Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2021, 01:33 PM

Yep, looks like some typos on the instruction sheet. AN436 should read AN426.
Never having seen the complete instruction sheet for this, I would assume step 10 would be riveting the nutplates to the back of the small panel.

Not having privy to the rest of the instructions, or knowing what comes in the package - I would assume the general progression would go something like this.

-You are given dimensions to cut the corner out of the big panel.
-You are instructed to overlay the new small panel over the big panel to drill #30 pilot holes (screw holes) through the big panel.
-You than prepare the small panel for the nutplates - I assume each #30 (screw pilot) hole is bracketed with a couple smaller #40 rivet holes.
-You than dimple the small panel for the AN426 rivet heads - so the forward facing surface of the small panel is nicely flush for a tight fit to the big panel.
-You now open up all the #30 pilot holes to #19 so the screws will fit through.
-(probably step 10) Back to the nutplates, position them, use a silver cleko (if you have some) to hold it in place while you rivet the other side. Remove the cleko and rivet the other side. Repeat with all nutplates.
-Screw the 2 panels together, re-install the panel assy to the plane.

Your local advise / assist person could have done the whole job faster than it took me to type this, (after editing all my my typos).

Good flying!
Old 05-18-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DAV8R View Post
I can't speak for Ralph and what he is saying, but my own reaction would be that builders learn to deal with these situations pretty early on in the build. Most of us do that during the tail kit when the risk is relatively low and our mindset is one of learning how this all works.

What you raise is kind of a funny question. I think most of us would look at that and recognize both problems as typos. Half of us would think that it's no big deal because it's not hard to determine the correct rivet and step #'s aren't that important. The other half of us would look at and make those same assumptions, but question it 5 times over because typos like that are incredibly rare so maybe we're missing something. Not saying they are non-existent, but very very rare.

I guess my overall point is that I understand why you are upset with having to figure this out, but your mistaken if you jump to the conclusion that RV-12is instructions are so bad that we learn to ignore them.

It's not that hard. You just skipped the learning process part. Get a little help like others have suggested. Or just put the 426 3-3.5 rivets in, take 10 steps, and build on with the bulkhead modification.
Thanks N8DAV8R.. I'm using the RV12, not RV12is, KAIs, so maybe the new ones are a bit better.

In any event I'm moving on and will get the two pieces of aluminum mounted in the plane and will discontinue looking for mystery rivets..
Van's RV-12 #120566 - ELSA - N49DD
Spinks Airport, KFWS, Fort Worth, TEXAS!

LSRI-A for N49DD / EAA / AOPA
Pvt Pilot since '79! / USNR - MA2
Retired LEO / PADI MSDT / SDI OW Instructor
Scuba Equipment Tech (PT Retirement Job)

If you can walk away from a landing, its a good landing. If you can use the aircraft the next day, its an outstanding landing. Chuck Yeager

DONATED
Old 05-18-2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock836 View Post
Thanks N8DAV8R.. I'm using the RV12, not RV12is, KAIs, so maybe the new ones are a bit better.

In any event I'm moving on and will get the two pieces of aluminum mounted in the plane and will discontinue looking for mystery rivets..
Awesome! I'll probably be finishing up my longeron flaring about the same time you're going flying.

Nice airplane in the profile pic!
Old 05-19-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Nutplates don't get dimpled, they get countersunk.
Not true

Depends on where the nutplate is installed and how thick the material. Some nutplates are installed in countersunk rivet holes on RV aircraft and some are installed with dimpled rivet holes. If the rivet hole is dimpled you dimple the ears of the nutplate also.

In this case the plans clearly say dimple the holes. So dimple the nutplate ears.

RV14A Tail kit 95%
Wing kit 95%
Fuselage QB stuck in China virus corrosion purgatory

RV 14 WIKI in Drop Box

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xu5p6f4l7...bU0ck0pJa?dl=0

please purchase the thumb drive Vans offers. I DO NOT want to take away from sales flow or get the WIKI Killed.

---For Edit Access drop me a PM with your Email address.

EAA 1300
Donation Paid 18,19,20,21 Military exempt
Old 05-19-2021, 01:10 PM

I use NAS rivets for all my nut plate installations. A -3 shaft and -2 head can make a flush installation in .025" material with no dimple or countersink of the nut plate. The countersink in .025" material can be made with 5-8 turns of a deburring tool. Practice as necessary. I found the NAS1097AD3-3 are used 99% of the time.

Do research (Section 5.16, second paragraph) and testing before jumping to conclusions.

RV-7
Lord Kelvin:
I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about,
and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you
cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge
is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind.

Last edited by BillL : 05-19-2021 at 01:15 PM.