What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mini Shear and Brake?

riobison

Well Known Member
It seems like I'm always in the need to cut and bend small pieces of Aluminum for my RV4. I'm thinking of a Mini Shear and Brake. Any suggestions on who sells a decent unit for the average guy just getting into this stuff?

Thanks

Tim

How about looking on eBay ? If you can get an old 3 or 4 ft foot operated Shear or Brake you will find them both a great help when making small parts.

My limited experience would lean to a nice bending brake with fingers. The various bending radii for different thickness sheet and corners, and angles of parts I have made were better suited to a brake. YMMV of course, and I might fall i love with a press with all the features, and tooling with a urethane bed. But the cost -hmmmm.

Shear -nice - but inside corners?
Roll - what parts?
Brake - finger tools, various radii, angles?
Joggles - various offsets?

Nope, my tool brain wants one, but the practical brain could not justify.

Mini Shear and Brake

I bought a combination machine (shear, slip roll, etc.) from Harbor Freight. So far it works great for me. Others opinions/experience may vary.

Cheers,
JMA

I bought a combination machine (shear, slip roll, etc.) from Harbor Freight. So far it works great for me. Others opinions/experience may vary.

Cheers,
JMA

I've been planning on buying that unit. Glad to hear you're satisfied with it.

How do those do with .063 alclad? Seems like half the stuff I need to bend is .063, and most of the small/cheap brakes don't claim to be able to bend material that thick.

I use my Diacro notcher the most of any of them. Man, it's the cats meow for trimming control surface stiffeners. My kick shear gets used more than my finger brake, which I sold (floor space).
I had a three-in-one machine. The shear bed broke and the teeth of the rollers did not survive my oil door fabrication. The finger press brake was handy, but you can get that in a smaller form factor. I sold it off.
Troll the local Craigslist for Diacro. Occasionally something will show up. Tennsmith (what I have/had) and National shears and brakes are good too.

I'm patiently waiting for work to surplus the old, but very cool Diacro hand press brake with the joggle dies and such. Like this:
http://blog.sterlingmachinery.com/?p=5628

Surprisingly, the old South Bend lathe probably gets used the most. Made up a quicky special squeezer set the other day for some sealed platenuts. Got the job done and didn't have to wait for a shipment. Same with the odd dimple die (screws). And of course, any bushing is a quick job.

Ah, tools....:)

I bought one of these from Summit Racing: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hck-sphs8. Generally pleased with it for the cost and I like the fact that it can cut mild steel as well. Of course, what I'd really like to have is a industrial strength stomp shear, bending brake and slip/roll, but the ones I can afford only handle the thin stuff. Still, this shear has come in handy many times and it's great to be able to cut aluminum straight with minimal deburring required.

How do those do with .063 alclad? Seems like half the stuff I need to bend is .063, and most of the small/cheap brakes don't claim to be able to bend material that thick.

That is what I was getting at, Dale. I use the HF brake, but only short pieces, I filed and buffed a radius on a piece of 1/2" bar stock to bend against. Joggle tools are made from steel strip, fastened parallel with a gap, used on the press. .025 is ok with a small offset, but .032, .040 and larger get a radius to bend against. The sharp edges always fractured the part. I usually make a cardboard template bend to fit, then cut on the bandsaw, sand with 1" belt/8" disc, and buff on scotchbrite. I got tired of painting and began using alodine for all small parts.

With some practice, all this gets to be pretty quick. To make a few curved pieces, I take an appropriate sized bar and press the bar against the piece with a 1/2 rubber conveyer belt behind it. A series of small presses makes a decent curve.

At this point in the build, progress makes me feel better than a new tool. Shameful isn't it:eek:

Back