Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2021, 04:41 AM

Default iPad Mounting in RV10

I donít ďneedĒ an iPad in the 10, but there are a few times where its nice to have - especially when getting rerouted. Seems like its easier to do with Foreflight and then send it to my panel versus trying to reprogram my avionics.

Looking for mounting ideas for the RV-10, that does NOT include suction cup mounts. Iím thinking about upgrading my 4 year old iPad Pro to the new mini. Maybe there is a good option for mounting to the windscreen support bar?

Brownie points if you have a photo.

Thanks,
Charlie
FlyingThe10 On Facebook
FlyingThe10 On Instagram
Old 12-31-2021, 04:54 AM

Back in the days with all the Navworks debacle, I used my mini for ADSb. I had a clamp mount to the cabin cover support bar. I could lower it, but then it covered the avionics in the center stack. Conversely, I could raise above the glare shield. Then it obstructed the view a bit and it was subject to getting heated by the sun. I had it thermal shutdown a couple times.

Personally, my iPad stays in the seat back pocket. I donít find it useful other than giving it to back seat passengers to track the flight. I donít have the necessary gear in the plane to upload to the 650.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cderk View Post
I donít ďneedĒ an iPad in the 10, but there are a few times where its nice to have - especially when getting rerouted. Seems like its easier to do with Foreflight and then send it to my panel versus trying to reprogram my avionics.

Looking for mounting ideas for the RV-10, that does NOT include suction cup mounts. Iím thinking about upgrading my 4 year old iPad Pro to the new mini. Maybe there is a good option for mounting to the windscreen support bar?

Thanks,
Charlie
Old 12-31-2021, 08:02 AM

Default I used...

I went with the Pivot Claw mount and Pivot case.

I use this case at work and in is pretty nice, however it does add some bulk to the iPad mini.

Either way, the claw top mount works great and other companies offer different case solution with a claw mount...

https://flyboys.com/collections/pivo...t-claw-mount-1

RV-10
N464RL
Going to Paint at Evoke!
Garmin G3X-T, Barrett EFII S32, CAI, MTV-9B

Dues+ Paid 2021,...Thanks DR+
Old 12-31-2021, 08:14 AM

If you have the aerosport center console, maybe the aerosport iPad mount?
Old 12-31-2021, 08:37 AM

A RAM ball bolted into a side panel or convenient location and the standard RAM mount. Works superbly on our 7 and can be 'snuggled down' into the corner once the canopy is down.

Super simple and cheap.

Donated in 2021
Old 12-31-2021, 08:46 AM

Here are some pics of my RAM mount in my -7A. Love the setup! First pic just shows where the ball is mounted. You can very easily take the mount on and off. The arm can also be purchased in different lengths.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	20307  Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	20308  

Last edited by jcarne : 12-31-2021 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-31-2021, 09:20 AM

I had a ram ball with a ram x-grip https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...m_11-18170.php mounted in a position similar to the one posted by @jcarne. It worked great for the pilot. It was easy to position to get the best viewing angle. But it stuck out from the panel way too much for my liking and it was difficult to remove the ipad in flight. (I like to have it close when reading a plate).

Subsequently I changed to a magnetic mount https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It has held my ipad without fail, and it is easy to remove the ipad in flight. However you can not change the view angle, basically making it impractical for the pilot to view while in flight. It does hold the ipad close to the panel making it look as if it was permanently installed, well almost.

Currently in flight my copilot wife uses it to play movies on long trips, and I use the Dynon HDX and Avidyne IFD for all the information I need. The only only thing I am missing is the ability to hold an approach plate close, so I use paper on a clipboard for planned approaches and the HDX for any other approach. I am considering adding an ipad mini, but it would be stored in a map pocket and only used to pull up a plate if I did not have a paper copy.
Old 12-31-2021, 09:35 AM

Default iPad Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by cderk View Post

Thanks,
Charlie
I think I've posted on this before; don't recall if I included a pic. The cable is just a lightning plug (other end plugged into a USB outlet in the O/H console). Unless I'm on a long x-c, I don't normally bother to keep the iPad plugged in.

Basically, I prefer the iPad for my EFB, including ADSB-in. My PFD is an older 7" GRT Sport SX, and if I use split screen, things either get condensed or dropped. Additionally, having the traffic display near the windscreen keeps "eyes out" when scanning for the target.

The components are from RAM. The clamp is a motorcycle handlebar mount (ball). One extension (3-inch-ish) and a second ball mounted on the tablet holder. I think the latter is called an x-mount, but that may be the phone version. It's very secure, but releasable with just a squeeze of the tabs on the side. The balls/extension allow positioning to minimize covering up anything that's routinely scanned on the panel. From the left seat, I have to crane just a bit to see the right side of the audio panel and the upper right corner of the 430W--not a significant issue. If you prefer a landscape orientation for the iPad, "panel coverage" is even less.

I get ADSB-in and drive my EFB with a stratux box (~$200--cheap for what it provides), which includes a standalone AHRS. The stratux is powered by a battery pack placed between the front seats--easy to change out on the go if power gets low. If the GRT were to fail, or I'd need to completely shut down the electrical system in an emergency, one tap of the iPad gives me a fully independent "partial panel" split screen that has way more info than my "full panel" did back in round dial days (except of course that altitude is GPS-derived, airspeed is really groundspeed, and heading is really track). The stratux is secured to the bar just behind the rear seats. With the fiberglass top on the -10, reception is not an issue. I've added a "gyro reset" to my cruise checklist, just in case the stratux got jostled when loading bags. I've used this setup to fly simulated instrument approaches--PFD on top, geo-referenced approach plate on bottom of the iPad. Not quite as good as a full glass panel and definitely not "IFR legal", but in a pinch the odds of getting down safely would be markedly increased...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPad Mount.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	20310  
Old 01-01-2022, 04:54 AM

Default Meanwhile in Australia.....

Australia does not have ADS-B IN!
So no weather updates......

The iPad is incredibly useful for situation awareness in Australia as long as you have a Cell equipped iPad.
3G and 4G coverage means that most populated areas on the East Coast of Australia will give you good coverage and weather updates.
Avplan EFB is amazing!
https://www.avplan-efb.com/

Can u live with out it? Yep, but it sure is nice.....

RV-10 #40597
Dual SDS CPI
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=140051
Airflow Systems Air-Con
VH-XTE 900hrs +
Redcliffe,Brisbane
Australia
Photos : https://goo.gl/photos/zsfBeVofHMe4ze7i7
Old 01-01-2022, 01:53 PM

Ashley - what mount are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyone View Post
Australia does not have ADS-B IN!
So no weather updates......

The iPad is incredibly useful for situation awareness in Australia as long as you have a Cell equipped iPad.
3G and 4G coverage means that most populated areas on the East Coast of Australia will give you good coverage and weather updates.
Avplan EFB is amazing!
https://www.avplan-efb.com/

Can u live with out it? Yep, but it sure is nice.....

FlyingThe10 On Facebook
FlyingThe10 On Instagram