Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark33 View Post
So why the 72” on the -14 (taildragger)? I know the 72” is recommended for the -7, but I think the -14 sits up taller than the -7. I may be selling my -7 Q.B. kit and switching over to the -14, so this subject is of interest to me. I already have the 72” and it’d be nice if in fact it’s a good choice for the -14. That’d keep me from having to sell my 72” and then having to buy the 74”. So us there no real performance differences in the two props?
I have the 74” on my -14 and measured tip to ground clearance at 13” in level attitude
Old 07-17-2021, 05:31 PM

Default Drop test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark33 View Post
So why the 72” on the -14 (taildragger)? I know the 72” is recommended for the -7, but I think the -14 sits up taller than the -7. I may be selling my -7 Q.B. kit and switching over to the -14, so this subject is of interest to me. I already have the 72” and it’d be nice if in fact it’s a good choice for the -14. That’d keep me from having to sell my 72” and then having to buy the 74”. So us there no real performance differences in the two props?

I spoke with both Vans and Hartzell about this before ordering my prop. While the ground clearance may seem more than adequate, the issue was ground clearance and the drop test done by Vans, video on their website. For me, one more inch of blade on each side wasn’t worth ignoring strong advice from both parties. And they couldn’t tell me then (four years ago) what if any difference there would be in performance. Maybe they can tell you now.
N1477M
Kit #140329
If I had a nickel for every time I didn?t know what was going on, I?d be, like, ?Why am I always getting all these nickels??
Ka-CHING
Old 07-18-2021, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rRob View Post
I have the 74” on my -14 and measured tip to ground clearance at 13” in level attitude
Good information….thanks!
RV-8- IO-360, Hartzell C/S (Flying)
RV-7- (Building)
Old 07-18-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don E View Post
I spoke with both Vans and Hartzell about this before ordering my prop. While the ground clearance may seem more than adequate, the issue was ground clearance and the drop test done by Vans, video on their website. For me, one more inch of blade on each side wasn’t worth ignoring strong advice from both parties. And they couldn’t tell me then (four years ago) what if any difference there would be in performance. Maybe they can tell you now.
I’ll contact Vans to see if they have any updated information/recommendations. Thanks!
RV-8- IO-360, Hartzell C/S (Flying)
RV-7- (Building)
Old 07-18-2021, 10:20 AM

Default Getting the cowling on/off

I have a WhirlWind 3 blade on my 14 and the performance seems close or better than the data I've seen with the 2 blade. This is only my opinion. What I can see and the point of writing this is getting the lower cowling (I assume that is what builders think could be an issue) on or off is very easy even with one person. What does help is I have the Anti-Splat fairing guard that I can use to slide the cowling up or down the fairing. I think even if I had a 2 blade I would use this.
Old 08-12-2021, 02:39 PM

Default 3 blade prop & anti splat

Would you send a picture of this "anti splat" devise?
Is anyone using a Catto 3 blade?
Old 08-12-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
There's no dressing out big dings or cutting down the tip on a composite blade.
Actually the composite props are surprisingly repairable. The details of what can and can't be done are outlined in Hartzell manual 170, and they have a few videos to demonstrate also. Much easier than one might think.

Cutting down the tips? Don't think I would try that one....
Dues 2021 ✅
Old 08-12-2021, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
If around 100 pounds of additional static thrust qualifies as "no performance gain", then your position might be valid. In my experience, the Hartzell composite prop is awesome for getting off the runway and is really nice in formation flying too.
Can you point me to the performance data that demonstrated a 100 lb increase in static thrust for the composite vs. metal Hartzell prop? Is this for a two or three blade Hartzell?
RV-8A N2D #80583 - built/flew/sold
RV-14A #140017 - wings complete, empacone in progress...
Old 08-16-2021, 09:05 PM

Default Hartzell composite Props

Our local FBO services Cirrus and I'm told that Cirrus uses Hartzell composite on their ships. Lots of data on that prop, and it's the same one recommended for the RV-14A
Cheers
Old 08-17-2021, 01:07 PM

I have read (with no supporting proof, to be fair) that the 3-bladed prop mated with the EXP engine is considerably smoother. Can anyone with actual experience with either the MT or Hartzell version chime in on this issue?
RV-14A Kit#140433
Completed: Vertical Stab/Horizontal Stab
Scrapped: Rudder
Working on: Empennage (Elevator, Rudder #2, Aft Fuselage)
Ordered: Wing Kit (Arrives March 2021)
Construction log - mykitlog.com/ajackson
Dues paid on March 2021
Member of EAA Chapter 92 (KCNO)
Pet peeve: "Lose" (rhymes with "booze") is the opposite of "find". "Loose" (rhymes with "juice") means "not tight".