- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:00 PM

Default Interesting Approach

It looks like you have things well in hand. IIRC, the offset of equivalency ratio to peak EGT is due to latent heat of the fuel, on a natural gas engine it is right on. Again IIRC. For your calculations I would not worry about humidity and certainly not nitrogen. Temperature and In-Man-P yes.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1001001 View Post
Anyone have a chemical analysis of 100LL?
Much like automotive gasoline, there is not a single formula that defines 100LL. ASTM D910-14A defines the performance that 100LL must meet, but that document leaves it up to each refiner as to how to achieve the required performance. This means that the chemical composition can vary from refiner to refiner. They will be similar, but just realize that there will be some variation.

This is why isooctane is used in ICE research - to eliminate variability of the fuel composition.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:44 AM

Dave,

Just installed an Air/Fuel Ratio monitor, and have had a few longish legs to do some data collection during leaning (painfully slow leaning to evaluate injectors and learn what AFR is telling me). Lot's of raw data to wade through, as its collected by hand from my VM-1000 :

My first peek at this data seems to correlate well with the charts and numbers Dan shared here. Best power, roughly based on cruise speed during leaning, occurs about 12.5:1, Peak occurs in the mid- to hi- 14:1 range (14.5 to 14.9) and my motor starts to grumble a bit and speeds drop off markedly just before reaching 16:1 (the top of the scale on my AFR monitor). I'm going to try to hand-jam this into a few spreadsheets, and will be happy to share what I come up with. The sensor is on one side of the engine versus each cylinder, the data is eyeball collected, and the AFR reading jumps around a bit, so it may not be at the super-fine data level you may be generating...but if its of value, happy to share.

Its giving me some good data on injector management too!

Interesting thread!

Cheers,

Bob
Georgetown, TX
President/Sport 49, Sport Class Air Racing
Trustee, Formation Flying Inc (FFI)
Old 03-21-2015, 06:47 AM

Bob's numbers are right in line with what you'd expect.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 460.7 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiy...g2GvQfelECCGoQ

Old 08-09-2022, 03:49 AM

The numbers look right to me. I get something similar whenever running a dry colorimetry analysis.