What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sunset Cruise

petehowell

Well Known Member
What can you do with 2.8 gallons on a syrupy smooth night? Follow some rivers...

Head to Capitol......
IMG_20140529_200215268.jpg

Check fuel flow......
IMG_20140529_200416784.jpg

Explore a Frac sand mine
IMG_20140529_200737262.jpg

Chase a barge.......
IMG_20140529_200432708_HDR.jpg

Fly top cover for lock and dam.....
IMG_20140529_201118511.jpg

Take the St Croix home
IMG_20140529_201313619_HDR.jpg

Check out bug guts......
IMG_20140529_204117111.jpg

All in 35 min......
Track%2520of%2520KD0CVN-1%2520-%2520Google%2520Chrome_2014-05-29_22-36-09.jpg

EMS

Makes me sad I'm still in construction phase. How do you like the D10 EMS? Does it have a large enough screen for you?

EMS-D10

Hi Paul,

The EMS works very well and has been reliable for 1200 hrs. As a VFR only guy, the little Dynons are plenty readable. I keep my eyes outside most of the time.

Every time I think about a panel upgrade, I think how many gallons of mogas that would buy, but the new stuff is really tempting.

If you have one, use it. It is a nice box and the Dynon guys are great to work with.

Makes me sad I'm still in construction phase. How do you like the D10 EMS? Does it have a large enough screen for you?

Beautiful pictures, Pete.

Yep, my old Dynon 120 and 100 are going into their 8th year of 100% trouble free performance.

Best,

Great pictures! It was a perfect night last night. Unfortunately the only flying I got in was remote control.

You would have gone right over my house if you had gone 5 miles further south at Hastings.

Were there a lot of hawks and eagles out? I'm always a little nervous about river running down low, as I always see bald eagles all over the place.

Birds.....

Thanks - the bird activity was pretty low last night - I am always on alert.

STP tower did call birds for a Beechjet landing after I came thru........

Great pictures! It was a perfect night last night. Unfortunately the only flying I got in was remote control.

You would have gone right over my house if you had gone 5 miles further south at Hastings.

Were there a lot of hawks and eagles out? I'm always a little nervous about river running down low, as I always see bald eagles all over the place.

Take the St Croix home
IMG_20140529_201313619_HDR.jpg

Track%2520of%2520KD0CVN-1%2520-%2520Google%2520Chrome_2014-05-29_22-36-09.jpg

Pictures bring back memories. I did the southern and eastern part of that tour often 35 years ago using Lake Elmo as home base and flying a Tomahawk. Always liked the "Hastings turn" back up the St Croix.

I am at the end of that big ol' river, in Louisiana. My goal one summer is to fly up the ol' Mississippi. I always get a thrill seeing if from the air. Barges, bridges, geology, what is not to love.

Steve Anderson
Lafayette La.
340 hours RV 7A

Great pics!

Pete,

Beautiful pictures. The tape reads 119. Is that knots or mph? I think the Dynon can be either. We were up the other night in Colorado, just fooling around in the 7a going nowhere specific, and we were getting about 120 mph at 4.5 gph.

Keep those pictures coming!

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

We are in kts. 119 indicated and 126kts true. These things rock on low power!

Pete,

Beautiful pictures. The tape reads 119. Is that knots or mph? I think the Dynon can be either. We were up the other night in Colorado, just fooling around in the 7a going nowhere specific, and we were getting about 120 mph at 4.5 gph.

Keep those pictures coming!

Geoff

Wow! These look great! Makes me want to move there to finish my 7A! Oh, wait!! I just thought, what about January? :mad:
Guess I will just fly up there from Georgia between April & September. :)

Winter

OldSam - Just avoid the Cold Winter months of Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Sept, Oct, Nov, and Dec and you should be just fine!!

Wow! These look great! Makes me want to move there to finish my 7A! Oh, wait!! I just thought, what about January? :mad:
Guess I will just fly up there from Georgia between April & September. :)

Or move there in an "El Nino" year

During the late '90s (remember the '90s?) I flew my solo x-country and finished my private ticket in april-may while sweating unseasonably high temps. Same year I remember washing my truck in shorts and t-shirt in November. I remember thinking "what cold weather are these people talking about?".
Like the rest of the mid-west, no two years (or months, or weeks) are alike, but the folks are wonderful up there regardless of the weather.
Fond memories from the land of 10K lakes!
Dave

Back