What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rudder bottom attach strips

T.S.

Fluting of the bottom rudder rib R904 will not allow the bottom tip attach strips R918 to sit flat inside the rib for drilling / riviting. I have not drilled the strips yet. How have others installed the strips? Pictures I have found seem to show this area flat for riviting.
Any clues on this would be great.

Thanks,
T.S.

7A
Emp. ~30%
QB ordered

Hi TS

I don't seem to recall fluting the bottom rudder rib for some reason. Are you sure you needed to? I may be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time today, and it is only 0830 in the morning :D) but I think that since the rib is straight (as opposed to the curved edges on the wing ribs,) you shouldn't have to flute it.

Cheers

Mark

My rib had a good bow in it. Fluting was needed to get the prepunched holes to line up with the skins. Result was flute bumps that the strips will not flex arround (without the force to fit method).
T.S.

You might try slipping the attach strip between the skin and the rib. Shouldn't affect the fit that much.

Karl

curved bends

if the bends are straight you shouldnt have needed to flute it. i did not flute this part. may need a new bottom rib.

RV8N said:
You might try slipping the attach strip between the skin and the rib. Shouldn't affect the fit that much.

Don't do this. You need the thickness of the rib and skin to get the bottom rudder fairing to be flush with the skin. How do I know this? Because I did one side between the rib and skin and the other under the rib. It took a while to figure out why one side of the fairing sat flush and the other didn't. Ended up having to drill out the rivets on the one side and do it right.

My bottom rib did not need any fluting so the attach strips bedded right up against the inside of the flange.

If you have already fluted the rib, not sure what to tell you.

Mike R.

I called Vans on this one. I was told it is unusual for the rib to be that far off, but it happens. I should flute a minimum and notch the tip attach pieces to avoid the flutes. This method is used elsewhere on the plane and would be acceptable here.
Added labor to make the part work; build on.....

Thanks for replies.

T.S.

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to make these bottom attach strips. The plans show them 1 1/8 on one end and 1 1/4 on the other with what looks like a bend that is 11/32 wide on one end and nothing on the other. I'm sorry, but I can't make heads or tails of this thing. Are they just a flat strip that is attached to the bottom rib for the rudder bottom to attach to or is there some sort of bend in them that is 11/32 wide? Why is one end 1 1/4 and other 1 1/8 when you look on the rudder plan, it looks like the same size through out? This really baffles me and I need an explanation.

rudder attach strips

Keep in mind what this strip is used for - simply to help attach the rudder bottom. If you have that fiberglass part, have a look at how it attaches. If I recall correctly, there is no need for a taper on the width. If you make them too wide, it's really easy to trim them up later. If you totally botch it, it would still be quite easy to add some tabs that can be used to attach the rudder bottom.

I've got a few pictures of the rudder bottom here, but I unfortunately didn't take many of the attachment strip. I can run up to the shop and take a few if you like. Just let me know.

http://www.rv8.ch/article.php?story=20040924234018444

Thats basically what I needed to see. Thanks. I was thrown by the 11/32 drawing on the plans. Did you even put a bend in it? The way it looks, its just a straight piece of aluminum. Or is the bend up on the top against the rib?

Flat piece

Hi Ditch,
Yes that is a flat piece of 1 1/8" wide strip. The notch they have you put on the left end (1 1/4 x 11/32) is to match the angle on the rudder horn.
I did the R-918 exactly to the dimensions and it came out perfect.
Hope this helped.

Jim
RV7A Wings

skyyking56 said:
Hi Ditch,
Yes that is a flat piece of 1 1/8" wide strip. The notch they have you put on the left end (1 1/4 x 11/32) is to match the angle on the rudder horn.
I did the R-918 exactly to the dimensions and it came out perfect.
Hope this helped.

Jim
RV7A Wings
You know, now that I look at the plans I understand it completely. For some reason I was looking at the picture on the plans as a 3 dimentional picture on the left side of it. Like when you draw a 3 dimentional box, don't ask me why, guess my eyes were playing tricks on me. It's childs play now. HA Thanks for all your help. Sure this won't be the last time you here from me but it is sure nice to know all of you are out there to lend a hand, no matter how dumb the question is.

Back