- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-11-2021, 07:06 AM

Default Electric Trim Installation

Hey Guys. Still a new builder and need some advice from the Vans community. I'm getting close to the end of my empennage kit and trying to install the electric trim kit. I couldn't find any directions in my empennage kit package, but the info was on the drawings. I installed the servo brackets as I thought was correct, but the control horn of the servo is off center of the hole for the control rod. I've checked and doublechecked and I followed the plans precisely.

The drawings show 1 3/8" from the inboard edge of EET-602B-L to the outboard edge of E-616PP. Looking at how it lays after assembled, it almost looks like I need to reverse the parts (i.e. 1 3/8" from the outboard edge of EET-602B-R to the inboard edge of E616PP)

Did I miss something? Anyone else seen this? I've already ordered the Replacement E-616PP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211010_233930681.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	364.2 KB
ID:	16990  Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211010_234016555.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	16991  Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211010_234317228.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	343.7 KB
ID:	16992  

First Time Builder
RV8A- Status:
Empennage Kit: In work (85%-ish)
Wings Kit: Ordered (Standard Build)

https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=Adam_RV-8
Old 10-11-2021, 07:43 AM

This is the picture that you need. As I remembered it, some trimming was required after I finished building the trim tab. You will make more builder judgment as you progress in your build because the plan will never be as clear or detailed as the empenage section. There is a camp that will purchase replacement part for every minor mistake and there is another camp that prefer to build a replacement for a simple part. You have to decide when to purchase new part or when to make replacement. I have done both.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	16994  
Avionics Installation -- 90%
Firewall Forward -- Cowl completed. Baffle 90%
Electrical -- 90%

Donation paid through 2021
Old 10-11-2021, 07:48 AM

I had the same problem on my nine. I ended up mounting the servo to the brackets and centering the rod on the slot. Then marked the edges of the bracket on the plate, removed the servo aligned the brackets with the marks and marked the holes on the plate.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:04 AM

I recently added electric trim to my -9A. I changed the 1 3/8 dimension to 1 1/4 to better align the pitch rod with the trim tab horn. That change also centered the rod in the slot opening in the E616PP cover plate.
Old 10-11-2021, 01:49 PM

Thanks, Guys. I hate I need a new part, but I'm glad I'm not the only one. I feel better now.

First Time Builder
RV8A- Status:
Empennage Kit: In work (85%-ish)
Wings Kit: Ordered (Standard Build)

https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=Adam_RV-8
Old 10-12-2021, 12:50 PM

I did about the same thing, built to plan and saw too late that the rod sits slightly off center in the slot. However...it's not binding, seems to operate smoothly through the full range of motion and nothing rubs or comes close to rubbing, so I'm undecided whether I'm going to do anything about it. If it was a show plane, sure, but perfection is the enemy of good enough etc.