What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chrome steps

Lucky I didn't do the bolts then... :)

Read up on the technical. Minimum weakening in this application. Protection from weather corrosion probably worth the trade off.

Kill joys.....

Last edited:
We had a12 at our hanger for a prop balance that had chromed steps. They looked great! I plan to get my steps chromed. :)

I really have no knowledge that a chrome plating would make it brittle, but old wives tales claim it does.

Lucky I didn't do the bolts then... :)

Read up on the technical. Minimum weakening in this application. Protection from weather corrosion probably worth the trade off.

Kill joys.....

Funny ! Nice step, I saw one on a 12 parked at Vans factory last month. The Vans guy said the same thing- hydrogen embrittlement. It really looked sharp.

I thought is was not a problem if the part was baked right after plating. Maybe the metallurgists will weigh in.

Paper on subject: ftp://213.176.96.142/sciencedirect04927324-7dbe-20140424045836.pdf

Last edited:
Lots of stresed parts are chrome plated, with the post plating bake to prevent embrittlement. Just look at landing gear oleo struts for one. However, chrome by itself is not particularly good at preventing corrosion. I learned this some time ago when I had 4130 parts chromed and after one day of rain, they were rusting. The plating can be rather porous, even with that great new shine. Remember old 50's and 60's car bumpers rusting out? Now if you copper plate, than nickel plate first, the chrome will be pretty good. But that is rather pricey.

Sorry for note, but - -

If you are heavier ( I am 215# , 6' tall ), the original step can break off with enough use. It is a real surprise to find yourself laying on the ground, hopefully not too hurt. Still could be welded on to repair as I did, but the chrome would sure get messed up.

I powder Coated my steps to match the fuselage color.

4 years and no sign of rust. Bugs come off easily, too.

Wayne 12241

I am 228 lbs and quite worried, am contemplating welding on a stiffener. Exactly where did yours break?

If you are heavier ( I am 215# , 6' tall ), the original step can break off with enough use. It is a real surprise to find yourself laying on the ground, hopefully not too hurt. Still could be welded on to repair as I did, but the chrome would sure get messed up.

Broke - -

where it changes shape to enter the fuse. Not much metal there. If you had someone video - level with the step as you climbed in, you might be surprised at the deflection. Mine feels very solid now. The other side does not.

That does look like the weakest point. Did you reinforce it any when you welded it back together? I have been wanting to make it stronger before I fall on my butt.
where it changes shape to enter the fuse. Not much metal there. If you had someone video - level with the step as you climbed in, you might be surprised at the deflection. Mine feels very solid now. The other side does not.

Yes - -

Would have to go back thru post to see what I did then. Metal strap on top and bottom. Body puttied it in, so can't really tell now.

Back