Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2021, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janekom View Post
I think you are simply running these tires at too low a pressure. I had more or less the same years back and running them at higher pressures almost completely solved the uneven wear. I would recommend 3.5 Bar which is 50 Psi. But it is still a good idea to rotate them on the rims during your annual.
Thanks for your input. I agree that 40 psi was too low for those tires. So, for the GY Flight II. Rated load @1950/tire = 3900 @68 psi equates on the RV 10 to:
2700 (RV 10 max)/3900 = .692
.692 x 68 psi = 47 psi

Iíll try some high speed taxi tests with 50 psi on the new tires.
Old 10-01-2021, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Lewis View Post
What is the brand/model of tire that you describe as asymmetrical?
I believe itís the Air Trac stock tires from Vans.
Old 10-01-2021, 11:32 AM

Weight off doesnít matter. You want to be concerned about wheel alignment when the plane is sitting on the ground. Changing tire model will not help your condition.
Looking at your picture, Iíd think you have a toe in & camber problem. I donít know RV10 gear legs, if they are solid, or if they are flanged where shims can be added to adjust toe in & camber, hope so in your case so you can do something about it.
As for tire life, you can double it simply by following previous posters suggestion. Also, maybe include tire tread inspection to your preflight check, & not let this condition ever get this bad again before doing something about it.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:11 PM

Jesse, just to clear up any confusion here, your tires were nice and symmetrical when new. It was your airplane that created that asymmetry.

Last edited by aturner : 10-02-2021 at 06:17 AM.
Old 10-01-2021, 11:27 PM

Tires with a rounded profile have a significantly smaller circumference at the edges than in the middle.

Put this together with some camber and low enough tire pressure for the edges to make contact with the ground, and I think you can see fast wear just taxiing around.

If the diameter in the middle is 1 inch more than at the edges, I think the edges scrub a distance of 3 inches every revolution of the wheel, i.e. slippage of over 5% for a 15" wheel. It gets worse as rubber is removed from the edge and the diameter gets smaller.
Old 10-02-2021, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse23 View Post
Why are the stock tires asymmetrical with that weak bulge on the outside of the tire? I have seen older threads that mention this condition described below.

I understand a little bit of camber, but when the wheel is off the ground, the camber/toe angle seems a bit much, since after 120 hrs both sides (not the tread) show cord, and needed replacement. The initial landing is taken on the outside of the tread, and there is no way to adjust suspension on the 10, except to go with symmetrical tires like the GY Flight II or Flight III. At least you can flip these.
Jesse - I replaced my tires during my first condition inspection on my RV10. It had about 140 hours. Definitely was NOT as extreme as yours, but I saw significant wear on mine. I have the stock setup included with the RV10 kit. Here is what mine looks like. Question for you. How much taxiing are you doing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	989E7A93-8A9C-4866-8005-11D0D09F5F63.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	463.7 KB
ID:	16581  
Old 10-02-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cderk View Post
Jesse - I replaced my tires during my first condition inspection on my RV10. It had about 140 hours. Definitely was NOT as extreme as yours, but I saw significant wear on mine. I have the stock setup included with the RV10 kit. Here is what mine looks like. Question for you. How much taxiing are you doing?
I think low tire pressure caused the premature death. We are at BKV in Brooksville, FL and not a long taxi to runways. Your pic shows the asymmetrical profile of the stock tires. Using 50 psi in the GY Flight II to start. Tire looks correct on the ground (looks like it has the correct pressure). GY shows 68 psi at 3900 lbs (1950/tire) so, 2700 (RV 10 max)/3900 (rated load) = .692
.692 x 68 = 47 psi

That is where my 50 psi comes from.
Old 10-02-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturner View Post
Jesse, just to clear up any confusion here, your tires were nice and symmetrical when new. It was your airplane that created that asymmetry.
See cderkís pic of his stock tire. That is the asymetrical aspect of the tire profile I was referring to. The outside tire profile does not mirror the inside, like most tires do.
Old 10-02-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse23 View Post
See cderk’s pic of his stock tire. That is the asymetrical aspect of the tire profile I was referring to. The outside tire profile does not mirror the inside, like most tires do.
It looks like that after use on his RV. I'm confident it was symmetrical when new.

See the photo of Air Trac tires on Aircraft Spruce's site, for example. Symmetrical tread grooves.
RV-6A N47TD - 1100 hrs (sold)

Last edited by Tim Lewis : 10-02-2021 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:56 AM

Default just an observation---

from the peanut gallery----looks like to me the wheel pants are involved here. The fact that the camber or under inflation of the tire wasnt caught LONG before it ever got to the point of showing cords is due to the wheel pants being installed and no visual inspection taking place.

Landing at a high speed and having a blow out due to cording the tire could be a disaster---both financially and possibly physically.

My recommendation---for what its worth since I STILL HAVENT FINISHED MY RV--- would be to pull the wheel pants, do a proper inflation and check the camber. Check the axle mounting---you never know.

Tom
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7A Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan, on hold while we develop new products for RV builders
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com