What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carlos, and GRT----The Gold Standard of service.

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
I have just gotten my GRT EFIS screens back on line after having a software glitch while at Vettermans flyin.

I sent the ailing box back to GRT, and the problem was in the OS, so they reloaded things for me. Total cost??? Shipping charges. And these are way out of warranty.

Only one problem, they were not able to save the settings, and I did not know at the time that I could have backed up the settings. So, I ended up having to enter everything by hand, which was a long and frustrating task, considering my level of computer savvy. I got as far as I could on my own, and finally gave Carlos a call.

Without any knowledge of how the panel is wired, Carlso was able to guide me through the process in about 30-45 minutes-----including a lot of trial and error to determine which of the six serial input/output pairs was hooked up to what-----basically a process of elimination on his part.

All is now up and running happily, and I have a saved copy of the settings for each of the GRT units.

As the second owner of these units, I am both amazed and grateful for the level of support that I have gotten from GRT.

Yup - a cell phone and Carlos and you're all set! :)

On our recent western trip, I experienced the first hardware failure I can recall in the GRT system in the Val - the back light failed on my #1 display Unit. The computer was still running, and with sufficient sunlight, you could see that the displays were being driven - this meant that we could still operate the autopilot and other ancillary functions through the remaining display.

I traded notes with Carlos to determine that it was just the back light, and he offered to send an emergency unit out to us if I wanted it for the trip - an outstanding offer! We decided to fly home with the single screen because we had great weather for the whole period, and weren't sure where we'd be to have a loaner unit catch up with us. I shipped the bad unit off today, and based on experience, I expect to see it back pretty quick. Almost eight years without a hardware issue - not bad! What's better is the customer support when there WAS an issue.

We've got great vendors supporting us, I'll tell ya'...

Paul

From memory, it is under the System Menu...probably Disply Unit Maintenance? Scroll down - you'll find it.

Yes, yes, and YES ....

.... GRT service - Carlos in particular - is wonderful. I tested my Mode C yesterday for the first time and found it was inop. Called Carlos to see if I had my EFIS settings correct. After he walked me thru them, we found that my GTX 327 had not been set up to receive the alt info from the EFIS. (Since I only got 17pp of the unknown-to-me 50pp manual, I wasn't aware of the setup process). Carlos told me how to bring up the setup screen on the GTX327, and then I muddled my way thru form there.
Amazing that we can sit in the hangared aircraft, with the screens up before us, and get "real-time" help on the cell phone from cooperative and helpful people like GRT and Carlos. Great stuff.

6yrs later does this thread still apply? I know noone will flame a mfg outright here or anywhere, so I'll take lack of responses as a signal.................

I like the GRT HXr presentation, but man, the actual knobs and buttons just doesnt.....I dunno.....inspire.

knobs

6yrs later does this thread still apply? I know noone will flame a mfg outright here or anywhere, so I'll take lack of responses as a signal.................

I like the GRT HXr presentation, but man, the actual knobs and buttons just doesnt.....I dunno.....inspire.
Just curious what you don't like about them - the feel or the look? The knobs seem like the same as the Dynon. The buttons look different, feel pretty good to me.

http://grtavionics.com/media/hxr-approach.png

http://www.dynonavionics.com/images/products/skyview/features/SV-D1000-3-Screen.jpg

Just curious what you don't like about them - the feel or the look? The knobs seem like the same as the Dynon. The buttons look different, feel pretty good to me.

http://grtavionics.com/media/hxr-approach.png

http://www.dynonavionics.com/images/products/skyview/features/SV-D1000-3-Screen.jpg

Good point. I dont like the Dynon either. Was comparing to the AFS stuff...
http://advanced-flight-systems.com/Products/AF-5600/af5600.html

I know we dont fly the aesthetics; we fly capabilities. But for a 15k system, I hate to sit behind it and wish it looked better. Maybe its better in person.....

I know we dont fly the aesthetics; we fly capabilities. But for a 15k system, I hate to sit behind it and wish it looked better. Maybe its better in person.....

There is little question that ?looks sell?. Far too many don?t look at performance.

To answer your question, I bought GRT in 2010 and remain a happy customer. Unfortunately Carlos passed away (cancer) a few years ago but service remains good - or so I hear, since the only service I?ve required was when I bought a TT-22 and adaptor from them for my adsb-out upgrade.

Beauty is in the eye.. so they say.
The proof is in the product and service. For me for a lot of years, GRT products and service have withstood the test of time. Timely upgrades, MTBF incredibly high and a friendly voice when I do have questions.
And to me, thy look pretty...

I agree with Widget. Picking GRT for my EFIS displays was one my better choices. I have been happy with their products and services since Day 1.
A few weeks ago I had the first minor issue with my system in 7 years. GRT repaired it and shipped it back to me within hours of it's arrival at their shop, Even though they didn't have my payment info yet. From the time I shipped it to its arriving back at my front door was 42 hrs. Incredible.

Back