What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Doubler Plates

donoltman

Installing a doubler plate on the backside of the upper rudder bracket made sense to me as we fabricated considering Piper had the same issue on their upper bracket. We're ready to buck rivets on the HS and I noticed that the outboard hinges in the rear spar don't spec a doubler. Went ahead and made two doublers for the outboard hinges. We've all seen how much tails flop around on the ground and it just makes sense to me. Is this overkill or have other 10 owners done this?

Don

The VS doubler came about as a result of cracks forming in the factory plane.

I don't know of anyone who has found cracks at the extreme ends of the HS and I don't know of anyone who has built a doubler out there.

But I don't think it would hurt anything, as long as it doesn't interfere with the ribs.

Phil

doublers

O.K. I think since I made them I'll just go ahead and install them. They're a ways away from the rib so I think they will be alright. It's interesting that the elevators show a doubler behind the corresponding hinge but not the HS spar. Hmmm.
Don

The HS spars are already very thick. The VS spar isn't and for sure the spars in the control surfaces aren't.

I think they were trying to keep the control surface as light as possible, and then reinforce the appropriate areas where they attach.

I don't think you're hurting anything by installing doublers, but at the same time I'm not sure your helping prevent a problem since one has never existed. We've got ~384 flying airframes and some of those are approaching or are already over 1000 hrs.

It would be worth a call to Vans just to validate your thoughts and my assumptions.

Phil

Last edited:
Back