What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skybolt grommet retainers

Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
I've completed the Skybolt VLoc installation on the cowling and firewall. I know the cowling is going to go on and off about a billion more times, but it looks to me as if getting the retaining clips off (if I put them on now) would be well-nigh impossible. However, I can see getting *really* frustrated having the grommets continually falling out every time I take the cowling off.

Any suggestions here?

TIA!

Steve

Proper tool

Hey Steve,

Yes this is frustrating!!! You need the right tool. Check with Skybolt for the tool. The part number is SK245-PK. Once you have them, the job is easy. You can get them at Sears also.

Unless you are flying, don't use all the fasteners after initial set up. Maybe every third one or so. That'll get the job done until you need them all.

"Work smarter, not harder."

Good luck. It gets better:)

I have the sky locks only in the top at the firewall and flew for 2 years without the retainers installed. Whenever I took the cowl off I pulled out the three on each side that were closest to the longitudinal split, i.e. the ones that were most likely to fall out. While I would occasionally have to chase one it worked fine. I just got my plane back for paint and this was the first and only time I installed the retaining clips.

All FWIW

All best

Jeremy Constant

Hi Steve,

it is not impossible to remove the retainer rings after installation. i decided at one point to replace the supplied retainers with standard retainer rings from lowes (the ones with two holes that you can easily remove with a special plyer).

i remember that i needed a small screwdriver and a small blade to get them off. it's a bit tricky but once you figured out how to do it, it's pretty easy.

btw, it came out one disadvantage with lowes' retainers... there not that "strong" and during cowling pull on/off they can get loose and some grommets fall out.

i would suggest for others planning to use skybolt fasteners, to put them in as last as possible and to use clecos during the cowling fitting process.

cheers
Kay Stecklum
RV-7 (not flying yet)

CLoc Grommet Retainers - Removal

Over the years I have tried everything; every trick to remove the R4G retainers from the grommets. Typically, I used a curved pick tool available in a pick tool set available at Lowes, HD, best one at Sears. Recently, I was installing a cowling kit on a C182 and I broke my prized (and last) curved pick tool. So I tried the right angle tool that was in the set. I applied slight pressure to the outside of the grommet; stuck the right angle pick into the retainers spit; then gave it a snap action to open the retainer and one after another I was popping the retainers off with ease. http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd415/nedbowers/DSC03177.jpg
Ned Bowers

Part number of the skybolts?

I am working on my 7A, and I am not quite at the cowls stage yet, but I wasa planning on using skybolt for the cowl attachment. Can anyone provie my with the full part number and LL the stuff and tools I need to install them?

Thanks

I am working on my 7A, and I am not quite at the cowls stage yet, but I wasa planning on using skybolt for the cowl attachment. Can anyone provie my with the full part number and LL the stuff and tools I need to install them?

Thanks

Ummmm...why not just call Skybolt and talk to them? They have complete kits for every model of RV, either for the entire cowling, or just portions (full firewall, top only, bottom only, sides).

They'll also tell you what tools you need (the pliers and retainer insertion/depth adjustment tool).

Very nice folks, great product (albeit pricey).

another

get a used dental tool from your favorite practitioner. No problem removing the retaining rings until they jump off and have you on your hands and knees.

Another option

I installed the grommets and to prevent chasing and losing them when they fall out the retaining rings were installed. I tried to remove a couple using the flick-dickey method and although I am pretty good with stuff, could not get it to work.

I dreamt about finely machined tools then went the shop this morning and made one from scrap. Here is the picture. It is two razor cutter blades (dulled) with a 5/32 welding rod duct taped for the fulcrum and wrapped in a rubber band for spring back.

Just wedge the two thin, strong edges in the gap, spread, with one hand, and with the other use a pick or small screw driver to lift and remove the ring.

No swearing, hunting or flicking. Kinda shade tree, but it is easy and it works every time. It is cool watching it work, but I did not have a third hand to hold the phone for a video. :rolleyes:

Skybolt%2520ring%2520removal%2520.JPG

Back