Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-21-2021, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post

2) What are you finding at the 100 hour inspections?

Thanks!
Anyone find anything at the 100 hour inspection? I have one coming up, and it's not really that clear what to look for. The manual says this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PmagManual LC114.28 p23
Remove ignition and examine shaft and drive gear condition. Note: Ignition disassembly is not necessary (and if done may void your warranty). Look for excessive play (lateral and axial). Shaft rotation should be free, with no catching, flat spots, or grinding. The shaft on ďPĒ models (with internal alternator) will have a push-pull rippling effect as the shaft turns and the permanent magnets pass the rotor poles. This is normal and expected. If a P model ignition does not have this magnetic ripple, the unit requires additional (shop) service.
Seems straightforward, but wanted to check with the brain trust beforehand, since I've seen them when they were new, but not 100% sure I would recognize a problem by wiggling the shaft.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:21 AM

Default Shaft play

Mickey,

At my last conditional inspection in February I had one of my pmags where there was lateral play in the shaft that amounted to about 1 mm total from side to side, maybe even a little less. The other pmag had absolutely none. I spoke to Brad about it over the phone and decided to send both units in. At the time, I had been flying the plane almost two years and had just over two hundred hours on it and had not had any problems with either unit.

When I got them back, the shafts on both units were rock solid. Brad didnít say if there was any acceptable tolerance with shaft play, but convinced me that it was better to have them looked at than run the risk of internal damage or failure if shaft lateral play were to increase. Other than obvious repairs, I donít know what all they check or service when they receive units in from customers, but in my case they also updated the software to version 41. I was also concerned about any possible damage due to excessive heat as the temp stickers on both units had tripped at just under 200 degrees.

I have to admit that pulling the pmags out far enough to conduct this inspection every year is a bit of a pain, but Iím happy with their performance so far and the customer service from Emagair has been excellent.

J Baker
RV8
Old 10-21-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
Mickey,

At my last conditional inspection in February I had one of my pmags where there was lateral play in the shaft that amounted to about 1 mm total from side to side, maybe even a little less. The other pmag had absolutely none. I spoke to Brad about it over the phone and decided to send both units in. At the time, I had been flying the plane almost two years and had just over two hundred hours on it and had not had any problems with either unit.

When I got them back, the shafts on both units were rock solid. Brad didnít say if there was any acceptable tolerance with shaft play, but convinced me that it was better to have them looked at than run the risk of internal damage or failure if shaft lateral play were to increase. Other than obvious repairs, I donít know what all they check or service when they receive units in from customers, but in my case they also updated the software to version 41. I was also concerned about any possible damage due to excessive heat as the temp stickers on both units had tripped at just under 200 degrees.

I have to admit that pulling the pmags out far enough to conduct this inspection every year is a bit of a pain, but Iím happy with their performance so far and the customer service from Emagair has been excellent.

J Baker
RV8
Thanks Jim - this is very helpful. I would not have thought that 1mm shaft play is enough to take them out of service, but if that's what Brad says, I'll of course follow his advice. I'm also really happy with the performance of these pmags.