Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 08-02-2022, 04:59 PM

Default Planning for OSH '23

Airventure 2023 will be my first time to be able to come in an RV. Other times, I've flown a Tiger or a Commander 114 in. So it will also be the first time that I can park in Home Built parking. I'm curious how that works for arriving on Wednesday? I like to come Wednesday-Sunday so I have 2 chances of seeing the night show and the big acts that are there on Friday-Saturday.

Are there parking slots available on Wednesday or are they full? Is there a separate area for RVs? Are camping and non-camping areas separate? Are there RV events that are earlier than Wednesday that I should not miss?

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-02-2022, 05:31 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Generally speaking, Wednesday is the day that lots of homebuilt start packing up and departing, so yup - plenty of holes in which to park!
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 08-02-2022, 05:46 PM

...and, yes, as far as I'm concerned, the real homebuilt action is Sun-Wed.
Yes, homebuilt camping and non-camping is roughly separated, by a few feet.
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy. Last 90% reboot
RV-9A N4822C built flew 15yrs 2200+hrs.
VAF Advertiser
Old 08-02-2022, 05:49 PM

Homebuilt Camping (HBC) and Homebuilt Parking (HBP) are different areas.
Is there a separate area for RVs? No
Are there RV events that are earlier than Wednesday that I should not miss? Did you see Doug's schedule for the week that was on the front page for the duration of Airventure? Probably similar for next year without the 50th anniversary events.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:05 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by koupster View Post
Are there RV events that are earlier than Wednesday that I should not miss?
Beer fest Mon night.

https://vansairforce.net/community/s...d.php?t=207275

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 08-03-2022, 07:58 AM

Does anyone on VAF happen to have any contacts at EAA? This year I tried to bring a Navy T-6A to show but was told you have to coordinate ramp space months in advance. Definitely want to get the ball rolling for 2023 now..
Old 08-03-2022, 08:26 AM

I arrived Thursday this year and went the entire time last year so here is my take.

Yes, there will be plenty of spots open on Wednesday. You might have to wait in a line of departures when you arrive as well depending on the runway they give you. This year early Thursday I was waiting on the ground for 51 minutes trying to get into homebuilt. Mainly because apparently warbirds getting out is the all high and mighty option to the ground crew and they stopped everything for it. If arrival traffic is light and ATC at Fisk gives you the option go for 36 L or R every time. I think 36R would be the perfect runway because it ends right at the turn that takes you to homebuilt.

Arriving midweek this year I missed virtually all of the homebuilt schedule which was kind of a bummer.

However, if the airshows are what you are mostly interested in they definitely get better later in the week.

If you plan on buying a shirt that is either small or medium that needs to be your first stop on Wednesday and hope you get lucky. Both years now I waited too long and there is usually only 12,000 XL, XXL, etc options left. lol
Old 08-03-2022, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post

If you plan on buying a shirt that is either small or medium that needs to be your first stop on Wednesday and hope you get lucky. Both years now I waited too long and there is usually only 12,000 XL, XXL, etc options left. lol
That’s because most of you dimension challenged light weights usually come out depart before the big boys get there.

VAF #818
Saint Simons Island, GA. KSSI
PIF 2007 - 2022

I just wish I could afford to live the way I do
Old 08-03-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOTO01 View Post
Does anyone on VAF happen to have any contacts at EAA? This year I tried to bring a Navy T-6A to show but was told you have to coordinate ramp space months in advance. Definitely want to get the ball rolling for 2023 now..
I just finished my third term on the Board of Directors (no longer on as of a few days ago).

I probably can put you in touch with whoever is the correct person when the time comes.
RV6, RV8 Flying
RV6A Hoping to get back to finishing soon
APRS
Old 08-03-2022, 02:31 PM

Default OSH aircraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOTO01 View Post
With the T-6 types I'm not sure that is true. The ramp space that is premium are the paved areas for jets as they have small wheels and tend to sink into the ground more easily. Even the jets sometimes have to be put on metal plates to prevent them from sinking into the asphalt. They all sit on closed runway 31/13 and space can be a premium. T-6 and similar aircraft including fighters are usually "in the grass" somewhere west of the runway and jets.

A good resource would be Warbirds@eaa.org. That will get you who you need to get in contact with.

And we almost ALWAYS have room for Warbirds down in Vintage.....
The adventure begins when things stop going as planned - Glen Heggstad
Exempt but still a happy Subscriber! 2022-2023