- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:27 PM

Default Angle of attack indicators

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere but I didn't see any threads on this topic.

I would like to see what others have to say on installing an AOA indicator on their RV. Specifically, thoughts and opinions regarding how they add to safety, and which products you have installed or rejected and why. Ballpark cost and ease/difficulty of installation would also be helpful.

My wings are finished except for the tips and not yet mounted, so I'd like to run the tubing/wiring before they are completely buttoned up and in place.

Thanks for any advice/experience/suggestions you can share.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:52 PM

I think this is mostly dictated by your chosen EFIS. Most of the glass suppliers have their own AOA system and wiring requirements to their pitot and AOA harware on the wing.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1R View Post
I think this is mostly dictated by your chosen EFIS. Most of the glass suppliers have their own AOA system and wiring requirements to their pitot and AOA harware on the wing.
Most of the current solutions you just have to run a second line to your pitot tube from your adahrs location.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:01 PM

Hi Wyn,

I just installed the Dynon AoA probe in my completed RV-4 in November. I already had a D10A installed so the display component was a none issue.

I had to remove the tank to run the 2nd pitot line to the Dynon instrument. With the Dynon probe, it is necessary to drill and tap the mast portion to attach to the mounting base installed in a flying aircraft.

In addition, I had to run a wire from the Dynon unit to my intercom and install a potentiometer in the panel to allow me to adjust volume of the audio signals in my headset. The Dynon instructions are pretty good.

I'm still learning how to best use it, but I believe it will be a great addition to my aircraft.

Good luck,
Old 01-10-2018, 01:20 PM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwild View Post
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere but I didn't see any threads on this topic.

I would like to see what others have to say on installing an AOA indicator on their RV. Specifically, thoughts and opinions regarding how they add to safety, and which products you have installed or rejected and why. Ballpark cost and ease/difficulty of installation would also be helpful.

My wings are finished except for the tips and not yet mounted, so I'd like to run the tubing/wiring before they are completely buttoned up and in place.

Thanks for any advice/experience/suggestions you can share.
AOA indicators have been the subject of multiple vigorous discussion over the years on VAF. Try using the search function of the forum to find these threads, there is a ton of info concerning value and use of AOA in the archives.

By the way, I've been flying with the LRI indicator in my RV-6 for over 15 years and consider it a primary part of the panel.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:52 PM

Default lots of threads on this

Here's one way to search VAF that works well for me:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...rforce.com+AOA
Old 01-10-2018, 02:16 PM

Default Biased AOA opinion

I'm a former Navy carrier guy so including AOA was a no-brainer decision for me. However I screwed up on the display design/placement.

Use it with an AFS 4500 which shows AOA within the display at the top. In my biased opinion, that is not high enough - it requires dedicated eye movement on final to see well enough for real-time trend interpretation. And AOA trends are key to avoiding surprise AOA holes.

Didn't figure out there's a better way display placement until after I started flying it.

One of those while close, but not necessarily unsat, isn't as good as it could be outcomes. I should have opted for the external, top of the panel display.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:31 PM

Default Thanks

Many thanks to all for your comments.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:38 PM

I added AoA to my Dynon D180-equipped RV-12. All it took was a single blind rivet in the wing (sensing port), and tubing to connect it to the Dynon. After using AoA for a few flights, I disconnected the stall warning vane switch. I use and like the AoA indication a whole lot better.

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
Old 01-10-2018, 02:38 PM

I agree that a visual AOA display should be up high - a HUD being best. But several of the EFIS based units also put out an audio warning tone (slow beeps, progressing to rapid beeps, progressing to a solid tone just prior to stall). For stall avoidance these work pretty well imho, and let you keep your eyes outside.

For those not wishing to change their pitot tube to a dual-input one: The GRT HX EFIS offers a choice of AOA, either from dual pitot data, or calculated from EFIS data. I?ve compared the calculated AOA against the Dynon dual pitot data AOA, and they agree quite well.