Vinyl will bond to epoxy and soften in solvents

Electrical tape and anything vinyl can work and can fail depending on chemistry .
Polyethylene based tapes are certain to release and also protect adhesive and substrate under it.
There are purposeful PE tapes for painting and stucco .

Back