-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > RV Firewall Forward Section > Traditional Aircraft Engines
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2021, 04:20 AM

From what I read in Aviation Consumer SAP have talked about an AMOC since Feb last year - surely it doesn’t take this long ?
Yeah, I called Justin (FAA) last week (4am in morning here) & got the same reply, they have NOT seen an AMOC yet. I’m guessing there may be deeper issues in the background.
We have to comply with the AD here so I’ve pulled & stripped down the engine ready for another crank - more later.
Old 07-17-2021, 04:04 AM

I too have talked to Justin at the FAA, this was in July 12.
He has not seen the AMOC yet but he did state it has to be submitted first to the
Regional operations office.
We talked in detail about the failures of the 3 crankshafts. And yes as of today there are only 3 all in Cessna 172S all in 2 different training schools. Not one since 2017 well before we knew anything about this(coating problem)
He reiterated that although AD’s like this are not required for experimental aircraft it would be advisable to do. Which I do agree when there is an answer and we are not shouldering the cost. If there is no answer I too will be biting the bullet and buy a new crankshaft.

I said it is ironic that there has been no failures in a Superior Engine.

I asked him why if ECI did the finish work on these
Crankshafts what is not Continental involved in this also since they bought the assets of ECI.

He stated that Continental was very careful and did not take any of the Liability that ECI has acquired. They only bought the assets of the company. The rest was dissolved. (Basically, short answer)

I will seek out Bill Ross at Oshkosh. He is doing a couple seminars there.

Jack
APRS/ WB4JKY
Retired Corporate Pilot CFI-AI, MEL
CE500, LRJT, HS25, C650, SBJT, CL60
Hunt Aviation, LLC.
Pilot Service, IPC's Biennials.
Comm Glider
Old 07-17-2021, 08:54 AM

I spoke to Rhonda at Barrett on July 12, but she had no new information. I'll keep checking this thread and post when and if I ever learn something new. Jack, thank you for your updates.
RV-8 #83507 - registered; final assembly started; still painting.
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/goatflieg
Dues paid for 2021... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?
Old 07-27-2021, 05:38 PM

Default Superior AD AMOC

Someone at OSH should ask Superior where their AMOC is, as of yesterday the FAA has not seen it according the the letter I received.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:33 PM

I spoke to Bill Ross at Oshkosh on Monday. He said Superior has had continuing discussions with the FAA and is confident the AMOC will be approved within the next few weeks. At that point, Superior will contact all owners of record offering a postage paid crankshaft box. Bill says there will be a 2 week turnaround for the regrind/renitride to O/H limits at Aircraft Specialties. Cranks will be returned with all gaskets and new rod bolts, etc. He estimates owner's cost for teardown and rebuild to be $5000 to 7000. I checked with G&N and was quoted $4800. Nothing new really......I'm not pulling my engine out of the plane just yet!

Stewart Willoughby, 6
Old 07-27-2021, 09:48 PM

That would seem to be good news... but Bill has been making roughly the same statement for seven months. I'm just waiting for action, just like everyone else... except for those that bit the bullet, took action and bought a new crankshaft.
Builder websites:
YouTube Channel:
Dues paid for 2021... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Old 07-28-2021, 04:31 AM

Tell him he’s dreaming - a suggestion was made to me to get another secondhand crank, pull mine & send it in for rework (where’s that elusive AMOC - still not in to the FAA as of yesterday) & when it comes back just sell it to offset the other purchase.
Yeah right Any bids out there on what a ‘secondhand’ reworked Superior crank is worth? - probably zilch IMO.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:45 PM

Default 45 day clock is ticking ?

Just got back from Oshkosh ... After some 'venting' to some poor sale guy. I finally was able to talked to Bill Ross in person. He says we are just "days away" from the FAA approving the AMOC that was submitted .
Then I talked to Aircraft Specialties... they told me they have seen the submitted AMOC and its pretty much their normal crankshaft rework process and its a 3 mil material removal with a 2 week turnaround.
Am I foolish to think this long nightmare is soon to be resolved ?
Old 08-01-2021, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsissom View Post
Just got back from Oshkosh ... After some 'venting' to some poor sale guy. I finally was able to talked to Bill Ross in person. He says we are just "days away" from the FAA approving the AMOC that was submitted .
Then I talked to Aircraft Specialties... they told me they have seen the submitted AMOC and its pretty much their normal crankshaft rework process and its a 3 mil material removal with a 2 week turnaround.
Back in May (the last time I got my hopes up) Aircraft Specialties told Barrett that they had been briefed on the AMOC by Superior and queried by the FAA about it, which led us to believe that the AMOC had been submitted back then. I'll wait until mid-week before reaching out to Rhonda to see if she knows anything new after OSH.
Builder websites:
YouTube Channel:

Old 08-02-2021, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsissom View Post
Just because Aircraft Specialities have seen the supposed “submitted” AMOC does not prove that the FAA has in fact actually received it. Then if it is there then it can be in their system for up to 45 days.
Why would anyone believe Superior given that they had 18months to draft & submit an AMOC to the FAA ?
If you want the truth then contact the FAA, like I did on the 28th July.