What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What are the best rivet guns?

dave_091

Hi guys,

I've never driven a single rivet yet, but that will change in the coming months.

My question is: What are top of the line rivet guns, mid-grade guns, and stay away from "brand name x" guns?

I have read that some people prefer Sioux. Is there a specific model other than X3?

I'm going to be driving 20k rivets with a rivet gun and I want to spend the money on a quality one.

Avery has worked well for me . .

There were too many details to research, so I bought the full tool kit from Avery tools. I really like the rivet gun that Bob supplies, don't know the manufacturer. I have no reason to change, but also have only used this gun (3X), no others. Ignorance is bliss I suppose . . . .

Commentary: The Avery kit has not let me down. Excellent quality tools, good response to questions, and well considered tool list. I have bought some additional tools and made a half dozen bucking devices to fit odd places, but I would not hesitate to buy from them again. Probably not the only good tool supplier, but certainly one for the short list.

I have a Sioux and like it...but since most of us only have one gun, I suspect that we all like what we have. I've heard Taylor is good too. You don't need a big gun to drive -3 and -4 rivets. The 2X gun is more than enough for an RV.

Guns

I have three. Two "no name". One is a 3X, one is a 4X. Then I tried a Sioux 3X. The other two haven't been touched since. Psi is far lower for the same jobs and the trigger is easy to feather.

Thanks!

I'll see if I can try before I buy at a local shop. It seems like a rivet gun is more of a personal preference.

Also look on eBay ... Second hand 'Cleco E2' Made by Ingersoll Rand are excellent .. Very fine control .. I have one that must be close to 20 years old .. small light weight and still works perfect ...

A friend has an old Sioux rivet gun. He doesn't know if it's 2x or 3x. Only other markings beside the manufacturer name is model 240 I believe. How can you tell the difference?

I've got a 3x Sioux which was good until it died, which seemed quite early. It had had regular lubrication.

I replaced it with an ACAT 2x gun which is, if anything, even better. It's a bit underpowered for the 1/8" rivets, though, so I'd recommend the 3x.

The ACAT guns are sold be The Yard Store, which like the bertter-known tool stores, is excellent.

Dave

270 = 2x
270A = 3x
270A-4 = 4x

Love My 270A 40 psi to set -4's

The smaller Sioux is 270A-2 where as I recall, the 270 without the A is their non-aircraft hammer without the spool valve trigger. As noted with the psi above, the Sioux rating is not the same as the standard "X" system. They each hit about 1/2X harder than their normally rated counterpart. Thus a Sioux -2 will do rivets that a 2X will not. If anyone has used a Sioux -3 on 3/32 rivets, I would love to hear the feedback. It seems like it would be a fine line between under and overdone?

Back