-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-02-2021, 07:17 PM

Default Best bang for the buck avionics?

Recently bought an RV8A coming from the certified world. Itís got the original VFR panel in it from back in 03. Looking to possibly update it. What would you all say is the best bang for your buck?
Old 04-02-2021, 07:23 PM

Default Used avionics

I might be biased, but I think you would do well watching the forum and getting a used EFIS from someone that is upgrading etc. However, if you want ďfactory newĒ, Iím a fan of Advanced Flight Systems. I really like and own their EFIS in both a 5600 and 5500. It plays well with other and is very straightforward install.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:29 PM

Iím a certified to experimental convert. I have 2 x GRT Sport EXs and a remote EIS. Iím happy with the system and support Iíve received. I havenít flown it yet but it all powers up and looks great. Plays well with other systems too, Garmin GPS, SL30/40, VAL avionics, etc.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:42 PM

Default What's your priority?

If price point is your primary consideration, first define a number. How much are you willing to spend?

From there I believe there are three ways of accomplishing your monetary goal.

1. Patiently wait for one generation old used avionics to come up for sale on this forum. Eventually you put together an entire system at a significantly reduced price.

2. I used MGL in my RV4. I think that if you want new stuff, they might be the best bang for the buck. I had their Extreme EFIS and V6 radio and never had a problem.

3. Self install. You can save a ton. When I redid the entire panel on my RV8, I went with AFS. Their Advanced Control Module (ACM) allowed me to do everything without extensive knowledge. A lot of components are just plug and play.

Good luck
RV8 N37PK
Old 04-02-2021, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERJDriver View Post
Recently bought an RV8A coming from the certified world. Itís got the original VFR panel in it from back in 03. Looking to possibly update it. What would you all say is the best bang for your buck?
The original Dynon Skyview ("classic"), if you can find a used one. Free charts for life.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:41 PM

Well if you're looking (or any one else is) I have a Dynon 10" Touch for sale. PM me if interested.
Pazmany PL-1 N2029 (bought & sold)
RV7 - N537TC (reserved & building)
Emp, Wings & Fuse done - working on FWF

"The air is an extremely dangerous, jealous and exacting mistress. Once under the spell most lovers are faithful to the end, which is not always old age." - Winston Churchill
Old 04-02-2021, 11:53 PM

Caution: Everyone (me too) loves the choices they made. Only you can decide whatís right for you and your budget. Fortunately itís hard to make a bad choice. For the record, I thought GRT was best bang for the buck.
And yes, buying one-generation-old can save money. Self-installing can save money.
Old 04-03-2021, 01:52 AM

I would say the best bang for your buck is to put in "just" the equipment you need for the type of flying you are going to do. It's easy to want more, and spend more, whichever the brand!
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, working on fuselage
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build
Old 04-03-2021, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulvS View Post
I would say the best bang for your buck is to put in "just" the equipment you need for the type of flying you are going to do. It's easy to want more, and spend more, whichever the brand!
Exactly, you need to define your mission for the aircraft, and that will help guide you on the features needed.

VFR only?
Autopilot?
Traffic?
Old 04-03-2021, 05:19 AM

My panel is used, bought on VAF and wired by me. Saved a LOT of money and was fun, mostly, to put together. Iím a VFR pilot but if I was to be in IMC on IFR, I would want the best instruments available within reason.