What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A rebirthing

Great progress

Looking good...

A thing about perfection.
My wife is part native American. She tells the story of her grandmother teaching about perfection. According to her, the natives would always put an intentional flaw in their beads to remind them that the only thing perfect is God, and we are just imperfect humans. :)

Keep up the great work...

Looking good...

A thing about perfection.
My wife is part native American. She tells the story of her grandmother teaching about perfection. According to her, the natives would always put an intentional flaw in their beads to remind them that the only thing perfect is God, and we are just imperfect humans. :)

Keep up the great work...

Very nice! I am not a perfectionist by any measure...haha I understand and enjoyed that quote very much! Thank you for the note.

Been working

So I have been on a job in LA for 5 months and have been far away from my build.
I am ready to be home and de-stress for a few months.
Looking forward to getting back on the RV and not worrying about anything but what to eat for lunch!

Back in the saddle!

51733657338_e1f6c7dabb_c.jpg
[/url]trim by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

51733657363_189a293fda_c.jpg
[/url]top skin by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

51732595342_c71b5f7c92_c.jpg
[/url]deskin by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

51733657478_02259c43c8_c.jpg
[/url]bent by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

51734310580_44de4149f3_c.jpg
[/url]fresh by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

51733657443_b7aaabcd11_c.jpg
[/url]build by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

51734045989_307959f4ea_z.jpg
[/url]right wing by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

51734046024_7ef37c2ab5_z.jpg
[/url]right wing Lead by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

51732572487_196e893a27_c.jpg
[/url]right wing last by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

51734287460_dfe9df45fb_c.jpg
[/url]right wing 18 by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

I was able to get my brother over to help me finish bucking rivets. It was his first go at it. He is a master craftsman with so many things and builds fine homes now from his office. I should have enlisted his help years ago...
Although he rarely has much free time.

I am determined to get this beast finished to wiring so I have a young man tearing down my motor to get the parts off to the appropriate facilities to ge things rolling on multiple timelines.

Thanks for keeping me motivated VAF!

Are the copper clecoes in holes that need some oops rivets?

I could but the holes in the ribs were too big after removing the rivets so upsized them to 4's. I have a number of these throughout the project but more in this section of the wing than I had expected.

The rivets enlarge the holes from the setting and then pulling the tail out works great. If you get one that won't come easily and you use the punch to remove it it can enlarge the hole even with my rivet removal backing bar.

So..."4's"! HAHA

I could but the holes in the ribs were too big after removing the rivets so upsized them to 4's. I have a number of these throughout the project but more in this section of the wing than I had expected.

The rivets enlarge the holes from the setting and then pulling the tail out works great. If you get one that won't come easily and you use the punch to remove it it can enlarge the hole even with my rivet removal backing bar.

So..."4's"! HAHA

Eh a few certainly won't hurt!

Awesome man. Seeing a motor taken a part is awesome, as long as it's someone else's. :D Keep up the good work

Awesome man. Seeing a motor taken a part is awesome, as long as it's someone else's. :D Keep up the good work

Hey Jereme! I am really enjoying this part of the project. I am a wrench after all. haha
It is all apart now but ran off to New Mexico to make an Indie film and make some more money for the project...and pay a few bills. ;)

I will keep this thread posted as I think I am going to use it as part of my log.

51831429372_2fef1aef9a_h.jpg
[/url]20220112_134933 by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

You've seen it but I can't help but think how this happened, so I posted it again.

Engine

There are quite a few -51 engines. Most likely a IO-360 C series.
Refer to Lycoming SSP-110-2 which can be found online. In the back of that document you will find what airplanes used that engine.
Looks like conical mount-is that correct.
A after 51 denotes wide cylinder deck engine or as Lycoming calls it Wide Cylinder Flange.

There are quite a few -51 engines. Most likely a IO-360 C series.
Refer to Lycoming SSP-110-2 which can be found online. In the back of that document you will find what airplanes used that engine.
Looks like conical mount-is that correct.
A after 51 denotes wide cylinder deck engine or as Lycoming calls it Wide Cylinder Flange.

Thanks for the Info!
It is a conical mount. Getting it re-cut to Dynafocal 1. I was able to find that it was in an Engstrom Helicopter, I believe.

Thanks again!

So I have been getting some stuff done on the plane. Not a lot of explanation just some photos.

52130975940_48c775b0bf_b.jpg
[/url]wheel by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]
I have a small jewelers type lathe but gave this to a former employee to cut for the new radial bearings. He has a big boy lathe.

52130472621_00af702dd0_c.jpg
[/url]brake linings by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]
Dug out an old arbor press and relined the brake pads

52129448677_18d5aef21f_b.jpg
[/url]aileron by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]
Aileron is giving me fits, might be the toughest repair to date.

52129454462_227a6a9c90_b.jpg
[/url]injector relays by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]
Injector relays getting the "juice strings" attached

52130477376_4987779bbf_b.jpg
[/url]fuel and wires by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

I was stuck on fixing the aileron until I made a custom bucking bar so began some wiring work. Dang, one crisis at a time as my buddy always says.
Tougher work as the top skin is on and I get wadded up under the panel for hours it seems.
I took out the rudder pedals to get easier access, HUGE help

Wing stuff

Been working daily but not long hours at all...

52177897755_3a7975eb8c_h.jpg
[/url]Aileron by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

To finish the repair on this aileron I had to make...

52177409038_30a7578b49_b.jpg
[/url]7 B Bar by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

Custom bucking bar

52177407456_bc58bf0460_h.jpg
[/url]Tip right by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

Right wing-tip going on. Had #8 screws holding on the original. Bottom skin is original so some 8's and the rest #6's

52177408983_332ff47a31_h.jpg
[/url]Tip R by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

Top skin new has 6's going in.

52177408968_3aabae8842_b.jpg
[/url]Panel by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

Going to re-cut a new panel. I put the switches too close together for easy access and maintenance

I was sure I put up some new photos but I must have been dreaming...

52225878295_a073794572_h.jpg
[/url]boards afixxd by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

52234488905_320ed02d64_h.jpg
[/url]side tip by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

52234488890_669767c35b_h.jpg
[/url]side tip2 by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

52234016848_9d79b0d1d2_b.jpg
[/url]done tip2 by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

52234488910_4052d081c1_h.jpg
[/url]done tip by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

The process was straightforward but did take more time than expected. Still have the let wing to do. I changed out the pan head screws to truss head type stainless, they looked way better.

Nice job man, you will love those FlyLEDs. I remember those lens covers taking for ever to trim and sand!

Nice job man, you will love those FlyLEDs. I remember those lens covers taking for ever to trim and sand!

Thanks, Jereme!
A very iterative process to get those to fit well.
Moving on to the left wing now...
Booked another show so Tuesday I will be off the plane again for a couple of months. But it does keep the coffers full haha

"Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to make the world's first 6 million dollar RV."

Awesome job!

Thank you, Brian!
Keep plugging away as my mother used to say

I have less time lately and struggle to get back in town to work on it but I always put the time into it, even if only for minutes...
Gear on then start the wings first install

Last edited:
Looks way better then it did on your trailer. What did you do with the bags of sand from Home Depot?

Braided Brake Lines

I really like the braided brake lines. I'm going to change my existing tube brakes lines to braided.

Looks fantastic, keep up the good work.

I really like the braided brake lines. I'm going to change my existing tube brakes lines to braided.

Looks fantastic, keep up the good work.

I understand. I started with AL tubing and went to braided. I have bent tubing for the balance of my lines but in this instance, I thought it was indicated.
Easy to run, more durable (anecdotal), and clean-looking.

Good Luck!

Heck ya dude! Making gains!

Thanks, Jereme! Trying to keep going as much as I can these days. Taking it slow here as I don't want to let the smoke out down the road.

I might be ringing you later this next month for advise!

Back