What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Drilling out Rivets

My process for drilling out rivets. I think there are a couple of unique tricks here from what I've read:

1. Center punch the manufactured head using a spring-loaded center punch. When possible use the identifier dimple on AD rivets as the guide to the center of the rivet.

2. Deepen the center-punched mark using 6 - 8 turns of my fluted debur tool. Firm pressure. (https://www.cleavelandtool.com/collections/drilling-and-deburring/products/speed-debur-and-countersink-set) This step is key for me. A jobber drill bit is much less likely to wander in the deeper/wider center-punch mark made with the debur tool.

3. Use a #40 or #30 drill bit, depending on rivet size, to drill just deep enough that the head can be snapped off using the appropriate sized punch.

4. Snap the manufactured head off with a punch.

5. Using a bucking bar to support material on the back side, and my spring-loaded center punch. Pop the shank out the back. I find that 4 or 5 snaps of the spring loaded center-punch will usually pop the shank out.

They should make a spring loaded punch with a #40 and #30 punch on it instead of a center punch! It makes this job doable with 2 hands, rather than 3.

Michael-

Dome Rivet drill guide

With all the rivet drilling that will be from the laser cut problem, there may be a helper tool about ready. I was messaging Steve Melton the other day and saw he was developing a guide to fit over domes rivets. It looked pretty nice. He was working on a flush tool but had not solved that problem yet.

He doesnt come on here anymore but easy to find if he isnt out on his Zizzo Folding bike somewhere!

With all the rivet drilling that will be from the laser cut problem, there may be a helper tool about ready. I was messaging Steve Melton the other day and saw he was developing a guide to fit over domes rivets. It looked pretty nice. He was working on a flush tool but had not solved that problem yet.

He doesnt come on here anymore but easy to find if he isnt out on his Zizzo Folding bike somewhere!

I inherited one of these from my dads tool kit. Only used it maybe half a dozen times in 20y but it sure makes universal rivet removal a no brainer. ATS sells them for about $50.

In addition to the advice above for snapping the heads off and then punching out etc, I also like to drill into the remaining shank 1/2-2/3 of the depth with a smalller bit as well - then punch out. Easy on AD4 trickier on AD3s.

IMG_8262.jpeg

Back