Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 08-27-2022, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad's RV-10 View Post
According to this article, the pistons are forged.
No real surprise. Forged pistons are cheap insurance in boosted or NOS applications.

Larry
Old 08-27-2022, 03:12 PM

Forged pistons and oil squirters. That's what you need to make it reliable at these specific outputs.

Whoever wrote the article didn't research production turbo engines with ITBs very well.

Lotus blew through twin Dellorto sidedraft carbs on their 2.2 turbo way back in 1989.

Nissan produced ITB turbo versions of the SR20 and RB26 over 20 years ago if I recall correctly.

I could be missing some others but Yamaha is hardly the first and despite the hype in this article, there is no new technology here. Nothing really different from state of the art automotive turbo engines from 25 years ago.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 460.7 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiy...g2GvQfelECCGoQ

Last edited by rv6ejguy : 08-27-2022 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-29-2022, 06:02 PM

Default Good job!!

Teal,

Great to hear about this. I can personally appreciate how much work it is putting an alternative engine in an RV....and how much fun it is.

It is good to hear people offer support and encouragement and I hope people continue to respect it is your choice and keep the parental cautionary verbage to a nano-minimum.

I know here in KY, Justin Richardson, who just put a Sterna prop on his RV. I can't remember which model of RV he has. Ill encourage him to jump on here and comment about the prop.
https://vansairforce.com/community/s...158610&page=70
2022 Dues paid
Old 08-29-2022, 06:29 PM

Quote:
It is good to hear people offer support and encouragement and I hope people continue to respect it is your choice and keep the parental cautionary verbage to a nano-minimum.
There's lots of newbies who are in over their heads, so providing unbounded enthusiasm can show up more accidents and in higher insurance rates for all of us, maybe in more closed airport.

"It's a homebuilt and you can do what you want... but the laws of physics don't care what you want."

Ed
Old 09-05-2022, 09:58 PM

Default Prop Diameter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal View Post
It climbs really, really good up high. But Cruise speeds are not as good as they should be. I feel that I am running out of propeller surface area, Not pitch because I can continue to increase pitch and still load the motor but increased HP is not equating to increased speed. Airmaster tells me this is the largest blades they can offer at this time. The highest that I have taken it was 15.5k and it will still climb around 1.5-2k ft per min. at 15k I think I was still able to make 44INhG manifold pressure. I am considering trying a fixed pitch propeller that performance up high. Sterna is telling me that they have a blade they want me to try. Anybody have experience with them?
What diameter prop are you running? When 2.85 PSRU was introduced for Mazda rotary engines, that required a longer prop to absorb the extra hp produced; and many guys ended up increasing their prop length to ~76 inches.

Doug
Old 11-29-2022, 01:31 PM

currently 67"