What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quiet Technology Halo Headset

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I?ve now got about five hours this week flying with my new Quiet Technology Halo Headset, and I must say that I am impressed! Light, quiet, good sound ? it really does seem to fulfill all the requirements I have for a headset.

I had been shopping for a new headset primarily because my ?passenger headset? (an old passive David Clark) was beginning to show its age. Sometimes, you look for any excuse to try something new?..I decided I?d promote my current Lightspeed XL 20 that I?ve been happy with for years to the back seat, and buy myself something new. I originally was going to go for a new Lightspeed, but it is hard to resist trying new technology ? especially when it gives you the chance to get rid of the big Mickey Mouse ears. With the big bubble canopy of the -8, it would be nice to be able to wear a brimmed hat to keep the sun off my neck.

I read all of the posts on the Clarity Aloft vs. Mach 1 thread, and counted a lot of positive comments about the Halo. Since I already have a music and cell phone interface in the airplane, that wasn?t necessary, and after talking with some PhD audiologists, I was convinced that the Halo would give me hearing protection equal to the ANR units.

I am used to wearing very lightweight headsets for hours on end at work, but they are just in one ear, and aren?t ?compression fit? into the ear canal. I have to admit that there are days where my ear is numb after a ten hour session because of the little ear bud, but I decided that the soft ear plugs of the Halo might be different.

This morning I flew 2.5 hours out to the Hill Country and back, and never noticed the presence of the Halo. I was able to change hats without taking it off, and the sound quality was excellent ? even with my Mono intercom, music from the XM receiver was crisp. The microphone sounds very good on my intercom, although it took a little fiddling to find a good Vox setting ? not bad, just different from what I was used to. Not having the big ear cups and head band really makes your head seem more free, and looking for traffic is easier. The headset stayed nicely in place during some loops, rolls, and Cuban Eights. Construction quality looks very good to me.

Will the halo be as comfortable at the end of an eight hour flying day? I can?t tell yet for sure, but it looks promising. I?ll keep the Lightspeed ANR in the airplane for passengers, and I can always switch to that if my ear canals get tired of the plugs. I still think I get the best overall noise reduction wearing my helmet with ANR ear cups ? but I only use that if I?m wearing a parachute, or if I?m planning on going really high and want to use my O2 mask.

Paul

Earplug headsets Rock!

Paul,

I agree on Quiet Technologies. I've been flying the Auricomm headset for 3 years now. Even on 5 hour + flights, it's perfect. My Ipod sounds terriffic in it as well. Glad you like yours.

Art in Asheville

Quiet Technologies Halo

Paul,
I'm glad to hear you are pleased with your decision since I was one of the ones on the other thread who expressed positive results with my QT Halo. I haven't done any loops or rolls in my 172, but I do agree with all your other comments about the advantages of wearing the QT Halo versus the "Mickey Mouse" ears of the other headsets. Also, when I get my -7 finished, I will enjoy the option of wearing a wide-brimmed hat under the RV's canopy. I think this headset is a well-kept secret that soon will be well known. It's amazing how well this headset works. :D
Don Hull

Any problems with equalizing pressure in ears?

Paul,

Have you noticed any problems with equalizing pressures in the ears with changes in altitude while using these? Do you have the foam earpieces or the custom fitted?

Thanks,

jim said:
Paul,

Have you noticed any problems with equalizing pressures in the ears with changes in altitude while using these? Do you have the foam earpieces or the custom fitted?

Thanks,

Good question, and the answer is no - I haven't noticed any equalization issues. It might be vented in some way I am not aware of. I am using the yellow foam earpieces that came with the headset. I do climb and descend pretty fast, so that should be a good test for equalization problems, however, many years ago I was a professional diver, and had a reputation for never having ear blocks, even when I had a cold....

Paul

Another Halo Thumbs Up!

Paul-

Have you tried out the silicone inserts, or are you sticking with the foam plugs? I ask because the silicones don't seem to fit in my ears, wonder if I'm the only one.

I received my Halo set last week, have flown a couple of flights with the foam inserts and am very pleased. After 30 minutes of 3-4g pulling, full range of loops, rolls, and everything in between, the headset didn't move. The owner of QuietTech advised me to put the "neckwire" over the top of my head, wear a hat, for aerobatics, but it seems that it's not needed.

I normally fly with a Lightspeed QFR CrossCountry, and was relatively happy with the headset, but found that on acro flights the headset slid around quite a bit. I alternated between the QFR and the Halo on my first flight with the new headset and found that the QFR with ANR on seemed to be a bit quieter than the Halo, but it's possible that the attenuation was just different.

Any one else have any comments on comparison between your Halo and former ANR headset?

Ken

How do they work under G's

I am very close to pulling the trigger on these guys but I wonder how well they work flying acro. Particularly pulling G's and having a look around. Normal headsets fly off or back during such manouvering and require various tricks to prevent the motion (e.g. velcro straps, cloth helmets etc).

Saw Bud Granley do a show with the Clarity Aloft and he was giving a play-by-play over the PA system while wearing them and it didn't sound like they fell off... but he gets paid to fly them... and he's pretty good...

Do these things stay on? Are there 'simple' ways to keep them on?

Thanks

Last edited:
Acro no problem..better than mouse ears

I have flown acro with mine, no problem, much preferable to the heavy mouse ears, which do fall off pulling g. No sweating under them either. I have flown them in RV's, Yak, and T-6. I'm converted. Oh, and since I wear glasses, the ear foam never adequately seals around my glasses, so they're much quieter than my $$$ ANR david Clarks.

Art in Asheville

I have to agree with Paul's (and other's) assessment of the QT Halo's. I bought a pair at Oshkosh, and have been VERY pleased with their performance in every airplane I've flown since then (including an RV-7). Super quiet, light, and the sound quality is simply amazing! Two very big thumbs up!

ufcpa said:
Paul-

<SNIP>

I normally fly with a Lightspeed QFR CrossCountry, and was relatively happy with the headset, but found that on acro flights the headset slid around quite a bit. I alternated between the QFR and the Halo on my first flight with the new headset and found that the QFR with ANR on seemed to be a bit quieter than the Halo, but it's possible that the attenuation was just different.

Any one else have any comments on comparison between your Halo and former ANR headset?

Ken

Ditto, I'd like to hear some more comparisons as well.

How much more quite/noisy was it, day/night difference?
How do they last in the long run after a bit of use?
What is the operating costs, replacement of foam?

I am looking to these 'new' type headsets with interest, but they look small and not as robust as mickey mouse ears.

Any more info appreciated.

Kind Regards
Rudi

QT Halo Report

I use the small brown foam plugs with mine and the clarity is unreal compared to my Lightspeeds. Voice and music sounds much clearer.

My wife is using the soft white rubber plugs and they are a little harder to get in place really good but they're washable.

No batteries to worry about and the light weight, no sweat on the ears in the Texas heat!

We give them "four thumbs up!" :)

I have one quick question on the Halo's. Has anyone had any problem with them breaking? How well are they built? I'm seriously considering a pair for my somewhat "professional" use (I'm a CFI for a large university), but want to make sure these are something that can last 6 hours of flying per day, constantly being taken on and off, for a long time.

Any thoughts? Comments are certainly welcome! :)

I've been using the headset for about 3 weeks, and while I'm pleased with the set for my usage, I have some doubts as to whether it will hold up for the type of use that you're describing.

Part of what makes the headset so comfortable- lack of weight- also makes it a little less sturdy than traditional headsets, in my opinion. I am very careful (maybe too careful) in putting the thing on my head (w/ hat, sunglasses), and removing the headset. I think that's where you might ultimately have an issue. The tubes which connect the earpieces to the headband, then into the headset cord, may pull out, possible tear, after some time, although I'm told that the tubes are "surgical grade" silicone, which implies to me that they won't dry out.

In any case, I would recommend calling the company and speaking with the owner. Tell him your situation and planned use, and I'm pretty confident that you can trust his (understandably biased) opinion. I spoke to him for a good 20 minutes at OSH, found him to be a straightforward guy. He'll offer to let you try it for 30 days w/ an open return policy, which will give you a chance for a hands-on evaluation of the sturdiness of the unit. I think that given the fact that the Halo is a relatively new product, only time will tell as too it's longevity under daily utilization.

Let us know your conclusion.

Well, after considering all of my options for these new style headsets, I decided to go for the QT Halo's as well. I only have one small problem with them...I haven't received them yet!! :D

Just out of curiousity, how long did it take for those of you who ordered them to actually receive them? It's been about a week now, and I hate to bother Phil, so I thought it best to ask here first.

Thanks...I'm really looking forward to trying these out!! :eek:

When I ordered mine, he said it would take about 10 days before he could ship. Apparently, he is getting flooded with orders (thanks to this forum and others).

Vern

When I ordered mine (shortly after OSHKOSH), he answered on his cell phone as he was driving to a supplier to beat on them to get material to build more! It took about two weeks and mine showed up.

Paul

I too ordered mine right after OSH, and Phil was on the cell on the way back home. He told me that it would be 2 weeks, ended up being about 10 days.

***PENALTY*** Ironflight - Failure to post links when posting about cool new products. 10 yards, Second down!

:p

QT Halo best yet

I recently got mine within 5 days. I use the silicone plugs with flanges because they can be washed. My point of comparison is my Pilot ANR. The big problems with the Pilot were the need to keep the NiCd battery charged and the uneven seal around my ears because I wear glasses. The Pilot is pretty good if I hold both ear cups to my head with my hands, but sometimes you have to use your hands for other things when you fly, y'know? Additional headset problem is that I like to sit high for visibility and the headband would hit the canopy. The -7A is very noisy compared to my C-150 and I was having trouble with communications.

I love the Halo. It's much quiter, voices are very clear, the absence of ear cups is very nice. It's a little awkward getting it on and off compared to a headset, but well worth the few seconds. I use the time that I need for the GRT AHRS to stabilize to put on the Halo. My fatigue factor is reduced by experiencing less noise. The earplug stops more noise at more frequencies than the ANR. I'm a convert.

I love this thread. I really like my David Clark ANR headset but it's so darn bulky and my glasses always get in the way (and negate a lot of the ANR because I can't get a nice, tight seal). You guys have sold me on these things...I gotta go get me one.

Just ordered mine. Backlog seems to be about 1 week now. We'll see :D

Hopefully they'll work out and I can get a set for Ellen too.

Mine came today. Took them for a quick flight around the pattern. These things are quiet and clear, more so than my DC ANR's or Bose X. I don't know about the squelch issue since I was alone but I'll investigate that this weekend.

Bottom line is now that I've flown them, I think they're a steal at <$400.

I just put on about 20 hours in six days of flying, including two six hour days in the cockpit,and I still love 'em. I never had any inclination to pull the old Lightspeed 20's (ANR) out of the bag....

Paul

I received mine Monday, took a friend tuesday morning and flew for an Hr. After some minor tuning by turning the squelch down just a little and turning up volume on the control box they worked perfect. I can't believe something this simple could work so good. I called approach control and asked for a radio and transponder check. I was worried about reception because I have old hearing. The reception was bell clear. Needless to say I'm pleased. See you at LOE

Just placed an order...he asked where I heard about it them, and told me I must be the last VAF guy to get one! Sounds like this thread has generated some sales.

Just got mine in the mail...

Sadly I been sick all week so haven't had a chance to test 'em.

Frank
7a

Oh my!

I just got back from testing mine.....I still have the remnants of the flu so I'm a little plugged up still but the results are very encouraging.

Reception is crystal clear and the noise level is much lower. I think the major cause of stress when flying is headset noise. I always came back with ringing in my ears.

Not now...awesome!...So quiet in fact you hear the slightest change in engine note...its a little eery, too noisy to hear before!

I'm wondering if the molded earplugs would add more comfort????

Frank
7a

Just follow up...

I flew from WJF(Fox Field, Lancaster CA) to RHV (Near San Jose) with Ellen. I had the Halo's and she had my David Clark ANR's. After 5.7 hours in a Cherokee, I can say:

1) The Halo's are still VERY comfy and VERY quiet
2) The DC's are pretty darn comfy and quiet too. They were getting uncomfortable for her around the 4th hour, though.
2) I didn't have any problems finding a squelch setting that worked well for both headsets like others have reported.

Here's what I think is going on: The HALO's and my DC both have slightly lower gain then, say, a LightSpeed. I had a similar problem when I was flying with my instructor way back when. I always had to speak up to cut through the squelch and it was irratating as heck.

Frankly, I had always wished my DC's mic was a little more sensitive and I'm a little bummed that the Halo's are the same way. On the other hand, all the headsets I own "match", so that's good! :D Also, the clarity of transmission seems to be better with the DC's and Halo over some other brands...at least from what I can hear in the intercom. I guess you trade clear transmissions for having to speak up a bit. OK, so I'll take it, see? :)

And geez, even the cheapest, clunky, ANR headsets these days are pretty amazing compared to what was available 10 or 20 years ago. It's great to have all these choices!

For those of you that have used the halo's with a passenger in the plane. Do you have any issue with intercom conversation? When I tried a competitors product I found that with the ear sets pushed in enough to block out the noise, then they would block the venting of my ear. Causing the same sensation as talking with your ears plugged. I would hear myself talking louder in my head than the side tone of the intercom?

Is this similar to the Halo's or do they somehow not block the ear canal?

The beginning of this thread got me interested in the Halos. When I checked the noise attenuation specs, I noticed that these headsets start out at about 20 db at the lower frequencies, and then go to 40 and more at the higher frequencies. This is the opposite of the active noise attenuators, which do a better job a low frequencies, and fall off at high frequencies. I thought this might be a good thing, since I prefer the rumble of exhaust to the whoosh of air.

Sure enough, they work exactly this way. When you don a pair of any of the active headsets (at various times I have tried/owned Bose, Dave Clark, and a couple of Lightspeeds), the engine exhaust note goes away, and you hear a high wind noise type sound. With the Halos, the wind noise goes away, and you hear the exhaust rumble (muted, of course, but that is the dominate sound). I like that much better.

Together with the comfort factor, this headset is a keeper. And, my GIB likes the Lightspeed G30 I passed on to her.

I have separate controls (squelch and volume) on my intercom, and so it works fine with the two different headsets. XM radio sounds great too.

Nuisance said:
The beginning of this thread got me interested in the Halos. When I checked the noise attenuation specs, I noticed that these headsets start out at about 20 db at the lower frequencies, and then go to 40 and more at the higher frequencies. This is the opposite of the active noise attenuators, which do a better job a low frequencies, and fall off at high frequencies. I thought this might be a good thing, since I prefer the rumble of exhaust to the whoosh of air.

My very limited understanding of the issue is that it is the lower frequencies that do the long-term damage to the ears. Something to do with more power in the lower frequency sound waves. So even though the foam plugs may appear to be effective do they really give the same level of hearing protection as the ANR headsets designed to be effective at lower frequencies?? :confused:

Fin 9A

Finley Atherton said:
My very limited understanding of the issue is that it is the lower frequencies that do the long-term damage to the ears. Something to do with more power in the lower frequency sound waves. So even though the foam plugs may appear to be effective do they really give the same level of hearing protection as the ANR headsets designed to be effective at lower frequencies?? :confused:

Fin 9A

Fin- that is exactly why I was very slow and cautious going into this (and changing away from the ANR's I'd used for hearing protection for years). I consulted several audiologists and flight surgeons that I had at my disposal, and they all said that as long as the Halo's lived up to their specs, that they would give the same or better overall hearing protection..

Saving my hearing is my number one priority with a a headset - sound quality is second. I've lost enough hearing already due to a third of a century of open cockpit machines....

Paul

Halo vs. ANR

While I cannot offer science to bolster this opinion, I have used both ANR and HALO and I have no doubt that the HALO is - or at least can be - much better at blocking all frequencies. My -7A is very noisy. My Pilot ANR's, even if held tightly to my ears like one "hear no evil", don't hold a candle to the HALO. I can fly for several hours and easily understand every word on the radio, recognize voices and even background noises. It's a surprisingly relaxing experience. And, just for information, I'm using the white silicone plugs for convenience, not the foam. I'm certain the real-world protection is superior to any normal headset. I'm of an age where my wife thinks I need hearing aids because of my declining ability to sort out foreground from background noises in daily life. No such problem with the HALO's. I find that the demo recording on the HALO website is accurate. My two cents.

Back from second flight

with clear hearing...Effects of flu bug almost all gone.

All I can say is I'm a convert. White silicone plugs fit best for me and these things are just amazing. Closest thing to a living room conversation in an RV...and thats without sealing the airgap yet between the canopy rails and tip up canopy.

14 more hours of phase 1 left and my Wife gets to try them.

Frank
7a

Halo.....Not for me.

I too had ordered my Halo's at OSH. Different story however. After about one hour into a flight the mic quit. Sent back to them and were repaired, they said that a wire was not connected as well as it should. Tried them again and when keying the mic some feedback was very loud. Same sound when people with hearing aids squeel. Called back and they said it was a bad ground or something to the terms of an open ground. Who would have figured that both my planes that I tried them have the same problem? Not me.... Returned and was refunded. Will try another source..
Regards
Tbone

Wife hated them

frankh said:
with clear hearing...Effects of flu bug almost all gone.

All I can say is I'm a convert. White silicone plugs fit best for me and these things are just amazing. Closest thing to a living room conversation in an RV...and thats without sealing the airgap yet between the canopy rails and tip up canopy.

14 more hours of phase 1 left and my Wife gets to try them.

Frank
7a

Had her hands over her ears in abject pain!...Couldn't stand to push the earplugs in far enough and thus could not block the noise. Not the best flight in an RV experience...:).

So Halo's are definatly not for everyone.

Frank

Change the ear buds!

I guess I was brought up to be extrmely frugal (many say the word is "cheap...), so I tend to use things over and over and over and over....as long as I can!

I noticed yesterday on the way back from Oklahoma that I was having trouble getting nice clear sound from my XM radio, and at the same time realized that I was hearing more aircraft noise than I thought I should - and my right ear bud just wasn't sealing well...

Of course, I've been using the same set of ear buds for two months! :eek:

I put new ones in this morning, and it was like having a new headest all over again...I guess that after a while, the buds just loose their ability to seal properly.

Still love the headset, and with fresh buds, it's even better!

Paul

Paul,

I used the foam ear inserts when I first got my QT Halo. That didn't last long...I switched to the rubber ones and it's night & day quieter (at least for me). And the rubber ones don't seem to lose their ability to seal.

As long as you don't mind junk jammed into your ear canal, the QT Halo is quieter than any other headsets I've ever used (including Lightspeed Thirty 3G and Bose).

dan said:
Paul,

I used the foam ear inserts when I first got my QT Halo. That didn't last long...I switched to the rubber ones and it's night & day quieter (at least for me). And the rubber ones don't seem to lose their ability to seal.

I know a lot of folks find that the rubber ones work best Dan, but I have funny ears, and they simply don't stay in....I wish they did - would be less hassle!

Paul

QT Halo's for Doug???

I noticed our editor-in-cheese, Doug, had the experience of his headsets coming off in a high-G bank yesterday. (Doug, we do read your daily notes on the VAF site.) Doug, you should give the QT Halo's a try. You could fantasize about being a real NASA flight controller!!! :D

I don't have any personal experience with high-G maneuvers with my Halo's, but they are so light, they should be candidates for the aerobatic pilots out there.

Hey, everybody, I think Doug knows me well enough to know that I'm ribbing him!

Don

Last edited:
I've been flying with David Clark H10-13.4s for a very long time and have been quite satisfied with them. This spring I took a multi-day trip in an airplane with Bose Xs and thought that that was pretty nice, maybe I should upgrade.

First I was cutting edge and got an early set of the David Clark X11s. I wrote up my experiences on the site. I wasn't happy with those at all and much preferred my ancient H10-13.4s. The X11s went back.

Next I decided to go with the consensus of the group and purchased a set of Quiet Technology Halos. Neat buying experience. The (I assume) owner of the company asked me to hold on while he pulled over, when I called to order. He said he was on the way to get a flying fix in his TriPacer.

I liked the Halos. I wore them with the band to the rear and really couldn't tell I was wearing them at all, and the additional head room meant I didn't bump my head all the time in turbulence. I was real happy for a couple of flights.

Then I found out that they aren't compatible with David Clarks as the mic is much less sensitive and it is impossible to adjust the intercom so the vox works with the mix of headsets (I wouldn't like to ask a passenger to use the Halos). This had been reported previously, but only by one person, I think.

The final straw was today, when I was told by a fellow RVer that they couldn't understand me. That isn't acceptable to me and yes maybe something is wrong with my pair. For now it is back to the ole DC H10-13.4. Tried and true. I am too old a geezer to get my mind around paying one thousand dollars for a headset (Bose X).

I tried a set of Halos, and flew with them for a number of flights. There were times when they seemed to work well, but others when they were just too loud. I'm sure this boils down to making sure the earplugs are pretty new, and seated well, but it was just too much fiddling for me, so I sent them back.

I'm back to my Lightspeed Thirty-3G's that just came back from service (again). I also have a pair of 25XL's for the back. I really like the fact that the ANR cuts the low freq engine rumble better, since that's my main complaint. I also think that's what makes you feel tired after a long flight. They're big and bulky, but I like them.

As for Bose, a friend loaned me a set for a couple flights, and I don't think they're as quiet as the Lightspeeds. I'm sure they're much more comfortable if you were to wear them for hours at a time, but I don't often do that, so I can't see $1k each for those either.

Cheers,
Rusty

I've flown Halo's for about 20 hours. Here is my opinion:

- They are a bit fiddley to put on compared to my DC's. With experience this is not a problem.
- I gained a pound of usefull load compared to the DC (anr kit).
- they are much quieter across the whole spectrum. I had to turn down my radios and other audio sources.
- voices are much easier to understand
- they are more comfortable, and not sweaty.
- one can put them on and off without removing your cap (and vice versa). This is non-trivial... sometimes when flying formation I remove my cap quickly to locate another aircraft.
- I plugged them into my home stereo and found them to have excellent audio quality-- probably comparable to audiophile quality headsets.
- no problem interoperating with pax DC's.
- the only problem I've had is that the sound quality can change with ambient air pressure. Sometimes I've had to pull them out to equalize pressure to fix this. I guess I should stop the 2000 fpm climbs.

Conclusion: my DC 13.4 with the ANR kit is now for sale.

Vern Little

n5lp said:
Then I found out that they aren't compatible with David Clarks as the mic is much less sensitive and it is impossible to adjust the intercom so the vox works with the mix of headsets (I wouldn't like to ask a passenger to use the Halos). This had been reported previously, but only by one person, I think.

Hmmm...Larry, I've mixed my Halos with other headsets and have never noted a problem, but I can't positively say I've mixed them with DC's. I need to find out myself.

n51p said:
The final straw was today, when I was told by a fellow RVer that they couldn't understand me. That isn't acceptable to me and yes maybe something is wrong with my pair. For now it is back to the ole DC H10-13.4. Tried and true. I am too old a geezer to get my mind around paying one thousand dollars for a headset (Bose X).

Larry, something must be wrong. With about 25 hours of use since July (and four today in my 172) I've never had anyone tell me they had trouble hearing me. In fact I've had comments about how clear my transmissions are. Could it be that the two problems above are related? Have you tried your Halos in another airplane with the same receiver (the fellow RVer) for a comparison. Obviously, I'm really sold on mine, although I will admit they're not perfect. I hope you give them another chance before you give up on them ;)

Don

Last edited:
Intercom Used?

I think we need to start stating which Intercom we are using with the Halo headsets. Just trying to see if and intercom pattern starts to show up.

I've used mine with a FlightCom 403 Intercom. I wouldn't say I have to shout, but I did notice that I had to talk a little louder then normal. It wasn't my airplane so didn't experiment with the VOX controls.

--
Michael

control said:
I basically have to have the mic inside my mouth to have it activated without shouting.
You sure you got the mic rotated the right way? If it twists, maybe it's not actually facing your mouth.

sonex293 said:
I think we need to start stating which Intercom we are using with the Halo headsets...

My intercom in the 172 is PS Engineering, and so far I haven't noticed any problems, but I do plan to run some tests with different headsets...after Christmas! :D
Don

Last edited:
Back