Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-23-2020, 11:37 AM

Default RV-8 Tailwheel Steering Geometry

I recently found quite a bit of wear in my Aviation Products tailwheel attach block with 1500 hours on it. This is allowing the fork a fair amount of fore and aft motion that I?d like to stop.

I called Karen and ordered the parts. My airplane currently has a 20 degree attach block installed (see photo attached) but this puts the top of the steering shaft forward of the fork...which I gather is less than ideal. I don?t get any tailwheel shimmy, but I can feel the wheel spinning around the instant I set the tail down until I get some weight on it.

API also offers a 10 degree unit, which would put the steering closer to the correct geometry, but I understand will make steering stiffer...I?m concerned about added wear to the steering system if that is the case.

What angle API blocks are you guys running with your chain setups?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rzkZ1fGzNB62PX6e9