-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:17 AM

If you flipped the compass display 90 degrees you might have room for a turn-rate indicator too.

Dave
Old 03-03-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Paule View Post
If you flipped the compass display 90 degrees you might have room for a turn-rate indicator too.

Dave
One day, the heading indicator will migrate to a full HSI, which can include a turn rate indicator. Right now, there is a turn rate indicator on the attitude display.

The beauty of open-source is that we expect other developers to get creative. Right now, my next step is to put up a set of engine gauges. They were developed some time ago, but adding the menu system overlays to allow customization of the parameters takes some time.

I have had some requests for a fully-designed 'back seat' panel for the RV-8. This is pretty simple. It would consist of 3 or 4 displays on a removable panel attached to the seat back support. You would just need a 12V source (cigar lighter works) to power the units which would get data over WiFi. I am making some cardboard templates for this prior to cutting sheet metal. I'll publish the design once complete.

Previously, I have used split PVC pipe to make clips to snap on the instruments individually, and it's possible to do the same for a whole panel. I may use commercially available metal clips from the marine store.

Why removable? Not all back-seat passengers want a bunch of instruments in front of their nose, or you've packed a bunch of bags there that would interfere. It is also only a 30-second install.

I just need to catch up on my sleep for a week or two... last night was the first night in over a year that I got a more than 7 hours of ZZ-time.

Rob and I are still working out the details on how to unleash these devices to the world. Watch this space.
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
Member of OnSpeed team
The VV in huVVer.tech
Victoria, BC (Summer)
Chandler, Az (Winter)

Last edited by vlittle : 03-03-2021 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-04-2021, 07:19 PM

Completed flight tests, removed the M5 version and replaced it with the 2” (2.4”) bright screen device. A bunch of these should be out in the wild soon. Will be including the OnSpeed AOA display.

https://eaabuilderslog.org/showmy.ph...2ABAB3E88.jpeg

More:

https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojen...=&cat=Avionics

Edit: forgot to mention: supports Dynon SkyView, Garmin G3, Garmin G5, plus the OnSpeed ADAHRS devices as data sources.
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
Member of OnSpeed team
The VV in huVVer.tech
Victoria, BC (Summer)
Chandler, Az (Winter)

Last edited by vlittle : 04-04-2021 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-04-2021, 07:44 PM

I continue to be impressed. 2 covid vaccines under my belt now and my surgery is back on for next week so hopefully soon after seeing the great results I'll be back to buying a plane, just so that I can install my OnSpeed and your displays !!
Sadly sold my RV-8 N52VM however I'm still trying to enjoy life by creating an airport with FREE campsites for pilots to come visit www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ WHILE WAITING FOR THE HIGH WING RV15 !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 04-04-2021, 08:05 PM

Good luck with your back surgery Carlos! If you're coming to OSH, I'd be happy to take you for a ride in my RV-10 and show you both Onspeed and Vern's display. Well, Vern's original M5 display for now. Can't wait for the new ones to be out.

Vern, please put me on the list for two of those new displays. Actually make that 3 to include our Onspeed flight test RV-4 too.

Lenny
OnSpeed development team
Old 04-04-2021, 08:09 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Very nice Vern, hope you have success with these.

I am surprised that the configurable instrument thing has never taken off. Friends tried to market something very similar 20 or so years ago with limited success.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 04-04-2021, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny Iszak View Post
Good luck with your back surgery Carlos! If you're coming to OSH, I'd be happy to take you for a ride in my RV-10 and show you both Onspeed and Vern's display.

Lenny
Thanks Lenny. OSH is one of my goals but the first one is to get healthy then next buy a plane. Have a really nice one in talks but have to wait until after the surgery.
Sadly sold my RV-8 N52VM however I'm still trying to enjoy life by creating an airport with FREE campsites for pilots to come visit www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ WHILE WAITING FOR THE HIGH WING RV15 !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Very nice Vern, hope you have success with these.

I am surprised that the configurable instrument thing has never taken off. Friends tried to market something very similar 20 or so years ago with limited success.
3D printing, modern electronics, display technology, and pcb assembly services have finally converged to make it economical.

Writing the libraries was the most difficult part (and I ain't done yet...).

Cheers,
VV
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
Member of OnSpeed team
The VV in huVVer.tech
Victoria, BC (Summer)
Chandler, Az (Winter)
Old 04-05-2021, 09:10 AM

Default GRT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlittle View Post
Edit: forgot to mention: supports Dynon SkyView, Garmin G3, Garmin G5, plus the OnSpeed ADAHRS devices as data sources.
Just curious about GRT - I think I sent them a link to the https://www.flyonspeed.org website a while back and encouraged them to talk to you, but I have not heard anything back. Are you guys talking to them? If not, perhaps it's time for another little nudge.

Their system is very flexible so I'm sure you could work it out quickly by exchanging a few emails. I'd love to have an OnSpeed display on my glareshield - I've reserved a spot for it.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny Iszak View Post
Good luck with your back surgery Carlos! If you're coming to OSH, I'd be happy to take you for a ride in my RV-10 and show you both Onspeed and Vern's display. Well, Vern's original M5 display for now. Can't wait for the new ones to be out.

Vern, please put me on the list for two of those new displays. Actually make that 3 to include our Onspeed flight test RV-4 too.

Lenny
I will contact you offline and get this happening. There is a dimensioned drawing in the document here: http://www.huvver.tech/wp-content/up...Ver-AVI-V1.pdf (will fit into standard instrument holes). I bent up a piece of aluminum to mount to my glareshield, painted it black and it works like a charm (seen in the photos). A 3D printed base could have been made, but I was in a hurry.

The connector pinouts are different than the M5Stack version, but you can pull the pins out of the existing shell and push them into the new shell in the required positions. I recommend painting the new connector shells black as well, to prevent reflections in the windscreen. I am going to see if I can source black ones commercially. I am hoping no shroud or hood is required because of the brightness of the new screen.

Cheers,
VV
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
Member of OnSpeed team
The VV in huVVer.tech
Victoria, BC (Summer)
Chandler, Az (Winter)

Last edited by vlittle : 04-05-2021 at 09:27 AM.