What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Plans section 5

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
Lots of posts over the years have been about things that are already explained in section 5 of the plans---and all models have the same section 5.

Many folks have bought instead of building their RV, so that basic information may not be available to them.

So, to make this easier to find in the future, I present to you--------

http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/revisions/RV-ALL_05.pdf

Last edited:
Everything that comes with the preview plans including section 5 is on the CD available from Van's. What, $10? Even if you have all the paperwork, you should have this CD.

$10 plus...

the cost of a PC or Mac with an optical drive. There's not a machine in my household that still has one anymore. Nor at work.

A thumb drive or downloadable PDF might be more with the times.

-Stormy

the cost of a PC or Mac with an optical drive. There's not a machine in my household that still has one anymore. Nor at work.

-Stormy

I bet the Vans guys would gladly transfer that for you if you send them $10 and a thumb drive. That way you get all the details that go with it. There are several files on the disc.

I maintain a custom i7 quad for just this purpose, but even one machine with windows is too much to maintain. How can MS stay in business?

I still think they should just make it available as a download. Pay the $10, get the link to download it (the chance of people making illegal copies is actually smaller since it's easy for anyone to pay and get).

I personally just put all the files from mine on my Google Drive, can open it anywhere including my cell phone (useful for instance in those garage moments when I'm building a part that's only used in a later kit I don't have yet and I'm wondering how it fits)

-Stormy

Open your wallet Stormy! I just bought one last week so we can show movies on our hangar door!

Wow look at those revisions!

Thanks Mike:

I looked over the Section 5 and found many items had been revised since my copy of 2009.

Thanks
Dave C.

FYI: the plans set does come on a thumb/flash drive now. Bought one a few weeks ago.

Not quite

-Stormy

You'd never make it as a purchasing agent. All you would need to do is buy an external CD / DVD player. Or you could simply buy an internal optical drive from a vendor like newegg.com. Quality, name brand internal Optical drives can be purchased from Newegg and their competitors for about $15.

Charlie

I'm a new builder and ordered the empenage kit. I expected there to be a nice manual, bound, with all the drawings. I got a USB and only the tail docs included. In short, I thought the "Preview Plans" would be included.

Is it worth paying $55 to have Vans print them out nicely and bind them? Is there anything I'm missing? Some of the pages seem to be 8.5x11 and others 17x11 with side by side pages, so it's kind of a mess to print.

Hardcopy plans

What airplane are you building? There should be a some-assembly-required manual/ plans pages included.

Is there a light blue binder cover?

Last edited:
I'm a new builder and ordered the empenage kit. I expected there to be a nice manual, bound, with all the drawings. I got a USB and only the tail docs included. In short, I thought the "Preview Plans" would be included.

Is it worth paying $55 to have Vans print them out nicely and bind them? Is there anything I'm missing? Some of the pages seem to be 8.5x11 and others 17x11 with side by side pages, so it's kind of a mess to print.

The large format printed plans will arrive with each kit. Seems like you have a PDF plans and your current kit printed plans...worked for me.

Preview plans

In my opinion, yes. However, as you mentioned, printing is a mess. Some pages are landscape, some portrait, some 8.5x11, some 11x17. It's tough just printing revisions.
I have an extra Preview Plans Manual if you want it. I don't use it. You may have to print some of the revisions for it. Shoot me an e-mail or come up. I'm building a 7A in Estes Park.
You will get full size plans, ~24x36, with each kit. Buil a plans easel somewhere in the shop.
Those of us not building a 14 have to work with what we can!:D

Last edited:
Back