Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-11-2022, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
I donít know if thatís true, but I would hope that Transport Canada is more reasonable and less bureaucratic.
Thanks, I needed a laugh this morning...
Old 02-11-2022, 12:32 PM

Speaking from experience, in Canada you are eligible to hold a medical 6 months after the ďeventĒ. You will need an echocardiogram and a stress test and the help of your came. Test results may not be from prior to 5 months after the attack. Have your doctor schedule your tests needed as soon after 5 months after attack as possible. Have your came do a medical and electronically send in reports between 5 and 6 month after the event. If all is well 6 months after the attack you can be flying. I was 6 months and 3 days.

Jack
Old 02-12-2022, 06:19 PM

Thanks everyone. Itís surprising how many pilots have gone thru similar episodes. There are even a few local to me. Iíve got a good CAME who has helped with TC before and a son who would gladly put more time on the RV to keep it healthy. Bypass surgery coming up and should get me healthy again to.
2022 Donation In
Old 02-13-2022, 09:22 AM

champ, we are hoping you make a full recovery. most are not concerned about our health till something like this happens. food for thought-search calcium score. not well known by many people. a great indicator of ones health. you are more than welcome to message me thru =VAF= and I can
help you with more info if you are interested. good luck.
Stuart, Fl / East Hampton,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI - villa sold.
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
addicted pickle ball player
https://i.postimg.cc/tn3h4svg/IMG-3101.jpg
Old 02-13-2022, 01:55 PM

I'm 74 and just got an FAA Special Issuance after my 2nd H.A. and stent. Now on Basic Med. I took statins for 11 years after my first H.A. but it didn't stop the 2nd one. Statins did not prevent my brother from dying at age 50. He had a bypass, exercised, lost weight, and died leaving the gym of a 2nd H.A. If you are on statins, get off them. Lipitor touts a 2-deaths-per-100 vs a 3-deaths-per 100 as a 33% improvement. In fact it is only a 1% absolute improvement. There is plenty of modern evidence that statins harm you. They contribute to higher mortality in the elderly and increased risk of diabetes and dementia.

LDL is not the problem; it is poor control of insulin arising out of a high carb, high sugar diet that leads to insulin resistance. I recommend watching Dr. Paul Mason's videos at the youtube channel "Low Carb Down Under". Dr. Nadir Ali is also very credible. Dr Robert Lustig will scare you straight about sugar. Yeah, I am a bit of a camp-meeting evangelist about this but I meet so many who have no idea. Their docs say "you lowered your LDL, great!" A friend from my Air Force days, had bypasses, went on statins, lowered his LDL, now he is a full-blown diabetic and his doc wants to put him on a more powerful statin.

I will go now, nurse. :-)
Old 02-13-2022, 05:15 PM

I would recommend against relying on any medical advice found on the internet and instead go with the advice of your own cardiologist.
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff
Old 02-13-2022, 07:55 PM

Default Kent is correct about statins

Statins have an NNT of 100. That means you have to treat 100 patents with a statin to prevent one myocardial event. That's a lot of side effects and costs - only a Pharma could love those numbers. For antibiotics to treat infections, the Number Needed to Treat is about 1.1

For certain treatments and preventives very popular in the past two years, the NNT has been "boosted" to near infinity.

...Kent is correct about sugar, too.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - Built '98 / sold '20
RV-10 - N130YD - 80 hours
66 years running stock DNA
Old 02-13-2022, 11:48 PM

IMHO, there are three areas not to get advice from the intertubes:

Legal advice
Taxes
Medicine

For those, I go to actual experts in the field...lawyers, accountants, and doctors.

Aviation (flying or building) sometimes runs a close fourth, but at least on here, there's more good than bad "advice" about airplanes.
Old 02-14-2022, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7A Flyer View Post
IMHO, there are three areas not to get advice from the intertubes:

Legal advice
Taxes
Medicine

While your advice came from the Internet, I think there are millions (perhaps billions) of people that should heed it! Not to say everything you read is wrong, it's just hard to know which is right for you.

That said, sugar is poison, and the less you eat the better.

http://www.rv8.ch/help-people-in-ukraine/

Last edited by rv8ch : 02-14-2022 at 12:28 AM.
Old 02-14-2022, 08:37 AM

Easy to say "don't listen to the internet" but there are 20,000+ people here taking aviation advice from the internet. JohnDeakin (https://www.avweb.com/features_old/p...mixture-magic/) retrained an entire generation of pilots on the wisdom of lean-of-peak operation via the internet. If you sample what I suggested and reject it, or choose to run it by your cardiologist, fine, but to refuse to expose yourself to information simply because it comes from the internet, well, . . .. The studies and evidence are cited here. To me it rings true. https://youtu.be/KRmAEx5CWIM
Closed Thread