Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2021, 08:22 AM

Default Cost is a factor

Sorry cost is a factor, Im not flying a lot at the moment and not sure how long I can keep flying. Im recovering from chemo and have passed my medical but I find pulling out the cessna 172 to then get the rv-14A out very tiring. Its a shared hangar and I'm on my own a lot so I struggle with the Cessna. Was looking at the GoTow as it is over 1/2 the cost of the Best Tug. Im in Australia so info is harder to get locally so getting info on the GoTow fitting an Rv-14a would help a lot please?
I plan on using the tow on both planes, needed for just a short run to outside the hangar doors.
Old 09-06-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky005 View Post
Sorry cost is a factor, Im not flying a lot at the moment and not sure how long I can keep flying. Im recovering from chemo and have passed my medical but I find pulling out the cessna 172 to then get the rv-14A out very tiring. Its a shared hangar and I'm on my own a lot so I struggle with the Cessna. Was looking at the GoTow as it is over 1/2 the cost of the Best Tug. Im in Australia so info is harder to get locally so getting info on the GoTow fitting an Rv-14a would help a lot please?
I plan on using the tow on both planes, needed for just a short run to outside the hangar doors.
Just an idea - I'll bet there is someone on the field with a tug that you can use from time to time. Might take a few minutes to "drive" it to your hangar and back, but probably a lot cheaper than buying one. Even if you chip in for gas or electricity or buy the occasional adult beverage.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:02 PM

I have a snowblower conversion that someone gave to me. Works well.
Exempt, but donated 2021
Old 09-06-2021, 08:57 PM

Two thumbs up for the MiniMax. For me, it has worked perfectly on the RV-10; easy to handle and the materials and construction quality is great. Just purchased a second one for my Cessna TR182.
RV-10 Flying
RV-8 #2 Empennage Completed
RV-12iS Kit on its way
Old 09-07-2021, 05:00 AM

Default Pants on

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbrown819 View Post
Two thumbs up for the MiniMax. For me, it has worked perfectly on the RV-10; easy to handle and the materials and construction quality is great. Just purchased a second one for my Cessna TR182.
The MiniMax does look good, but id like to confirm the MiniMax works with the nose wheel pants on?

Last edited by Rocky005 : 09-07-2021 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Reword my own question
Old 09-07-2021, 08:43 PM

Actechnology is awesome but pricey. As you continue to recover from chemo you'll get stronger and eventually fully recover, God willing. I move a C182 and soon -10 with the actech unit.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:50 AM

Default MiniMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky005 View Post
The MiniMax does look good, but id like to confirm the MiniMax works with the nose wheel pants on?

I have a MiniMax for my RV-10 with the extended pins and it works great for my situation (slight uphill slope into hangar) with the nose wheel pant installed. If you get it I would suggest getting a spare battery. Because one minute it is working and the next the battery is dead. No gradual slowdown from the battery. Once recharged it's great. Hence a spare.
RV-10 N42AH
RV-9A N42AH - SOLD
Europa Monowheel XS N42EU - SOLD
BH-206B3 N42AH- SOLD
BH-206B3 N43AH - SOLD
Track N42AH/N1FLY
Old 09-11-2021, 01:50 PM

Default Tug for an RV-10

Like most other things, it depends--on the situation, on personal preference, and yes, probably cost.

I used a Powertow 40 for a year or so. Nothing wrong with the design per se, I just didn't like a couple of things about the way it worked. The back of my hangar is pretty tight v the horizontal stab when backing in, and the "arm" from nosewheel to tail is long, so a slight lateral movement on the nose translates to a lot of movement of the tail. Additionally, there is an upslope into the hangar and a "lip" right at the entry itself (or I wouldn't need a tug at all). With the Powertow, both directional control and speed control were a little course. Not impossible to use safely, but required both experience and focus.

A friend has a BestTug A3, another has an A1 (I think). Both love them, although at least in the latter case speed control is on v. off. For the A3, I think there is "high" and "low".

I eventually purchased a used AirTug, pics below with a little luck. It needed a bit of modification to fit the -10. I built a "shoe" on the nosewheel-bearing plate to keep it aligned and prevent it from rolling too far forward and crushing the wheelpant. I also needed to build a crossbar to add to the frame. The previous owner had a Cessna 400 (can we say that on VAF?), which has a vertical nose strut. He used a short strap wrapped around the strut to connect to the winch/tow strap. That's not possible with the -10 strut design. Absent the cross bar, when connected to the tow points the winch strap would put pressure on top of the engine. Full confession, the 2 bolts tack welded into the crossbar as guides aren't AN hardware--they came from the aviation aisle at my neighborhood Ace :-). Same is true for the eyebolt that adapts the lower part of a Bogeybar to the winch strap...strike two. I designed several options to connect the strap to the tow points, but in the end, half a bogeybar was simple and very secure. For me, the beauty of the AirTug is control--it will pivot on a dime if needed. It also has a hydrostatic transmission, so I have an essentially infinite choice of speeds from a foot or so/min to a walking pace. The only downside I can think of, unless you have a strong preference for electric v gasoline as an energy source, is size. The footprint of the AirTug is certainly much larger than a Best. At ~25% the cost of a new A3, I'm OK with that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AirTug_1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	381.8 KB
ID:	15705

Name:	AirTug_3.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	15706

Name:	AirTug_2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	442.0 KB
ID:	15707
Old 09-11-2021, 05:55 PM

I'm in a similar situation to the post above. Bought an Aerotow on the used market for about 30% of what a new Best Tugs would have cost. This thing is the predecessor to their current "GetJet" model. Its previous owner used it on an Aerostar. The owner before that used it on a Navajo and a King Air C90. It's not rated for the King Air but this thing is built like a tank and shows no harm from having been overloaded. It's a real beast and at first glance appears to be huge overkill for the task. OK, it IS huge overkill for the task, and I love having the confidence of knowing this tug will have no trouble moving my airplane uphill and over the humps and bumps to get into our hangar.

In our northern climate there is a huge advantage to having the nosewheel weight over the drive wheels of the tug. I've used many different gasoline-powered tugs but wow do I ever enjoy the 24V electric power of this tug. Never a worry about getting it started in the winter. It stays charged via the built-in battery minder, so just unplug and you're ready to tug.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:12 AM

Default Best Tug A2

Have had a Best Tug A2 since summer of 2020. Really like it! It has the option of pivoting or staying rigid by removing a pin. I found it tricky to push with the arm pivoting, so I keep it rigid and pick up the tug when needed. It isn't that heavy when you're just re-positioning it. Variable speed depending on how far you push in the drive lever. Yes, it was expensive. Yes, it was worth it to me.