Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2021, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
With this in mind, I would stay away from anything that doesn't support the nosewheel if one is planning to operate on anything other than perfectly flat, smooth, dry, hard surfaces.
I’m theory, I agree. But the Best Alpha tugs get rave reviews and don’t work that way.
2019(?) RV-10

Last edited by Kyle Boatright : 09-29-2021 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 01:21 AM

This is a little tug that I made from a trailer/caravan mover, it’s one of the ones that fit on the trailer/caravan tow bar and takes the place of support stand and swivel wheel. Was easy enough to modify, I fitted spring loaded arms that are easy to fit onto the front strut. My hand mover uses the spring loaded arms as well. The unit moves our RV10 forward and reverse with a 12volt battery. Not a fast mover but is ok on inclines that make it just to hard to move the aircraft if only one person available. This is the first time Ive tried to attach a photo so hope it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4B9ABF91-E590-4E90-85E0-A689D9347F09.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	16490  
Old 10-03-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
I’m theory, I agree. But the Best Alpha tugs get rave reviews and don’t work that way.
Kyle - I've looked long and hard at the Best Tugs products and they are excellent - on that point we can agree to agree vehemently!

Where our opinions diverge on performance of a "tow" vs a "lift and tow" tug is almost certainly based on experience, and those experiences are almost certainly very different based on geography and climate.

The Alpha would be pretty much useless in the environment in which I operate. It's wheels offer little-to-no purchase on ice nor an up-slope covered in snow. Similarly, the small diameter of its wheels would be presented with a severe challenge in entering my hangar over the big crack which appears as a result of frost heaving in the winter. That crack can grow to 3" of vertical displacement of the asphalt - that's literally a 3" curb the tug has to overcome. It's a significant challenge even for my AeroTow which has large wheels and the weight of the aircraft nosewheel to aid in traction.

Suffice it to say that one should purchase a tug after researching the options available and comparing them to the mission at hand. Each of us will have a different mission. Old Man Winter has a nasty habit of taking a relatively simple mission and contorting it into the mission from, well, an unpleasant place. Unfortunately around here, Old Man Winter is a factor with which we are forced to deal for several months of the year...
Old 10-03-2021, 05:09 PM

Default Best tugs

I actually talked to them at Oshkosh this past year about a tug for my -10. They said the A series will work but then asked if there was much slope to deal with or snow/ice. If the answer to those questions was yes, they recommended the B series.

I got lucky, my hangar mate sold his cirrus and I bought his tug…a B8 model. Way overkill but the price was right and I saved on tax and shipping…

It works GREAT.

RV-10
N464RL

Dues+ Paid 2020,...Thanks DR+