What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8A first cross country

Picking up RV8A this next week and fly home to WA from SD. I have had transition training from Chris Drouge in ID a couple weeks back in a RV7A.
Feel confident in the flying, but questions on the CG with just myself and a full fuel moving the moment fwd.
I have heard that a no flap landing would be better under these circumstances...
Any recommendations on a W&B app or program

Thx in advance

Weight

Does the plane have a current weight and balance? Use that to look at where the cg will be at various configurations. I can’t see using no flaps while landing solo

You are also going to have a suitcase or duffel bag, right? Put it in the rear baggage area. Crunch some w&b numbers and yes, use flaps for landing! Before you depart, an experimental needs to have an airworthiness certificate, registration, operating limitations, and a weight & balance. I often see experimentals don’t have the operating limitations letter. I guess people don’t realize that it’s a requirement to have the original in the plane at all times.

W&B excel

There are several excel sheets with RV W&B calculations, but you need the data for your aircraft.

https://vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=74046

Not 100% sure on the RV-8A, but on my RV-8, the fuel doesn't change the CG very much.

If you don't have accurate W&B data, I'd recommend getting the seller to pull this together for you - probably cost a couple hundred to get it weighed by a maintenance shop near the aircraft. You might even be able to borrow some scales from a local EAA chapter.

Rv8A first cross country

This is from the airplanes POH under operational notes

“ Foward CG ( <80.5) requires significant stick forces in landing flare with full flaps. No flap landing significantly reduces aft stick pull”

A no flap landing also significantly reduces your stall margin in the pattern. Id be a lot more concerned about that than having to pull an extra bit on the stick in the flare. My -8 requires constant back pressure to maintain pattern speed even with full up trim. NBD.

My RV-8 with full fuel had it’s CG on the most forward point of the envelope (I added a smoke system since which moved it back a bit). I had no problem landing it in that configuration. Wheel landings were easy, three point landings were fine but did require a bit more attention in that configuration to prevent a small bounce as I just had enough elevator to get in a 3 point position.

As soon as you even have 20lb of luggage in the back three point landings become easy too.

I would be more worried about the higher stall speed without flaps as faster approaches are more difficult to control then a forward CG at a lower approach speed in my opinion.

I also never had high control forces on my RV-8. Ever. I think I could go to VNE and pull the wings off and control forces would still be light ... . I guess heavy and light are relative terms... .

Oliver

This is from the airplanes POH under operational notes

“ Foward CG ( <80.5) requires significant stick forces in landing flare with full flaps. No flap landing significantly reduces aft stick pull”

Try flying a C-182 empty with full flaps.. you’re going to almost need both hands on the yoke to pull and keep the nose off for landing! “Significant stick forces” are subjective.. take the RV-8 up and practice power off stalls at altitude and see what you get. If you feel like it’s hard to keep the nose up for landing, add a hundred rpm or so in the flare to let air across the elevator.

Jeff, if you are going anywhere near Carl, it would be a real bonus for you to see if you can get together to find the differences between the 7 and 8. It may cost you a lunch, but we'll worth it.

Back