Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2018, 11:39 AM

Yes, absolutely. You?ll have to use reversing relays in this case as these are single pole switches. Actually, in my opinion it?s always better to use relays anyway?extends the life of your switches because you?re not carrying the flap load through your switch.
RV-7 (Sold)
RV-8 (Builder & Avionics Installer)
www.phaviation.com Trim Relay Boards/Flap Actuators
www.pathatch.com/blog (Photography)
Track Me
Old 08-13-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpattonsoa View Post
I would like to see a two speed flap actuator, fast retraction and about the same as now extension.
I've heard several people complain that the RV-14 flap actuator seems to slow. I never timed how long it took on my -8 but it seemed like around 8 seconds give or take. I'd be much more interested in an aftermarket actuator for my 14 if it was faster than the stock unit from Vans. I've wondered if the stock unit (or Pat's aftermarket unit) could handle higher voltage, say 16-18 vdc, without burning it up. If so I could rig up a circuit to increase voltage and presumably make it run faster...
RV-8A N2D #80583 - built/flew/sold
RV-14A #140017 - wings complete, empacone in progress...
Old 08-14-2018, 10:07 AM

Mark,
The RV-8 actuators run about 6 seconds no load for the 5" stroke (at 12 volts). RV-10/14 about 12-13 seconds, same stroke. The difference is the motor gearing and max load. The RV-10/14 flaps are obviously a significantly higher aerodynamic load thus the motors have to be geared differently.

In theory, DC motors' speed is a function of input voltage and it is a linear relationship. In theory. I need to do a little more research to see what effect we'll have at the voltage range you're asking about. These actuators are rated at up to 48 volts DC input voltage, so you should be good with stepping up to 16-18 volts. When I get additional information I'll post it.
RV-7 (Sold)
Track Me
Old 08-14-2018, 10:49 PM

Default Flap actuator

Mark,

Try this place. They are 50% less in price and are the same as the other guy here sales. I have a friend who uses this same built unit in his 9. You can use a 4 inch throw with .5 inch per sec, That will make it a count of 8 for full throw. They have built in limit switches an a position pot for EFIS position display.

https://www.pololu.com/category/127/linear-actuators

Pick the one you need, add the mount and drill and tap the end for a rod end, and you are ready to go.

Good luck.

Brian

Last edited by Pdtofly : 08-14-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:08 AM

Default but...

I have purchased linear actuators from pololu several times and they are great.

I also have the rv-10 version actuator from PHAviation. I can tell you that the PHAviation actuator is a very high quality unit.

I have found that most of the cheaper actuators are definitely lighter duty. Their back drive force is also typically lower, as well.

Do your homework, the loads imposed on the actuator in the rv-10 can be substantial.

Nothing but good things to say about Pat over at PH Aviation...

RV-10
Phase I as of 12-02-2020

Dues+ Paid 2020,...Thanks DR+
Old 02-21-2021, 10:28 PM

I am sorry to bring back an old thread.

I just wonder if the question of faster extension or retraction is possible with the actuator? I have the oem on my RV10 and would love to have faster actuation for emergency procedure eg engine out near airfield?
Old 02-22-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9krpm View Post
I am sorry to bring back an old thread.

I just wonder if the question of faster extension or retraction is possible with the actuator? I have the oem on my RV10 and would love to have faster actuation for emergency procedure eg engine out near airfield?
As they say, everything in aviation is a compromise. So for a given motor size, i.e., weight and physical size, you can have either speed or force. Given the size of the RV-10 flaps and the aerodynamic force required, it's a tradeoff on how fast you can move the flaps. You can gear the motor for faster but you lose force. Yes, you can make a bigger motor and go faster but you have to find a reasonable compromise here. I think we're there.
RV-7 (Sold)
Track Me