What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control cable hole locations Question ....

JanRV6UK

Well Known Member
o58f9f.jpg

I am working on the firewall forward layout ? My choice of engine - IO-320-D1A, or if my budget will allow IO-360-B1B

My question is regarding the control cables ? Throttle / Mixture / Prop

I have marked up location as per the RV7 drawing ? But I am reluctant to drill any holes until I have the physical engine in place..... good or bad idea ?

Can anyone comment on cable positions ? Does the 3 locations marked here work ? Any thing particular to look out for ... Anyone with a good website and photos of a similar engine installation would be much appreciated.....

Wait until the engine is known.

o58f9f.jpg

I am working on the firewall forward layout ? My choice of engine - IO-320-D1A, or if my budget will allow IO-360-B1B

My question is regarding the control cables ? Throttle / Mixture / Prop

I have marked up location as per the RV7 drawing ? But I am reluctant to drill any holes until I have the physical engine in place..... good or bad idea ?

Can anyone comment on cable positions ? Does the 3 locations marked here work ? Any thing particular to look out for ... Anyone with a good website and photos of a similar engine installation would be much appreciated.....

The factory locations and stock controls fit for me, but I got the factory engine too.

So - Wait until you either have the engine, or know exactly what engine you will have. Carb, or IO and inlet location will affect the locations, thus the many different hole locations listed on the 7 drawing. Just my opinion.

I'll send you a photo of my control cable pass-throughs as soon as I get to the hangar. Agree with getting your engine before committing to the hole locations.
Cheers, David

Thanks Bill - I am going FI, no question on that - Have already installed the pump and the pipes in the centre section - just not drilled the hole yet for the fuel fitting. My plan is to have the engine supplied by VAN's

Thanks Bill - I am going FI, no question on that - Have already installed the pump and the pipes in the centre section - just not drilled the hole yet for the fuel fitting. My plan is to have the engine supplied by VAN's

In this case, you should have no regrets in punching the holes now.

Your locations look good and are similar to mine.

Here is my firewall even though its an RV7-A style on my RV6-A. My engine is a horizontal intake IO360B1E converted to a Superior cold air induction sump.
The cables hooked up fine. The governor cable makes a substantial hard left exiting the firewall, but that was necessary for the proper geometry at the governor itself.

FP14022013A0003I.jpg

Back