What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A Bruce Swayze

Hi Everybody!

Hello Everybody!

Sorry I'm not on here as much as I used to be. I'll try and check in more often. Part of the reason is because when my RV became airworthy and started flying, I was so focused on flying lessons and learning to fly it! So I had time for little else. I did not have a Pilot license before I started building my RV. I know that's unusual but I didn't want my flying skills to get stale while building, or take even longer by mixing it with flying a rental plane, so I put it on hold and decided to build the RV first. I'm glad I did that.

In my training, by the way, I spent about 28 hours in a Cessna 172. Then when my RV was finally finished and flying, I thought I'd fly both for a while as I continued my flight training. But after I found a suitable instructor for the 7A, it only took a few times flying the RV, that it became harder and harder to go climb back in that old Cessna. LOL! And switch from the the incredible panel I have back to the old analog instruments. And pay hourly rent on the Cessna, when my RV was sitting here! All I had to pay for was fuel flying solo, and the cfi when he was with me. So I proceeded in my 7A and finally got my license a little over a year ago, on Memorial Day 2022! The best news of my life, though, is that my wife absolutely LOVES it! She can't get enough and I'm just thrilled. I've seen too many guys spend years building an RV and their wives won't go with them. Or not much, anyway. So by the end of 2022 we had put 209 hours on the RV for the year 2022. We now have just over 400 hours on it and we have been all over the place! We didn't make Oshkosh this year, but we went last year. As a new pilot, that was quite an adventure! We've been all over Oregon, Washington, Montana, California, and of course, Oshkosh!

Thanks everybody, I'll try and check in more often!

Last edited:
That is great Bruce. I did almost the same thing. I finished up my license in my plane with the help of a great instructor and builder. I got mine in Oct 2022 and have about 120 or so hours so far and love it. My wife enjoys going flying but more that we can get places faster but is always happy to fly. I feel lucky too!

Have fun. It was good to hear from you!

That is great Bruce. I did almost the same thing. I finished up my license in my plane with the help of a great instructor and builder. I got mine in Oct 2022 and have about 120 or so hours so far and love it. My wife enjoys going flying but more that we can get places faster but is always happy to fly. I feel lucky too!

Have fun. It was good to hear from you!

Thank you, Rockwood! I'm thrilled for you and to hear this! Aren't these RV's incredible? Wow. It's our magic carpet! Yeah, we're pinching ourselves all the time, how fast we get to our destinations. It opens a whole new world of travel and possibilities. I'm seeing relatives I haven't seen in decades, and family that I would see rarely otherwise. Seeing incredible breathtaking scenery here in Oregon and other places. And we've only just scratched the surface.

So many old friends on here that I've never seen or met in person, and I'm really looking forward to crossing paths some day. I'm anxious to run into you! I've already got Oshkosh 2024 on my calendar, and hoping it will all work out to go again.

I just checked my logbook, but I have not been PIC of any other airplane besides my RV since the first day I flew it last November. The next time I see myself in a 172 is when I need to do my BFR again, unless I find an instructor willing to do it in the -7A.

I just checked my logbook, but I have not been PIC of any other airplane besides my RV since the first day I flew it last November. The next time I see myself in a 172 is when I need to do my BFR again, unless I find an instructor willing to do it in the -7A.

Study some regs, practice some slow flight, steep turns, stalls etc, to make sure you're proficient. (The whole reason for the BFR.)

And then....

take an instructor up in your RV. Chances are they'll be less interested in the BFR and more interested in trying out your RV! At least that's been my experience with 4 or 5 different instructors. When I call it's usually, well we currently about 2 weeks out, whatcha flying? I have an RV-7A. Ummm well, I could probably fit you in this afternoon or tomorrow!!

Worst case scenario take a scenic trip up here and I'll help you out. I'm betting you will find one where you are quite easily though. :)

Back up on Comm!

Hey Bruce....nice to see you back up on comm....enjoyed your chiming in on the build updates here on VAF....thought you had gone NORDO;)

Great to hear of your accomplishments...nice update and yes chime in from time to time and keep us posted!!!

Hey Bruce, so great to see ya posting again. Use to talk a bunch but yadisappeared.

I would be flying mine alot but ungortunately yanked the engine to have the crankshaft replaced. Yep one if those Superior Cranks.
It has been 22 weeks in the shop so far and he states it should be getting close.
Stated it goes in the Que.
glad you wife loves the flying. Mine does too!!
So Blessed
Jack

Last edited:
I'll be around more often!

I've decided to come around more often! I need to figure out some basics, like how to post pictures. Thanks, Guys!

Back