What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Who knows where to buy mil spec tie wraps for engine

ron sterba

Well Known Member
Something new coming down the pike at us builders. They are Hi Temp tie wraps or zip ties used in engine compartments instead of nylon ties. I have heard they are manufactured in the state of Maine and that Cessna and Piper have started using them in their engine compartments. Does anyone know where they can be bought? I'm getting very close to my airworthiness check next month. I have been told if I have plain nylon I might think about getting the new hi temp ties. Thought I would share this info with you builders.

Ron in Oregon RV9A

McMaster Too!

McMaster-Carr (as usual) also carries the blue Tefzel hi-temp ties in many lengths and widths.

HFS

Expensive, but the best.

Thomas & Betts make the original patented brand Ty-Rap with the stainless steel tang that meets the mil specs. Go to their web site and download the catalog. It has all the materials and specifications. T&B is not cheap, but I have a double handful that I pilfered from Western Electric in 1969, and none has ever failed. They are the best.

Here is a link for the radiation resistant tefzel.

http://cabletiesunlimited.com/tyz23m.html

I used the black nylon from them in my build, again not cheap to purchase.

One can not beat Stein prices for the quality and small quantities.

Last edited:
I thought Stein's were too expensive after several orders so went looking.....others were more! Haven't checked those sites above.

I just Googled some tie-wrap sites on the web, and found some black tie-wraps that were good to 285 degrees F. They work fine, even for securing leads for CHT and EGT leads that are 3 to 4 inches away from the exhaust.

When I get a chance at the hangar, I'll check for the brand name.

Last edited:
Yep Gil that LOOKS like them. I'll have to check to se if they have smaller quantities. It makes sense to have these in the engine compartment, ok I mean under the cowl. I think it's a great idea. I'll have to ask our EAA chapter to buy the large quantities so we can buy them for our individual projects. I heard the nuclear power plants have used them for many years. Maybe there's hotter ones! THANKS MEL, SPOT ON!

Ron in Oregon RV9A

Another option is to just buy high temp zip ties (or even regular ones) from grainger or fastenal and inspect and replace as necessary at each annual.
That was my plan when I bought some Thomas & Betts TY525's. Rated for 85C / 185F.

I have yet to replace one in the engine compartment for any reason other than me wanting to add/remove/reroute/etc. whatever they were holding. If I recall they were somewhere around $150 CDN for a bag of 1000.

Fastenall sells a good high quality tie wrap with a metal locking tab. Reasonable price, good quality and they have lasted well for 4 years and 350 hrs in my engine compartment.
Tim Andres

I'm 15 years and 1000+ hours in. My Home Depot zip ties are holding up just fine everywhere, including FWF.

People may be overthinking this.
+1. 90-percent of the tie wraps on my plane don't stay in place beyond 2-3 years. Changing an ignition, changing wires, rerouting wires, etc, etc. They come off. Some have been in place for 10 years behind the panel. Never seen one let loose/release, melt or otherwise fail in 16 years and ~1900 hrs on my ride. And I use a mix of HD, Lowes, and (gasp!) Harbor Freight tie wraps.

Last edited:
tie wraps

Agreed. Now 35 years on our Pitts S-2A. We change tie wraps FWF if they look questionable and for routine tidying. IIRC we had one break. I's easy to access the engine compartment of the Pitts and it gets inspected fairly often. I did get some of the high temp (blue, black) from Stein. One of these broke in the first year. Back to Home Depot, Lowe's, local hardware store from now on!

Not Mil-Spec but high temp tefzel tie-wraps -

http://www.cabletiesunlimited.com/tefzel-fluoropolymer-cable-ties.html

Are these the one you are talking about?
Thanks Gil, I ordered the ties from this company. 2 packages of a 100 each, 4" & 7". Very kind people and good prices, great customer service. Hope my inspector appreciates the trouble I went through finding these ties. Then I'll tell him VAF is a great place to find what you need. Thanks Gil

Cheers
Ron in Oregon

Last edited:
Thanks Mel, I ordered the ties from this company. 2 packages of a 100 each, 4" & 7". Very kind people and good prices, great customer service. Hope my inspector appreciates the trouble I went through finding these ties. Then I'll tell him VAF is a great place to find what you need. Thanks Mel

Cheers
Ron in Oregon

You are welcome --- but it's Gil and not Mel...:D

I'm 15 years and 1000+ hours in. My Home Depot zip ties are holding up just fine everywhere, including FWF.

People may be overthinking this.

The issue might be the inspector, not the zip ties themselves. Here in the DC area, the Washington FSDO inspectors don't like to see nylon zip ties FWF. Sometimes it's just easier to play the game. YMMV....

I suppose the SS ones will work just as well, at least I have no reason why you couldn't use them.

Depending on what they're holding to what, the vibration inherent in the engine compartment coupled with a stainless zip tie could very easily result in the stainless tie cutting right through whatever it's holding. Or whatever it's holding it to. A *nylon* zip tie can cut a groove in your steel engine mount.

The issue might be the inspector, not the zip ties themselves. Here in the DC area, the Washington FSDO inspectors don't like to see nylon zip ties FWF. Sometimes it's just easier to play the game. YMMV....

Ah, yes...much like nylocks FWF. Except for the fact that LYCOMING PUTS THEM THERE, or provides a nice bag of clamps, nuts, bolts and (GASP) *nylon* zipties for the ignition harness.

Gotta love inspectors who make up their own rules.

Is there am FAA reference you could ask one of those inspectors to point to a specification in if they point that out? IE: "That's interesting sir. Can you show me exactly where that's spelled out for AEB aircraft?"

On the other hand, I'm still going to use Stein's high temp zip ties. Not a ton of $ for some extra confidence. :)

Is there am FAA reference you could ask one of those inspectors to point to a specification in if they point that out? IE: "That's interesting sir. Can you show me exactly where that's spelled out for AEB aircraft?"

The practical aspect is whether you want to argue a minor point with the inspector or if it is worth the extra few dollars to buy the better zip ties and have an easy inspection.

Yep replaced all the nylon cable ties with the new Tefzel cable ties in the engine compartment. I bought them at cabletiesunlimited.com. They came in 3 days by way of USPS from Ohio to Oregon. I was very pleased with the the structure of the tie. I bought both 7" & 4". 100 of each,but will use the nylon every where else. The price was the least of all that I checked out. Just tell them you heard it on VAF thread. I think iam allowed to say that. Very nice and customer orientated company.

Ron in Oregon RV9A

My philosophy for tie wrap use is simple. I assume they WILL fail and only use them to clean things up like wiring harnesses etc... in a non critical manner. Adel clamps and other suitable hardware are used for security.
All of my standard 185deg tie wraps could fail at once and I would never know or care until the next time the cowl was off. I have not had one fail in 9 years, 700 hours, or even appear stressed. Keep in mind, they are tested to hold the rated capacity at that max temperature. I doubt most use tie wraps beyond a small fraction of their rating. I certainly wouldn't use them for anything other than organizing wires or as a pseudo stand off, again, in a non critical manner.
I don't care if they are Tefzel or not, but that is just my opinion.

Back