Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2018, 10:03 AM

Default New Flap Actuator for the RV-10!

Great news!

We will no longer have to deal with an external flap position sensor on the RV-10!

I just finished installing one of the prototype flap actuators from PHAviation.com. These actuators have a BUILT IN potentiometer for position information, so say goodbye to the external sensor mounts and linkages.

Here is a side by side comparison of the actuators:

The construction and finish of the new actuator is awesome!

It took me about a day to retrofit my RV-10 which is about 90% complete. The install process involved fabricating a mount that bolts to the original actuator mount. As the new actuator is longer, the new mount extends the pivot point 1 1/2 inches farther forward. The mount was fabricated from 1/16 x 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 and 1/16 x 1 x 1 angle, and was a fairly simple task.

Installation during initial construction would be a breeze!

I made a couple of 5/16 ID x 5/8 OD spacers that were 1/2" long for the actuator pivot. I opted to add a washer on each side to increase the clearance on the actuator housing, though this was probably not necessary.

Once the actuator was centered in the tunnel and the pivot point was located 1 1/2" forward of the original, the mounting flanges were match drilled to the support angles. All parts were then removed, demurred, and finished. Nut plates were installed and the actuator was installed.

I needed to extend the rod end bearing about 1/4" to provide clearance on the flap bell crank. I tested the operation and range of motion and it was perfect!

The actuator is quiet and VERY smooth in operation. It has three additional sensor wires (just like the external position sensor) that will connect to an indicator.

I am very impressed with this unit and the customer service received from Pat. This is a definite upgrade over the stock unit and simplifies the overall system.

Highly recommended!

Now all that is left to do is remove the external sensor!

For those that are interested in this upgrade, I would be happy to discuss it further!

RV-10
Phase I as of 12-02-2020

Dues+ Paid 2020,...Thanks DR+
Old 04-24-2018, 10:50 AM

Bob,

This looks very interesting. Could you share the weight and cost? Also, how does the actuation speed compare?

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2018, 01:48 PM

Default Details

It appears that the speed is about the same, and the weight is likely about 1 lb more...it definitely a more robust actuator.

As for the cost and availability, give Pat a call at PHAviation.com. He will be able to address those questions. If you have other questions on installation, I would be happy to help!

RV-10
Phase I as of 12-02-2020

Dues+ Paid 2020,...Thanks DR+
Old 04-24-2018, 05:50 PM

Default PHA RV-10/-14 Flap Actuator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidocs View Post
Bob,

This looks very interesting. Could you share the weight and cost? Also, how does the actuation speed compare?

Thanks!
Thanks to Bob for posting his comments on our new RV-10/-14 flap actuator! We are in the process of testing our first two production units and we'll be offering these for sale soon at $349 which includes the installed rod end bearing. The unit weighs 2 pounds 15 ounces, which is a little over a pound more than the stock flap motor. Time of full extension/retraction is about 12.5 seconds which compares closely to about 13 seconds for the stock unit.

Here are a couple of videos showing the new actuator in operation. This airplane is a client's RV-10 that is under construction here locally. It has a Garmin G3X Touch panel that is in the process of being installed, so as you would expect, things look a bit unfinished!

https://youtu.be/aur2-ov3hsc

https://youtu.be/eSK5Pesp0Gw

Thanks for watching! We'll post updates when we have something to report.
RV-7 (Sold)
RV-8 (Builder & Avionics Installer)
www.phaviation.com Trim Relay Boards/Flap Actuators
www.pathatch.com/blog (Photography)
Track Me
Old 04-24-2018, 06:34 PM

Way to go Pat!
Tom
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com
Old 04-24-2018, 07:54 PM

Pat,

Very nice. I always enjoy seeing aftermarket innovation to make these great airplanes even better!!!

Steve

aircraftspecialty@gmail.com

www.aircraftspecialty.com
www.asflightlines.com
Old 04-24-2018, 11:33 PM

Will this system integrate into the Dynon or Advanced display and the Vertical Power Pro?
Elevators - Complete
Cabin Cover - Complete (wheewww!)
FWF - Complete
EFII 32 - In Progress
Dues Paid Through 2020
Old 04-25-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhip View Post
Will this system integrate into the Dynon or Advanced display and the Vertical Power Pro?
Yes, the only thing that would change is the switch. Flap control systems like the VP-X Pro and the Garmin GAD 27 will require a spring-loaded switch in both directions ((ON)-OFF-(ON)) for input into the systems. A single-pole switch like the 1-7 is all that is needed for these systems. If you have the little flap lever going on the switch, you'll need a non-rotating bat type switch like the Honeywell 1TL series. We use the Honeywell 1TL1-5, which is a single pole, spring loaded in one direction switch. For the VP-X or GAD 27, use the 1TL1-7.
RV-7 (Sold)
RV-8 (Builder & Avionics Installer)
www.phaviation.com Trim Relay Boards/Flap Actuators
www.pathatch.com/blog (Photography)
Track Me

Last edited by Pat Hatch : 04-25-2018 at 05:38 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:21 AM

I just did my BFR and did the guy did a "water buffalo" on the runway at 5'. It reminded me of how much forward stick it takes when going to full throttle with full flaps. I have two speed trim, but the fast trim and flap speed are no help in that situation. It takes a long time to get back to a resonable stick.

I would like to see a two speed flap actuator, fast retraction and about the same as now extension. It would not help with the immediate response, but would reduce the amount of time to get the stick force back to reasonable so the trim could catch up. The built in pot is great.

My only issue I have with this amazing aircraft is the trim requirements when flying.
HP-18 5596S flying since '83
RV-10 996S flying since 2014, quick build wing and slow build fues., - dual Skyviews with complete system, two radio and not much else. Interior completely finished with Zolatone. CF plenum. 1624 lbs, FLYING after a 21.5 month build.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:51 AM

Pat,
In leu of the switches you listed, is it possible to use the switch on the infinity stick grip for the flap switch?
Elevators - Complete
Cabin Cover - Complete (wheewww!)
FWF - Complete
EFII 32 - In Progress
Dues Paid Through 2020