- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-22-2021, 09:11 PM

Default Voltage at 15.5

My voltage is at 15.5 according to my vpx. Dynon Skyview volts and amps show 0 but Iím not sure theyíve ever worked properly as I havenít really paid attention.

Any suggestions for what to check? Heading to Oregon in the morning and then will be parked for two weeks so I can order whatever parts are needed from the mothership and then pick them up.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:18 PM

Your voltage regulator is failing. If you have the standard Vanís Firewall Forward Plane Power alternator, it has an internal regulator. These can be repaired if you know what you are doing.

Carl
Old 10-22-2021, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
Your voltage regulator is failing. If you have the standard Vanís Firewall Forward Plane Power alternator, it has an internal regulator. These can be repaired if you know what you are doing.

Carl
It has the Nissan Denso alternator. Are the voltage regulators pretty easy to come by in the Portland area? Iíd assume yes.

Any issue flying it about five hours? Avionics are rated to 24+ volts so Iím thinking no problem.

What concern, if any should I have about flying it as is?
Old 10-22-2021, 09:31 PM

Take your alternator to a shop for repair, or just replace it before you do your next engine start.

15.5 VDC buss will degrade your battery in short order. I also suspect you have stuff in your plane that will not play nice, like all your stuff besides your 24 vdc avionics (servos, lamps, lights, strobes, boost pumpÖ..)

Carl
Old 10-23-2021, 07:03 AM

Not only are there the dangers that Carl pointed out, but the danger of the voltage going higher yet. If it goes above 30, avionics could be ruined, costing thousands. Of course the VPX could be lying. Verify the voltage with a voltmeter.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:02 PM

Not to mention cooking your battery...

As for Skyview zero volts/amps, sounds like something is not wired right.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:20 PM

Thank you for the information.

Had a wonderful flight to Hillsboro Oregon today. Never saw above 15.4 volts and experienced no issues. Well not entirely true; forgot to turn on the alternator after start today and right after liftoff got a VPX Fault. But turning on the alternator fixed that.

Iíll call Vans on Monday and see if they can ship me a new alternator. Has anyone had any issues getting an A&P mechanic to install an auto alternator in their RV?
Old 10-24-2021, 01:37 AM

Just to echo others: Odyssey says to never charge their batteries at any voltage over 15 volts.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:08 AM

My advice, which is worth what you paid for it, is to get this fixed ASAP.

What kind of ignition and fuel system do you have? What kind of battery? Over 15v means something is wrong, and it could start smoking other things on your aircraft.

If you don't yet have a good "EAB-aware" A&P, I'd find one and make him/her fall in love with you since you are going to have a very close relationship over the coming years. Swapping out parts that might not be broken is an expensive and time-consuming way to troubleshoot.

I'd also recommend getting hooked up with the Savvy Aviation guys - https://www.savvyaviation.com - you can use them to see what's happening in your engine. They might also be able to recommend an A&P for you that's a reasonable distance from where you live.

Another option is to call these guys, as they probably know someone on the left coast that does what they do: https://baselegaviation.com/

A small investment now will help ensure that your aircraft provides you many years of safe and enjoyable flying.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8ch View Post
My advice, which is worth what you paid for it, is to get this fixed ASAP.

What kind of ignition and fuel system do you have? What kind of battery? Over 15v means something is wrong, and it could start smoking other things on your aircraft.

If you don't yet have a good "EAB-aware" A&P, I'd find one and make him/her fall in love with you since you are going to have a very close relationship over the coming years. Swapping out parts that might not be broken is an expensive and time-consuming way to troubleshoot.

I'd also recommend getting hooked up with the Savvy Aviation guys - https://www.savvyaviation.com - you can use them to see what's happening in your engine. They might also be able to recommend an A&P for you that's a reasonable distance from where you live.

Another option is to call these guys, as they probably know someone on the left coast that does what they do: https://baselegaviation.com/

A small investment now will help ensure that your aircraft provides you many years of safe and enjoyable flying.
I have Lightspeed ignition. I have two fuel tanks with a fuel pump. Odyssey battery.

I used Savvy with a previous airplane and they cost me a great relationship with my then long time AP mechanic. They tell mechanics how to do their job and upset them. 7 year relationship went up in smoke.

Will give Base Leg Aviation a call.